Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
We have started construction!!

Posted by finethreads (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 10:45

We have just started construction of our new home in the Florida Panhandle. Just a few steps from the beach.

Lots are small here so we had to be a little creative in our design to maximize space usage. We designed it to be old age friendly with two masters on the main level. Both main floor baths have no threshold showers with trench drains.

The room over the garage is a studio for our business with lots of heated and cooled storage along the sides. We are pre plumbing this area for another full bath.

House is our main residence, but will rent for 2-3 months during our high (hot) season.

Comments welcome!
Masonplan A02-FIRST FLOOR (1)(1)-page-001Here is the First Floor. Second to follow

This post was edited by finethreads on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:03

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: We have started construction!!

Masonplan A03-SECOND FLOOR (1)(2)-page-001

This post was edited by finethreads on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 13:00

o

Masonplan A03-SECOND FLOOR (1)(2)-page-001

This post was edited by finethreads on Sat, Aug 16, 14 at 12:58

o

Side elevations

o

Foundation started last week!

o

Hi finethreads,
Looking good! You must be excited about getting construction underway.
Question and a thought -- will you be using the studio area to store your things during the rental months? Would it be useful to have a separate exterior entrance to that space? Depending on the ceiling height, maybe over the wood deck next to the garage doors? You might need to steal some space from the bunk room. Just throwing that out there.
Good luck!

o

Hello, yes that area over the garage will be our storage when we rent. Great idea on the separate entrance. We did briefly consider that, but were so overwhelmed with the cost overruns we incurred as a result of other design changes, including additional square feet, that we passed on it. Thanks for the encouraging words!

o

Duplicate

This post was edited by finethreads on Sat, Jun 21, 14 at 13:30

o

Stem wall and piers were filled with concrete; garage pad poured. Moving right along!

o

Framing is progressing nicely

o

We are saving a lot of the original Live Oak trees in the front of the house and garage. We will cull out a few, leaving the healthy and best placed.

First change order - we are following our designer's recommendation and using open cell spray foam on the rafters, knee walls and gable ends. That way our ductwork will travel through semi conditioned attics.

o

The front of the house is currently hidden by approximately 26 Live Oak trees and a couple of Magnolia trees. Lots of nice native vegetation to work with when we get to the landscaping stage.

o

Finethreads - Looking very nice. When its finished, I want to rent it but due to my build, I am sure I won't be able to afford it. ;)

o

Framing completed and now we go to plumbing, hvac and electrical rough in. We are currently away from the construction site and will not return until September 1. I really miss the daily construction site check.

This post was edited by finethreads on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 7:36

o

Front of House looking East is still partially obscured by Live Oak trees, some of which will be kept for landscaping.

This post was edited by finethreads on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 7:43

o

Here is a shot of the back of the house. Looking at the master bedroom and back porch.

o

A close up view of the first and second floor porches, previously shown hidden behind live oak trees.

o

We need to finalize our house colors today. More specifically, we need to pick the main exterior color. We have already picked out our trim, which is Benjamin Moore White Dove. The rafter tails have already been painted with this color.

Also, our Marvin Integrity windows have a bronze exterior finish and our front door will be real wood mahogany.

For main exterior we have selected Benjamin Moore Wolf Gray. Using their paint program, I have painted a gable roof house with these colors. What do you think?

This post was edited by finethreads on Fri, Aug 8, 14 at 9:09

o

That looks lovely! Love the colors!

o

Thank you AngelaZ!. I have attached an elevation drawing for our actual house.

o

I love the Panhandle! We've dragged it from one end to the other; from St Marks to Pensacola. We almost bought a lot on Cape San Blas years ago. Good luck with your build!

o

We haven't been down that far south yet MushCreek. Our search extended between Gulf Shores, Al and Panama City Beach. So many nice locations; it was a difficult decision.

I can't wait to travel further south and see the sights. It looks very nice down your way.

o

We're not in FL any more. After 30 years in the Tampa- St Pete area, we bought rural acreage, and are building our last house (I hope!) in upstate SC.

There are a lot of interesting little towns along Hwy 98. Make sure to pick up some local seafood- shrimp, oysters, scallops, and 'bulldozers' if you find 'em.

o

Hi, I just saw your post today, I guess I should've kept my eyes open for new postings. I tried to read your floor plans but the resolution is quite low and I wasn't able to read some of the notes. One thing that caught my eye at the start is the bedrooms. I always go through a furnishing plan with my clients and discuss where the beds, TV, dressers, nightstands, etc. will go. Sizes and all that. I also discuss the orientation of the house and how that affects the placement of the windows, as relates to views and sun position. For example to think about how a particular client likes to watch TV in the afternoon but the only wall where a TV will go will receive a lot of glare from the windows facing the west, etc.
So one concern I have is that there appears to be limitations in terms of furnishing the bedrooms. Do you have a furnishing plan? Have you discussed this with your designer? You probably have and it's all been addressed but it's hard to tell from the low resolution plans. House is looking great!

o

Windows, siding and trim are happening

o

Another photo of side entry garage. Still can't see the front of the house because of all the trees.

o

Siding and trim are going up.

o

Here is some siding painted with our chosen color, BJ Wolf Gray.

o

Another photo showing our house color Wolf Gray

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here