Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
etr2002

Know who architect is?

etr2002
9 years ago

I'm trying to find-out who the architect is for a plan so I can inquire about whether there are any pictures available of this home after it is built. I called Builder House Plans but was told that this information cannot be released. Any help with identification is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful: House Plan

Comments (7)

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

This house looks like it was designed by a drafting technician or other unlicensed person. It is not the sort of design that most architects would want to claim.

I will be surprised if an experienced architect designed such a house.

Good luck with your project.

• ineffablespace
    9 years ago

I think there might be an underlying boilerplate design for various house styles offered by companies like this and the variations are designed by moving various parts around. They probably can't release a name of an individual person because there isn't one.

• etr2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses. Virgilcarter, I am intrigued by the comments within your post and coud likely learn a lot from you. Can you explain what is so bad about the plan that no architect would claim it? I have never built a home before, so comments are very much appreciated.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I'll chime in with an answer on that question:

It's an extremely convoluted floor plan with a symmetry imposed on in it so you can see the repeated shapes of rooms comparing left and right--but this is something that you won't experience walking around the house at all, because it's so complicated and chopped up.

There are angles all over the inside of the house, probably to add some sort of "interest" but in reality they just add odd shapes to some of the rooms, and make some of the spaces awkward, with some rooms or closets shouldering into other rooms.

The house has almost three dozen corners on the outside, and a lot of very nice, pretty houses have only four. The master bedroom closet is as big as the secondary bedrooms and the dining room. There's no real back entry into the house except through the garage. The only public coat closet for the house is nowhere near any entry way. The house isn't very functional.

Stylistically it's also very complex and looks nothing like a "farmhouse" at all. Maybe what they are calling it doesn't mean much, but it gives one the idea that they don't know what they are talking about and making stuff up.

The only thing that I disagree about what Virgilcarter has said is that an architect probably had nothing to do with a design like this. I dunno, I think that there are architects who design nothing but houses like this and get very rich doing it. I've seen the plans generated myself. A "good" architect, and I suppose I am being subjective and judgmental in a general sense--will be able to produce something that is much simpler, more practical, handsome and better proportioned, even if it is still impressive in size.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

Here is a site with stock designs by architects and designers with names. The quality and skill are much higher here. Perhaps you can find something appealing.

http://houseplans.southernliving.com/

Good luck with your project.

• etr2002
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the explanations as well as the link that was provided. We are really leaning towards using an architect because ths is all so foreign to us and we will live in this house a long, long time hopefully.

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

The challenge of using stock plans, as opposed to having an experienced local architect work with you for a custom design, have often been discussed in this forum in the past. Since you mention that "this is all so foreign to us...", it may be worth repeating some of the key issues to be aware of when considering stock plans:

--Stock plans are generic, that is they are not designed to fit local site and climatic conditions, local ordinances and regulations, and other key local conditions;
    --Stock plans may not be sufficient to obtain a local building permit, depending on local permit requirements;
    --Stock plans may not include foundation design, structural/lateral design and roof design;
    --Stock plans may not include mechanical, plumbing, electrical, lighting and signal/communications design;
    --Stock plans may not include the design of special areas such as kitchen, bath, laundry, office, etc.
    --Stock plans may have dimensions for corridors, stairs, and other critical spaces which may not meet local code requirements and/or may not meet accepted "good use" practice (for example, stairs which may be too steep and/or too narrow for comfort and frequent use; inadequate space allowed for bathroom and kitchen fixtures and fittings; corridors too narrow; improper exits, particularly from second and third floor bedrooms; etc.)

In addition, many folks who start with stock plans may want to modify them in one way or another and will need to investigate whether to have the owner of the stock plans make the change or have a local professional make the changes.

Thus, when considering the use of stock plans it is always important for home owners to do their due diligence to determine the answers to these and similar issues, including the time and cost for any necessary supplemental drawings and specifications.

Finally, depending on the architectural licensing laws and regulations in each state, folks should be aware that in most cases it may be illegal for architects to take responsibility for and "stamp" drawings and specifications that either they did not personally prepare or that were not prepared under their direct supervision. The reason for this state law is for professional accountability and consumer protection. This is why licensed architects, for example, may be unable to simply make a few "drafting changes" to stock plans and may be required by law to
    design, draw and specify all of the documents requireded for a local building permit (if one is required).

Hope this helps shed some light on some of the key early planning and budgeting decisions leading to a new home.

Good luck on your project.