Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

I'd like to double check (master bath layout)

laurajane02
11 years ago

I've gotten so much help from this forum so far. We are currently framing the main floor. Here's the layout for the master bath and closet:

Is there anything that I should change? I'm planning to make the door to the master bath a pocket door, but otherwise, I don't see any major problem areas. But then, I'm not an expert at all, so I'd like to double check here.

Thanks!

Laura

Comments (12)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Is that the entry door to your master bedroom on the diagonal by the closet? (It took me a while to see that it probably is, and isn't another closet).

I don't know how your log framed house needs to line up, but do you need to have the wall between the bathroom and closet at the door end where it is?
    I think I would be inclined to line it up (without the jog) with the bathroom wall in the area of the vanity (just extend that straight to the bedroom). And, move the closet door to the left. With a pocket door to your bathroom, this would allow you or a future person to have a double master vanity easily (or you can simply extend the length of your single sink vanity). If you frame it like it is drawn, you really can't get that second sink in there ever.

And, I don't think the jog serves anything except to tuck the doors against a wall. Given that you won't be tucking one of the doors (since it will be a pocket), and you won't lose any closet hanging space to move your closet door, that would be my preference.

The one draw back to my idea is that you will have to slightly close your bedroom door to walk straight into the closet, but the added vanity space in the bathroom would be worth it to me.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kirkhall~ I'll have to see if that log beam was flattened for the wall... If not, then I could definitely remove the jog. You make some great points!

Yes, the angled door is the entry to our bedroom (it is angled to be less visible to the great room).

I wish that we could also do a pocket door to the WIC, but I don't see the space.

Thanks for taking the time to respond!

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

You could do a bifold or a french door though (split a regular door in 2. Results in less door intrusion into the closet space).

• Nick
    11 years ago

I see a possible problem with adding a pocket door to the master bath. Considering the location of your closet door, the pocket door would have to slide open to the right. In the shower, I imagine the plumbing would be set up on this same wall. From what I've seen, the cavity that a pocket door slides into would restrict any plumbing from coming through inside this wall. I'm guessing that you would be forced to place the showerhead/faucets on the exterior wall, which isn't the best idea in log homes.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kirkhall ~ definitely a consideration. Thanks!

Nicke ~ That exterior wall won't be log though, it's regular 2x6 framing (only the posts are logs). Would the plumbing still be an issue?

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sorry, there are log beams along the ceiling as well, but none of the walls will be log.

• Nick
    11 years ago

Plumbing in regular 2x6 exterior walls is okay, just consider how well they are insulated, especially if you live in a colder climate. Pipes are more likely to freeze on outer walls.

• Nick
    11 years ago

Plumbing in regular 2x6 exterior walls is okay, just consider how well they are insulated, especially if you live in a colder climate. Pipes are more likely to freeze on outer walls.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

How wide is the closet? I can't read the dimensions. Are you planning on having hanging clothes on both of the long walls?

• lavender_lass
    11 years ago

Why do you want to change the bathroom door to a pocket door? It makes sense 'as is' with the little wall for the door to swing against.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

For one thing, changing it out gives another wall for towels to hang on.

You can still move the wall over and keep a regular door too. It leaves the option to have a longer vanity to remove the jog in the wall (not to mention, makes the wall easier to frame).

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had 2 reasons for a pocket door:

1. as Kirkhall said, so we'd have a place to hang our towels near the shower
    2. we would probably almost never close this door, so at least a pocket door wouldn't be in the way.

I was concerned with how the WIC door and the bathroom doors would match if one was a pocket and one wasn't, but seeing as one door would usually be open, this would rarely be noticeable.