Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody use Koma trim boards?

Posted by kandkwi (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 27, 08 at 10:15

Has anybody used Koma trim boards? If so, did you leave them white or did you paint them. If painted, what prep work was needed and how is the paint holding up?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody use Koma trim boards?

We used Azek trimboards which is a similar product. Nice product to work with. The manufacturers instructions don't require painting, but I believe if you truly want a nice looking final product -- even if keeping the white color -- you should paint.

We used SW Duration (water based) vinyl safe formula for painting. Takes a good 2-3 full coats to get the full color. (I'm sure white would require less). I found it easiest to roll on first coat, then used a brush for subsequent coats.

We would give a light sanding before painting (mostly to knock off the dirt), then wash with a damp rag. One thing to keep in mind is that Azek can take 20-30 days to fully cure. We did a finger nail scratch the day after painting and paniced b/c the paint came off.

o

Thanks for the reply niff. I just hate the thought of having to paint all the trim. Did you paint them before they were put up or after?

o

We did both. If possible, I'd put a coat on prior to installation, and then finish up after the boards were hung. We installed using stainless screws, so either way, I found I had to get a least two coats to conver screw filler adequately.

Either way, if painted the stuff look realllly nice. If not painted, the edges are pretty filthy.

Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here