Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teacher_guy

Newbie - 2nd floor addition - exterior design help needed

teacher_guy
9 years ago

Hi- I'm a single teacher w/ no design sense building a second floor addition to a 760 sq ft per level and would appreciate ANY exterior design advice.

- I have red brick 1st floor w/ basement, will have siding second floor (colour?) - faces NE.

- 1st floor - kitchen is on left and recessed living room on right, Pan shows recessed second floor (left) but want even front (each window (white) is a bedroom (exterior shutters? colours?). Thinking they should match design/colour of 1st floor windows (bigger?).

- Should I counter lever second floor to extend forward 3-4 ft? Might look top heavy (porch roof might disguise that???).

- Thinking about an elevated window between upper windows (centered over front door for balance (stained glass? - front door isn't but has a bevelled glass design).

- Not sure about roof design/colour or trim colour either. Paved driveway to the left.

- Keep sliding door to kitchen there or replace w/ window to make small kitchen bigger?

I've posted plans (question marks indicate should I use them too). Thanks for any input...really thanks!

Comments (11)

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

If you're going to introduce asymmetric detailing to the home, it would help if the entry was off center to balance the look. It's currently imbalanced because it tries too hard for symmetry with the wrong details.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would do everything I could to make it not look like an addition so keep the windows and the trim and the door all the same style. Use the same trim color top and bottom to help unite the two.
    {{gwi:1454985}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Bart's remodel

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

It would help a lot to see photos of the existing house and a floor plan. :)

• teacher_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palimpsest - I tried to upload this before but it would only accept one pix. I'll try to post floor plan but basically kitchen to our left, living room to our right, small washroom - middle left and tow bedrooms at back of house.

Hope this helps and thanks for the thoughts.

• teacher_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Palimpsest - I tried to upload this before but it would only accept one pix. I'll try to post floor plan but basically kitchen to our left, living room to our right, small washroom - middle left and tow bedrooms at back of house.

Hope this helps and thanks for the thoughts.

{{!gwi}}

• teacher_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is the present floor plan as requested.

Thank again for any help

• millworkman
    9 years ago

How about something we can read?

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I blew it up and cropped it. It's blurry but you can kind of get an idea of scale from the 5' bathtub.

• palimpsest
    9 years ago

I would probably do a front facing gable as on the original house, and consider putting a window over the front door or centering a larger window over the window and door on the first floor, rather than having the window to the left sit asymmetrically.

The porch roof is not correct as drawn. The right side will come up further onto the second floor façade because it is deeper and there is more porch to cover. That will affect sill height on that window.

• teacher_guy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Palimpsest for blowing it up and commenting and to other for their comments.

I've been away but got together w/ and architect last week. Surprised at the estimate - $6000 for design/plans/working w/ city - permits. Is that in the range for a basic second floor addition to a 750sq ft house?

Palimpsest - both 1st floor windows will be partially overshadowed by a front porch with sloping roof (this roof helps disguise the brick to siding transition and "heavy" look of the second floor being bigger than the first (taller due to running floor joists over existing trusses (sorry if my terms are wrong).

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Just wait until you get the construction estimates. This isn't a fiancially feasable project from a resale standpoint. Your money would go further with a teardown, with a higher resale value.