Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Driveway Repaving

Posted by litlbstard (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 8, 12 at 10:11

Hello,

I got en estimate for my driveway repaving and was wondering if the prices seem outrages or not? Not sure about how much it should be per square foot, Size of Driveway is 2755 Square Feet and I live in the suburbs of Chicago. This is the first estimate I got, so not sure if others will be about the same.

Good 1) Pave with 2'' Thick Asphalt.-- $5,617 Sqfoot 2.04
Better 2) Pave with 3'' Thick Asphalt.-- $6,262 Sqfoot 2.27

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Driveway Repaving

Is this an overlay, or are they removing the old, and then fully repaving?

o

In addition to Kirkhall's questions, you do know that paving/asphalt is tied to oil prices? Maybe wait until prices go down, if that's an option.

o

Oil prices are down. WTI is at a 17 month low. Of course, you can hope for another recession soon!

Forget the 2" thickness if you ever have a delivery truck, septic cleanout service or the like in your driveway.

Also check on the grade of asphalt used. You want at least "B" or "B modified."

The most important prerequisite is an adequate compacted or settled base.

Road contracts have strict provisions including independent testing for density. The best you can do is ask for previous job references.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here