Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
2nd Floor Addition - Basic Planning Advice - 1st Post

Posted by Teacher_Guy (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 15, 12 at 10:05

Newbie so thanks for understanding. I'm a teacher and just don't have a design gene/eye.

Frustrated because my Architect bypassed rough sketches going right to drawings but everything is in the wrong place! Trying to get a better handle on what can/should go where and how big should it be so I'd appreciate help w/ very basic placement ideas and dimension recommendations. Evaluation/ideas on even parts of this project are appreciated. 1st level plan attached. I have DWG files from survey and drawings if helpful.

Adding full second floor on existing footprint of 750 sq ft (w/ 750 sq ft finished basement) brick bungalow built in 1949 - concrete foundation. House faces East to street.
Recently renovated both upstairs (kitchen & bathroom to be done this yr) and downstairs. Added back deck and 4-season room on main level.

I like a classic look w/ natural light, views, efficiency, ingenuity (clever/multi-purpose/convertible use of spaces). I don't mind paying for value and would like to maximize present use and resale value.

Wants:

1) Would like a large back master bedroom - thinking whole SW side- w/ walk-in closet on N side of room.

2) Door to new upper level back deck (complete back span)

3) Fairly large bathroom w/ window (over existing bathroom for cost saving).

4) Preferably two bedrooms - E side (NE Bdrm can utilize cantilever over front indentation). One window each to balance front of house.

5) 42"+ staircase to upper level over new one to basement (so kitchen can be enlarged by moving existing basement stairs). Most likely spot - N side towards front. Realize this will make for smaller dining room but I only have it for resale purposes.

6) Replace sliding side door w/ high window to make that space usable as a seating area

7) Ideas kitchen space layout? Mini island?

8) Skylight and/or sun-tube suggestions?

9) Front porch (open or enclosed - suggestioins?) will hide ugly/broken brick, improve curb appeal.

10) Storage space anywhere - lacking now. Would like to keep main-floor closets but their removal makes one of the back rooms bigger.

13) High ceilings on 2nd floor.

Thanks so much for any help offered.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 2nd Floor Addition - Basic Planning Advice - 1st Post

Maximizing resale value here is putting away the plans and moving. You are planning a very expensive remodel here that you will NEVER recoup the costs from. Which is OK if you plan to live there long term or are willing to pay for the increased livability as an expense and not an "investment". But, be very very sure you completely internalize that statement before moving forward with your plans.

o
RE: 2nd Floor Addition - Basic Planning Advice - 1st Post

Assuming you've done what GreenDesigns says...

You use cardinal directions in your wants (bedroom on SW, etc). Is your layout, as we see it, cardinally oriented? (with N being UP?)?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here