Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sarahbr2

House plan review

sarahbr2
9 years ago

We have been working on our plan for awhile now and would like feedback on it. I am attaching the first and second floor plans here and posting the exterior in a different post since I have questions about the overall aesthetics. The lot is much wider than it is deep so the house is designed to suit this. We are getting close to submitting this for final approval (a few of our comments are written on this draft...hope this image is clear). We greatly appreciate any feedback/opinions! Everyone on here has been so helpful so far.

Comments (3)

• sarahbr2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Second floor (not sure how to do 2 attachments in one post)

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

How do you intend to use that hallway between your covered porch and your mudroom? Except for access to 2 tiny closets, it almost seems like wasted space.

Your entry way seems pretty large, yet with limited wall space, it doesn't appear to be very functional. And why 2 coat closets? I'm wondering where you would place a bench or small table. Is that an open staircase? When the door opens, does it face the part of the stairway where the wall begins? The entry could be nice if you had a nice large wall to install a great piece of artwork focal point. But there appears to be almost no wall space.

At 5' wide, you are limited to 12" deep shelves on each side of your pantry. Which might be fine for cans of soup. But think of all that stuff you buy in bulk at the warehouse stores - 16-18" deep shelves would be better. So try to add a foot of width to your pantry for 2 rows of shelves, or you could delete the width by a foot for 1 row of shelves.

Speaking of the pantry, it is a long walk from the garage, hauling groceries.

Is your kitchen island 8'? You'll never get 4 chairs on an 8' island. 9' would be better, 10' preferable. Or keep it to 3 stools at the island.

I'd prefer the deck to be accessible to the family room. Especially if you entertain in nice weather. Having the door off the nook realistically removes 3' of space from you nook.

Upstairs I don't like those angled doors for the playroom and the end bedroom. By moving the playroom closets to the wall against the laundry room (added benefit of sound barrier) you can extend the hallway to end straight. Have one room entered from the end of the hallway, and the other entered on the side.

• sarahbr2
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hallway from mudroom to yard was for a few reasons. 1) so kids could get their coats and shoes and go to backyard to play and when they come in with muddy feet they don't walk through the house. 2) Cat litter box is to the side of the closet so it is far from the rest of the house 3) Dog wash station by the door for muddy feet/paws etc.

One closet is for coats, one is for cleaning supplies like vacuum etc. We had a wall under the stairs but recently switched to an open staircase below to basement to make it feel more open. We could switch back I suppose then we have a wall.

We had to put the garage where it is based on the lot and i wanted the dining room on one side of the kitchen so that kind of forced us there. I do know it will be annoying but I figured I will deal with it.

Deck was originally accessible form family room but moved it now because the lot is sloped so that the left side of the house (where deck now is) will be a full walkout basement. It will provide a roof over the basement door.

Other ideas seem very helpful thanks! Anyone else have any ideas?