Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
It's June 2014, how is your build?

Posted by aries61 (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 9:47

It's already June and hopefully it will have more postings then May which the lowest for the year.

Postings for the year by month:
May 2014 postings 407
April 2014 postings 499
March 2014 postings, 473
February 2014 postings, 425
January 2014 postings, 417

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to May 2014 Part III

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: It's June 2014, how is your build?

Happy June 1 everyone. This is my first post. I have been watching all the progress you are all making and am so impressed with how your houses are coming together. It is truly inspirational to watch.
We are in the early stages of our build. I am sometimes feeling overwhelmed at the number of choices that we will face in the coming months. I will be visiting our lot for the first time tomorrow since things got started. I am so excited to see it in person. My task will be to find a rental where we will live until the house is done as well as choosing siding and roof colors and finalizing the kitchen and bath layout.

o

Welcome crafty_granny! The number of choices you'll face during your build is indeed overwhelming, but at least you've found the right support group. ;) The way I get thru it is to realize that when it's all over we'll have exactly what we want and nothing will need to be fixed, replaced, or worried about for at least a decade.

Are those SuperWalls precast foundation, or did they insulate?

On our build, we're 3 months in. Hopefully this is the halfway mark. Exterior is more or less done. Inside electrical, plumbing, & hvac are finishing. Insulation should be this week. I continue to catch 2, 3, 4 trades working at the same time. Crews in on Saturdays, crack of dawn. Strong work ethics give me the warm 'n fuzzies.

We finally got our kitchen redesign done, cab order is in. Six different showrooms and hundreds of miles to sit in tubs. Found out that the console vanity for our MBa had false drawers, so mad dash to find a replacement. That all put us a couple weeks behind on picks for our bathrooms and held up electrical and plumbing completion. We've learned to be flexible and not fall too much in love with any decision.

Here is a link that might be useful: a few more pix on our blog

This post was edited by oicu812 on Sun, Jun 1, 14 at 17:41

o

I also wasn't getting notifications. I assumed you were all busy with building. :)

Carsonheim- I hear you on the owner-builder issues. I have been finding the same thing just getting quotes. I find nobody takes me seriously until I bug them a few times. Then it takes WEEKS. I got a quote back on Friday for the stairs. I was in the showroom 5-6 weeks ago and explained what I wanted. I told him to quote on walnut treads. And if there was any doubt on any item, quote me the highest option and I could change it out for the cheaper one. So after a lot of reminders (harassing) he quotes maple treads (but if you want oak, it'll be just a little more) and didn't quote railings because he didn't know what kind I wanted. #1, if you'd done the quote 6 weeks ago, you'd have known what I wanted. And #2, how on earth is acceptable to consider stairs without railings??? Ugh. And we were really hoping to go with this guy because he does both metal and wood stringers, whereas most people only do one or the other. We want metal in visible places, but less expensive wood up to the 3rd floor and down to the basement. Hopefully, once my BIL gets involved, things will go smoother. He's built several houses and has contacts for most things. I've just been getting the quotes on stuff he doesn't have the contacts for (like metal and wood stairs). We're owner-builders for the bank, but DH's brother is the project manager/builder.

I finally got a quote for the trusses on Friday. Sent that off to the architect to see if what they are quoting on meets his approval. Then I think we'll contract with these guys, get drawings from them and get going on engineering. These are the guys BIL usually deals with. I sent out RFQs to 2 other companies in anticipation of a run around (I'm getting cynical) but I think we'll just move forward with this company.

June is a rainy month here, so we probably wouldn't want to dig in the next couple of weeks anyway.

Oh, I am not so jealous of the people moving right now. I cleaned out/organized my craft room over the last few months. Now that I can see the floor, I've accepted that it needs to be redone before we sell this place. (Hardwood instead of cheap 10 yr old laminate.) Just moving stuff out of there into another room so I can get at the floor seems like a monumental task. I am SO not looking forward to moving our whole house. :/

o

oicu812 - do you mind sharing the roof pitch of your main house and the garage? your exterior is very similar to what we're going for and we meet with our designer soon. thanks for any info - everyone's houses look great! I hope to join you all soon :)

o

laurensmon:house is 10/12, garage is 12/12.

o

Maybe this will be of some help to owner builders: I used a local contractor for my site work and concrete work. He also coached my on ICF construction. I was very fortunate to find someone to work with me this way! Anyhow, although I am the GC, using his name (and list of vendors) has opened a lot of doors with regard to subs. When I call, I say that' "John Doe gave me your number." They are more inclined to take action knowing that there would be feedback to one of their regular customers. I've even gotten discounts on building materials by using his name. He tells me the best places to buy materials, and the best subs to use. If you can somehow latch on to a contractor like this, it's well worth it!

I also make sure my subs know that they will be paid promptly upon completion- in cash. They seem to like that!

I have very little patience with unresponsive subs. If they can't be bothered to even quote the job, I suspect that they will be trouble during the build. I learned this from having my own business years ago.

o

We started on our house in January but an unusually bitter winter here in Tennessee got us a little behind!

The exterior of our house is probably 90% complete. It still needs paint on the exterior trim and the porches are not done. Inside all the plumbing, HVAC and electrical work is done.

First framing inspection is today! Fingers crossed that we pass so we can move on to drywall soon!! We can't wait to be in this house!

o

oicu812 - I love the colors on your house.

bluemoon - Good to see you are making progress. Your great room looks huge.

crafty granny - I love your view. It looks like you are building in a beautiful area.

amberm - I hate getting quotes for anything. Such a pain. I hope they start taking you seriously.

mushcreek - Very good advice. We have done pretty much the same thing. We have a "builder" who gets us in touch with the subs or tells us who we should call. But...we always find someone on our own also and get more than one quote just to make sure we aren't getting "hoo-doo'd". So far its worked out good.

There is a lot going on at our build. The exterior is getting buttoned up and drywall starts on Wednesday. DH and I have been checking all the insulation and filling small gaps and doing some heavy cleaning to get ready for them. Our regular baseball season ended but DS made the All-Star team. So, another month of baseball. Good for him but not so good for me. I was really looking forward to not having to worry about practice and games on the weekends. DS is excited though, so I'll just roll with it. I am tired. I'm tired of the DIY projects. Don't get me wrong, I love that we have been such a huge part of building this house. I love that there is not one single corner of the house that I don't know everything about. I also love that I know everything has been done the right way. I think I'm just burned out. It seems like everytime you finish something, there's two things added to the to-do list. Ok then, sorry for whining so early in the morning. Good day all.

o

Happy June, everyone.

Craft_granny - welcome! Your start looks great, I bet you are excited to go visit. Lovely spot

OICU - love your colors

JDEZ - your progress has been amazing!! I know you will get through this burn out and the end result will be spectacular.

We (well, FDH) pulled up over 40 stumps this past 5 days, and I started a great fire in one of the stump holes to burn off the tops and limbs of the pines we cut down. Will probably continue to burn through this weekend.

Hopefully within a month, this will turn into a mostly flat surface for our barn!

photo photo_zps2120edb0.jpg

o

Well we are almost back to where we were in February, (we had all our bids and were ready to go to bank). We had to re-do our plans completely due to our architect making our house 1500 sq ft too big - but he told us that it was only 159 over where we wanted to be and we were ok with that number.

Our builder is finalizing the plans and gathering new bids and we are gathering all our documents to get pre-approved at the bank. Here's hoping that we get to break ground this month. Our builder is fantastic and told us that move in would be 4 months from framing so we are hopeful to be in before Christmas.

NWHobart - we love your front door please give me detail as to where I may find it.

Everyones build are fabulous and I can only hope ours will look as good! We have been walking through one of our builders homes and watching it since they broke ground and he is true to his time frames pending weather and we are in the midwest :(

o

AngelaZ - Very nice!!

jkliveng - Your place is looking good. I'm sure it isn't easy to clear out all those stumps but it will look awesome when you're done.

Renee - That's too bad about the delay but it probably worked out better for you. I'm glad you have it all figured out now and I hope to see you posting some progress pics soon.

o

Renee0829 - These are Simpson Doors. The design is the Scarborough with Full Sidelights and Full Transom (which is not yet installed)

o

Jdez-pat pat, there there girl. It's okay to love it and be sick of it at the same time. ;). Way to go DS! So sorry mommy. We are not yet finished with baseball here. Seriously impeding unpacking or anything else... P.S. I think you will love your tray storage location. I keep reaching there for mine, doh!

Renee-here's to a quick jump start after all your troubles!

Amber-freakishly similar GC owner builder situation. :D. Thankfully we had great luck with all of our subs but 1.... That's all I am saying.

Porches poured last friday. They took a chance today and poured the approach and walkway and it is all being torn out tomorrow. Pop up down pour ruined it. BUMMER!!!

On a positive note the interest rates have dropped from 4% to 3.25%, woot woot!

I'll try to catch up with everyone later. Baseball again tonight.

o

Hi, guys :) Everything's looking good- some nice progress and gorgeous views, and someone had a wine grotto that I'm super jealous of! Ha ha.

Our house is finally starting to look like a house! We took the cat out there yesterday and she kept crawling up the dashboard to look at it. So much sunlight and none of the neighborhood cats tormenting her from outside... I think she's in love!

o

Oicu812- visited your blog. May I ask, what is the height of your fireplace hearth? Thank you.

We are almost 1 month in and still no framing started. Does it really take that long from dig date to framing? They started pouring driveway last week, but it is rainy this week, and so they have only poured the approach and the sidewalk.

This post was edited by northpolehome on Mon, Jun 2, 14 at 21:28

o

northpolehomeI'll measure the hearth for you when I'm out at the house in a couple days. We told our builder we wanted it to be like the fireplace at a nearby restaurant. Big central stone fireplace. Hearth that is bench high. Our kids enjoy sitting on the hearth in front of the fire. We were really unspecific about it and trusted him to do the right thing. I'd guess it's "bench" height, maybe 15" +/- 2"? I'll measure it and get back.

On your framing, no it doesn't need to take that long. But I'm sure each build is different. If your dig has ledge that needs to be blasted thru. If it requires some custom-order beams. If there's scheduling issues with the foundation or framing crews. Weather. Lots of factors. What's important is the delivery date, not the start date.

o

AngelaZ- I love your house! Beautiful design

OICU- that's looking really sharp. :)

LADYBROWN- excellent progress, really coming along.

NWHobart- those doors are just stunning.

Craftgranny- I love the natural way your home sits into the land. I can't wait to see it progress.

Things are hopping along again in my build. Paint is very close to being done, and the tilework has started, exterior columns being built, and the fixtures starting to go up. Crossing fingers that my walnut flooring arrives by the end of the week on schedule! Landscaping decisions are now causing me grief. Landscaping can be done later but the patios have to be poured NOW so we need to take all of that into account up front.

o

NWHobart - thanks for the detail on the doors and posting another picture. Me and DH are in love with those doors :)

Autumn.4 - I hope so too we really was hoping to be in the house by then end of summer not only a few months in on building :( Our builder is very good at keeping his subs in line but I know on 2 of his builds the owners said the painters is what held them up. Can't wait to be as far along as some of you.

I had all my selections made but now I have to go change some lighting due to the changing of the plans. I also have to rethink some of my original ideas of where tile and wood flooring will meet to make it look good. My builder also told me that Factory Outlet is being bought by Ferguson so I may need to find a new place to get all my appliances :( he suggested Nebraska Furniture Mart (he said they match prices) but they didn't have the dishwasher model I wanted. I guess I will have to rethink some of those choices too.

o

Crafty Granny- very pretty homesite. A nice change of topography to keep the views interesting.

carson- crossed the Brazos this weekend. Thought of you on the way back from Waco to Houston. Hope you have some concrete guys now.

Timing... this hole was dug right before we had our local deluge. This will one day soon, become a driveway- I hope.

o

Thanks all for the warm welcome. Supper excited to be standing in my basement!
oicu812 - they are superior walls. Builder highly recommended them. I wish I had been there to watch the install. It was all done in one day. The video online is pretty awesome to watch.
Anyway, going to pick siding and roof colors this afternoon so it really feels like we are on our way.

o

They connected all the pieces!!!!!!!

o

Yay :)

o

good luck with the driveway MUSICGAL!

fun to see something new everyday LADYBROWNCOAT!

Some lighting and paint, although I confess the paint doesn't come true in the photos:
Master Bath (Wales Gray)
[img] photo 0603141420b.jpg[/img]

closeup of fixture (full of fingerprints)
[img] photo 0603141421a.jpg[/img]

master shower (the brown on the tile is some of the paper backing still sticking):
[img] photo 0529141831a.jpg[/img]

They installed our doors today. Trim is white dove, master bedroom is Balanced Beige:
[img] photo 0603141437d.jpg[/img]

Dinette fixture. I wanted something very clean and NOT distracting to the windows. This was perfect:
[img] photo 0603141424.jpg[/img]

from across the room
[img] photo 0603141425.jpg[/img]

All the mudroom tile is set, not grouted yet- here is the laundry room portion: Wall color is Lenox Tan
[img] photo 0603141006.jpg[/img]

Lower Level Bar area. Paint is Brewster Gray. It has more blue than the pic is showing:
[img photo 0603141032a.jpg[/img]

Great room facing foyer and Den. SW Blonde and BM Fernwood Green in Den:
[img] photo 0603141007a.jpg[/img]

o

Everybody is making so much progress, I cannot wait until we are working on finishing the interior.

They have installed all of the shingles and windows. The contractor ordered the front door and garage door this week, as well as the brick. The bricklayers should start next week if this rain ever stops.

The plumber, electrician and HVAC contractor have all started this week, it has been a busy site.

o

ladybrowncoat - now that's a house!!

illinigirl - could you tell me how wide that portion of your mudroom is?

o

Jkliveng- the laundry is 10.5 long and 7-wish wide. The tiles are 18".

o

We are in waiting limbo and it's driving me nuts!

This is our second week of no contractors. With it happening so late in the building process, it is taking its toll on us. Three issues are causing us problems: granite installation delay, weather and local parade of homes.

Granite installation is finally scheduled for June 12. It keeps raining! The county isn't passing any inspections on septic installations because it's just too wet. We still need our laterals dug. Because our plumber has a big part in the parade of homes, they aren't responding to our plea that we need our kitchen faucet, hot/cold water dispenser faucet, and garbage disposal button onsite when granite is installed next week. DH has talked with them but he has asked me to call today.

Our trim carpenter is done except for installing our fireplace mantel and the window seats. He wanted to do both of them on one workday. The problem is we don't have the window seats yet. To refresh your memory, the window seats didn't fit in either space and the sales rep picked them up on May 5. I talked with him yesterday. He said when he took the cabinets back to the cabinet maker, he said they would have to be totally re-made. Our sales rep said he couldn't afford that and so he brought them back to local shop and HE is cutting them down and revising them! He was a cabinet maker before he turned sales rep. We will hold judgement until we actually see them. He said we'd have them by the end of this week. We will see how that goes!

On a positive note, DH finished trimming out and reinforcing all the closets systems. We still need rods, but that's it. Our new built-in microwave was delivered yesterday. DH is going to see how it fits into the cabinet today. He said he also plans to start installing those drawer slides in the kitchen cabinets.

I just want to be done! :-)

o

Loving all the exterior pics. That is an exciting stage, to see it form before you!

Hoosiers-oh no! :(. So tough to be THAT close an yet no movement. I hope your phone call today wil light the fire.

Illini-love your paint! I do see blue in that gray paint on my phone. :). I like your foyer light also.

So the latest internet fiasco-Charter wants $2,500 to run a line under the road to our house AND there is already a line on our property. Think again, not going to happen.

Cement re-poured. Gutters next week. Hope to close with bank next week. Yay!

Having closet systems installed. I cannot carry on in disarray. I am beside myself with the clutter lack of pantry and closet organizers is causing. No baseball tonight and tomorrow, hoping to organize as best I can. I still need rugs...the sand everywhere is getting to me. Should have millings down by the end of this week.

JDez-how are you?

Marjorie?

Reading and posting from the i-phone ugh. I don't need tv but I do 'need' Internet!

o

Autumn- feeling your organizational pain. I have friends who are projecting that I be in and organized enough to take a trip with them just a bit after our projected move-in! That Charter stuff is just crazy... how do they compete with satellite internet at those prices?
Hoosier- yeah, that has to be frustrating so close to the end, not to have your contractors onsite. I'm done babysitting at 3pm tomorrow, and after that, I will be going up to the buildsite and sit on them till they finish. There will be no joy in mudville (literally) if we don't make good headway this month. Finally got one of my painters back, so that's good.
Starting July 1st, my landlady is going to start to show my rental to new potential tenants- so the heat is ON.

o

duplicate deleted

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jun 4, 14 at 13:55

o

Autumn4, so you've got a connection into the property already, and the cable company wants to add a second one at your expense? Or is the existing line for another company? It's odd either way. I used to work at the cable/internet company here, in the department that runs new lines. In new subdivisions, we'd run cable to all the houses at our own expense. We figured the potential revenue from new clients for the next 25 years was worth the effort. In rural areas, the cost might be too high to get the cable from the last connection point to the house. Sometimes it's not just about cable, but the equipment needed to ensure the signal can reach that far. In those cases, the homeowner usually has to wait until something gets built up past him and the cable company is passing him anyway. Crossing a road is expensive. But that's why they plan for the subdivision, so they don't have to dig it up for each new house.

Our cable company has a public wifi network. Some of the boxes are designed to be placed outdoors. I'm hoping I can call some connections and get one of the boxes placed on my temporary power pole. So I won't ever be without internet at my site. :D

o

Hoosierbred, you mentioned a parade of homes in your posting. Curious, what city is it in? I enjoy going to different parade of homes and seeing them.

Thannks

o

Aries, Evansville, Ind. June 7-15.

o

Hoosierbred, thank you .

o

We are on hold too. We have a fire sprinkler that has to be inspected and we had to "surprise" pay another $5K to the county so it took us a week or so to put that together. Then, we requested the inspection that is at least a week out. Bummer for sure just sitting.

o

Musicgal-I am stammering here-a trip right after projected move in? Gah, noooooooo. If I am completely honest I have been a wreck since we moved in. It is so disheveled it does not feel like home. We have not been here enough to do anything about it, then add no organizers. Jeepers. I have been on edge with bouts of tears and I am NOT a crier. Likely it is also adjustment to me working full time days with hubby on afternoons and my oldest 'graduating' from elementary school. Wahhhhh! But I am a creature of habit and routine so I am not a go with it spontaneous girl. I have tried but it just stresses me out. So if you are a go with the flow type you might handle it all easy peasy. :)

Amber-so the sitch is the line on our property doesn't have a 'drop' and they don't want to split it. They are proposing using the line across the street which requires going under the road. They will pay up to 3k and the quote was 5500...so 2500 for us. That said I know nothing about drops for lines or anything else. So what do you think Chief GW Resident Cable expert? Still waiting for the tech to call. We are on a 2 acre parcel backing up to state land. There is a subdivision around the corner though and I am sure they have it. I hope you are able to pull some strings for uninterrupted internet! That would be the bomb!!!

Hubby checked satellite, not sure about reliability being in the woods. Still not sure what to do.

o

I just got a second quote back on my stairs. First quote, with maple treads and no railing was $29k. Add in railings and change the treads to walnut: $115k. Hmmm, this is sounding like a "we don't want this job" quote.

The stairs alone with walnut instead of maple went from $29k to $65k. I'll have to call them and see if walnut really costs $36k more, or if they're just trying to get rid of me.

Autumn, I'm guessing that the line on your property connects to a node that's too busy. Too many customers. Or the equipment to add a drop is more than the cost of running from across the street. The line across the street might connect to a less busy node. I know some friends built on an acreage and couldn't get our services. The company simply wouldn't run it out there, too far from the nearest node. I don't know if they ever got it. It's been about 4 years now. I know they originally got something over the cell phone network. I know that's been canceled now because he's been complaining about them still billing them. But I don't know what they replaced it with.

o

We are making crazy progress and now the fun stuff (not) making final decisions on every minute detail and second guessing every decision! We won't be back to the site until the end of July and they say by then the roof will be on.

o

Amber-thanks for the info. 115k? Wow. Didn't expect that much of a difference. So are you going to request a quote from anyone else to verify?

Herringk-looks good! The roof will make it look like a house! Exciting times.

Illini-too lazy to post back into kitchens. Dh got the pulls on the doors put on.

o

I don't want walnut that badly. If it's really just walnut that makes the difference, I'll gladly go down to maple. We can also change half the stairs from metal stringers to wood (down to the basement and up to the 3rd floor). I have one other quote for doing half the stairs in metal, and it's higher.

o

Walnut is so pretty but yes I agree that the cost is crazy steep for it. Stringers were so pricey we just have one section from the main floor up the first part of the stairs before turning at the u. I think you can easy do what you plan and get some of the look you want without breaking the bank.

o

Walnut is so pretty but yes I agree that the cost is crazy steep for it. Stringers were so pricey we just have one section from the main floor up the first part of the stairs before turning at the u. I think you can easy do what you plan and get some of the look you want without breaking the bank.

o

Hi everyone. Still waiting on preliminary drawings to be finished by architect. Sigh. In the meantime, I've decided to start doing some tentative selecting to help builder with budget numbers. I'm already frozen with indecision. I went to our towns appliance store. No Thermador, so that's off the list. I looked at the all refrigerator and all freezer Frigidaires that I thought I was going to get....I hated them. Way too boxy looking and a weird shade of stainless. Can't afford Subzero or Wolf. Salesman said next best is GE Monogram. Pretty stuff, plus they have a good deal going now. I could get my entire kitchen with a built in all refrigerator, cheap all freezer (that would be in the pantry, so I don't care too much), an induction 36" cooktop, wall oven, and free dishwasher and free hood insert. Total comes to $12k. Thoughts? Hubby felt it was too much, plus GE Monogram reviews don't seem to be great (I can't find much online).

o

First time to post a pic here on the thread. Here is what we have so far. A driveway without a house hahaha. Went to the site today and nothing happened there today. Still no framers :(. Musicgal, this pic is for you (you requested it in the other thread).

Hi Michelle1973! Subzero/Wolf, Thermador and Jenn-Air usually have those same or similar promotions going on (free hood and free dishwasher). Just make sure though that you can use the free hood. I know their hoods are 600cfm or more, and in our area you are required to have "make-up air" which costs "about $5k" to be able to put that kind of vent. We went with the Thermador package and a Ventahood hood (cheaper than having to put makeup air). As for reviews, you will get mixed reviews for any brand you choose among these, I believe. Those, and Viking, are the most common brands used here, if you want to spend a little more on the appliances. GE is not very common in our area.

This post was edited by northpolehome on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 0:09

o

harringk - I don't know how you can stand to not be there everyday to check on the build. Then again, it might be good.

amberm - That is crazy numbers on the stairs. Where I live, you can build a small house for 115k...lol. I hope you can get a quote that's easier to digest.

Autumn - I like the pulls. Sorry to hear that your house doesn't feel like home yet but hopefully, things will slow down with the baseball schedule and you can start concentrating on organizing. How do the boys like it? Also, on the internet thing, we are in the same boat. Our only options are satellite (which I've had before and I hate) and cell phone company wifi. I hate having limits on gigabytes or whatever they are because DS is getting older and there is no telling how much data he will gobble up someday. I've been begging our local phone company to install DSL on our street. I don't think they will.

Michelle - Those brands of appliances that you named are out of my price range so I'm not too familiar with any of them. I know Jenn aire (spelling ???) is popular around here. Why can't you go to another store? It is a local loyalty thing? I have shopped local as much as I can but I have found big savings by going an hour away and purchasing big items.

Mfatt - Waiting is the worst!!! I am not a patient person. And what's up with the county? You must have a very high cost of living where you are. Our building permit was almost 2k and I thought I was going to puke over that number. I'd be in serious peril if I were dealing with the fees and costs that you have. I hope you can get going soon.

Hoosier - The waiting game for you too? That has to be so frustrating to be so close to finishing and have nobody show up to get it finished. I feel for ya.

We have brick finally. I haven't had a chance to see it yet. I had to "run with the nuns" for an event yesterday and it wasn't over until after dark. I will post some pics when I get out there. The drywall that was supposed to start yesterday, didn't happen. I haven't heard why but I expected it to be delayed just like everything else has been, so not a shock. Also, DS is on the baseball team from hell now...lol. They practice every day but Wednesday for three hours at a time. I suspect they do this just to wreck any plans that I have, not because they want to win...ha, just kidding.

o

I forgot to say....

Ladybrowncoat - Your house is looking great. Isn't it nice to walk through each room and imagine what it will all look like?

o

Jdez, yeah I would, but nearest large city is 3 hours away. :(

I think I'm just going to pull back my dreams a bit and go with the regular consumer stuff, like GE Profile. I can save a few thousand dollars and still get an induction range. :)

o

I'm struggling with the internet thing, too. Right now (in our rental) we have unlimited, cable internet and buried cable tv... once we move we will be close to town but not in it, so our options are limited. I can make due with some sort of direct tv or whatever, but high-speed, unlimited internet is a must. It's probably my only concern with the entire process :(

Yesterday we went out and they had put up our entire roof! I was really happy with how the shingles came out- we chose a color that was a brownish-gray black over a dark solid black, and the lighter color seems to blend in well with all the trees and fields. I think it will look nice with the gray siding.

JDez- Thanks :) We walk through every day. Right now there's still something new every day. Can't wait to see your brick!

o

Is Hughes Net available to you ladies in rural areas? Their satellite internet seems to be marketed for just those types of installations. We have cable service but we've really enjoyed Uverse in the rental. Internet has been lightning fast.... except for the times male members of the family were gaming:)

o

Yes, we are outside the city limits in the PNW so we are unicorporated county and high COL area. Our permits were $15K all together. We were aware of some of these costs so our loan allowed for them but surprise bills in the thousands are things we are really getting creative to pay. Those fees of course must be paid immediately, check or cash too which limits us even more.

Michelle- We were able to buy floor model appliances for a few things and our double ovens were floor models. Is there anything like that in your closest town? I was able to get my induction Thermador for the price of a Kitchenaid. Its worth looking at, my sister saw a kitchen designer who had had good luck with Ebay but I have no experience firsthand there.

o

As far as appliances go don't forget to check out the mfg's outlet stores. Almost all manufacturers will have some sort of outlet (some appliance stores will also have an outlet). I got my WP duets from the WP outlet and the Sears outlet (had to watch for a while to find the color I needed to match) for ~$800 for the pair. Sharp micro drawer from the HD outlet, latest model w/the open/close buttons, 27" for ~$400 (on-line). 42" SZ SxS (w/o panels) from an appliance store outlet location (customer wanted ice maker, one was ordered w/out, saved me over a grand, we wanted built in so lack of panels was good) and my Bosch integrated 800 series from the Sears outlet for ~$600 (again, had no panel which is what we wanted). That allowed me to spend the $$ on the BS range and a couple Wolf ovens (conv. and steam). You can't be in a hurry, I checked frequently over the year it took to build the house, and pretty much need to know what you want. I got all the mfg warranties and after a year everything (except my built in coffee maker which I paid retail for) still works great.

o

Outlets are great advice for appliances. We used to have a Sears outlet. I wanted a Maytag dual oven, which were about $2500. I stalked the a Sears outlet for the stove I wanted and got it for $900. I've had it about 8 years now with no complaint. Someone else bought it and changed their mind. Still had all the plastic on it. Unfortunately, they tried to turn that store into a regular Sears, and failed, so it's gone out of business now. I've heard of an appliance store that sells refurbished items. I haven't checked it out yet.

o

Wow, so much to catch up on!! Beautiful views and landscapes and beautiful homes!!

We have been slowly settling in the house. Going on almost 3 weeks and I love everything about our new home. :) We have lots of work left to do to finally be done, but like everyone else, work and kid's activities, plus a social life of our own, keep getting in the way!! ;-) We still can't park our cars in the garage because it is too full, our office is a complete mess and we only have one computer set up with no printer, new furniture is coming in slowly and we have lots of landscaping to do. But, all in all, I am super happy!! I'll post some pics once we are fully furnished :)

The cable crazines....we had issues too. We went 2 weeks without cable/internet. Not having TV wasn't bad, it was not having internet that was a pain, since we need it for work and DS needs it for school. Cable company sent a guy out to scope things out our first week in the house then sent another guy a few days later to install it. The second guy gets there and says he can't do it because he needs a boom truck to get the cable from the street out to our house. Ok, isn't that what the first guy that came should have planned for?? He then tells us the soonest he can get a truck out is 3 weeks! Uh no!!!! We have a good friend that is pretty high up at the cable company, so we had to bug him for a favor. He had a truck out in 2 days and he was personally at our house the whole time to make sure everything went smoothly. Super grateful!!

illinigirl--Love your interior selections :)

Autumn--Hang in there!! It will get better :) I agree that having a place for everything and everything in its place really makes a house feel like a home rather than temporary shelter. You'll get there! BTW, I too have my oldest graduating from elementary this year. Bittersweet. He is ready to move on and I still want to hold on to the elementary years, but I am so proud of the young man he has become and I still have my little one in elementary for a few more years :)

Michelle--I mixed appliance brands and went with the best I could get for each item (within my $15,000 budget). I actually researched most items online, but I was only able to see a few of them in person at my local appliance store (even the big ones don't have everything on display). I ended up placing my order over the phone. So, if there are appliances you want maybe you can place an order over the phone or get them online (AJ Madison gets good reviews)? We got a 36" Bluestar range, 42" Faber liner/blower (to go in custom wood hood), Miele dishwasher, GE Advantium speed oven (microwave and regular oven in one), Electrolux ICON full fridge/full freezer units and Electrolux ICON wine fridge. So far, I have been really happy with all of them! I get lots of comments on the fridge/freezer. It is huge!! I was originally going to do a regular fridge in the kitchen and a secondary fridge in the pantry and then found these and decided to go for it since I had the space for them in the kitchen. Electrolux also runs promotions all the time, and since we bought 3 appliances (the fridge/freezer units are considered two appliances) we got a rebate of $1,100. Here is a pic from when they were installed.
 photo C62465E7-C4C3-435F-B202-8FA3FB174877_zps1vlsdoj5.jpg

o

Michelle, I forgot to add, I think the lower priced brands are a better buy. I've heard less than favorable things about Kitchen Aid and Bosch from Consumer Reports. My SIL's mother has a Wolf range and has had nothing but problems with it. I looked at some sub zero fridges, and can't see why they would cost $7k more. There isn't $7k more in features.

Just talked to the stair guy. Part of the jump in price is that the original quote didn't include landings. The landings are $19k (3 5x9' rectangular areas of floor), and just adding walnut to the treads was $17k. So $17k is knocked off immediately. A little more on the railings, too, since we won't need any walnut there. And we're still talking about metal stringers everywhere, so there's more savings to be had. But still, this is a lot of money.

Autumn, what do you mean you've only got stringers up to the landing? Stringers are the side pieces of any stair cases. They hold the steps. Do you mean you've got open risers for one run of steps?

o

Wow -- great progress everyone!

Harringk --I still have lot envy! I know it's hard being away and not able to check in daily. We're not even building yet and I keep asking my daughter and son-in-law if they've driven by the lot lately. They are nice enough to text occasional pics of the lot, creek and other houses going up in the subdivision, but I can't imagine how bad I'll be will be when we start to build.

o

Autumn, Thanks for the pic of the doors! I think that will work great just like that for my situation also. Hang in there with the moving in. Moving is such a stressful time even if the house is gorgeous and exactly what you want- so much emotional investment and now it's a new emotional road getting settled. *hugs*

JDEZ, can't wait to see pics of the brick and hope drywalling starts soon for you. that is such a nice change to see and then pretty soon paint and all the finishes!

Northpole that looks like a beautiful neighborhood. goes to show how things are done differently with different builds and we are a month and a half from being done and my driveway won't be poured until next week!

Michelle,
I second going for best-in-class appliances regardless of brand. I dunno, I guess some people want everything to match and that's ok too but we just researched the heck out of each item and I have all different brands in my kitchen. We decided the areas to splurge (rangetop) and the rest of the stuff is pretty standard brands. I've got a mix of Electrolux, GE, KA, Wolf, Bosch.

Harringk- gorgeous setting for your home!

Well, today was a HUGE surprise for me because i went out there bright and early to speak with our mason and guess who was already there installing COUNTERTOPS! *faints*

BEFORE:

[img] photo 0605140846.jpg[/img]

AFTER:
[img] photo 0605141101.jpg[/img]

I left for the island install. I did not want to see them carry it in.

More pics:
[img] photo 0605141102a.jpg[/img]

sink- metallic gray:
[img] photo 0605141105.jpg[/img]

[img] photo 0605141105c.jpg[/img]

lagos blue on the powder room vanity:
[img] photo 0605140853.jpg[/img]

concrete quartz on the drop zone:
[img] photo 0605140849.jpg[/img]

raven on the shower bench (don't have a pic after the niche piece was placed)
[img] photo 0605140843.jpg[/img]

closeup of raven with flash. bathroom vanities match this:
[img] photo 0605140844a.jpg[/img]

when i left they were working on the bathroom vanity seam. It is the only seam in the whole house, so I hope it turns out well. Thanks for looking!

o

mommytoty, I have fridge/freezer envy! DH wanted one of those so bad! We priced one on clearance when we were refrigerator shopping, but we didn't have room in our kitchen layout.

illinigirl, your countertops are beautiful!!!! I can't wait until next Thursday when ours are installed.

We got some bad news today. Our cabinet guy brought out our window seats that HE cut down. He and DH brought one into the family room to look at it. DH asked how he cut it down and as he was explaining, he said, "Well, they are remaking the one drawer and I thought you could go ahead and install the window seat and we'd bring the drawer out once it was done." DH looked at him and asked, "You mean the second drawer is going to be a smaller size than the one next to it?" The answer was yes. DH said he was unhappy with that and did not pay all that money for two window seats that weren't to our specifications. Besides the guy measured wrong in the first place. The sales guy said they would have to totally remake them (which in our mind we thought they were doing until two days ago when he told me differently). I said I just wanted our money refunded. I do not want to mess with them anymore. So, that is what we are doing.

I think we will live without the window seats for awhile and see if I just want to put chairs with ottomans in front of the windows. My idea has always been for me to sit at the window seat drinking my morning coffee watching the birds at our feeders. It's what I really enjoy in the mornings. If I still want window seats or some cushioned benches, DH said he would build them later. But at least we know that our carpenter can finish this week without worrying about the window seat installations. I'm more than done with that situation.

Not too much to add since the only one working lately has been DH. Here are some photos of the our master closet with built-in ironing board.

Here are the shelves on one side of the master closet before the ironing board was installed.

photo IMG_4657_zpsf41a1af0.jpg

Here is the ironing board cabinet with door closed after it was installed.

photo IMG_4665_zps7ce22860.jpg

And, here it is with it opened. Once you bring the board down, it swivels from side to side. DH suggested putting it so it comes down in front of the opened door of the closet. That way, you can iron from either side (inside or outside the closet). And, he added a handle to the door (which didn't come with it).

photo IMG_4666_zpsd97dbf89.jpg

o

We got brick and some Sheetrock today.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

We paid extra for white mortar. It doesn't look white but I'm hoping that's because it's not dry. Gotta go.

o

Jdez, brick looks great. The mortar will dry lighter for sure. Here, it's extra for any color mortar other than gray....white, buff, ivory, it's all double the cost of gray.

Illini, your counters look awesome! Love the combo in your kitchen.

Hoosier, you may wind up liking a nice comfy chair in that space even better. Smart to let it go for now and maybe revisit later when not so much is going on.

Love seeing all the people just starting! That's an exciting time.

Builder told us the other day we're looking at mid July. Having a small crisis with the kitchen counters, so I'm pretty sure that will set us back a bit. We did get a 1st coat of stain on the wood floors. This is in the kitchen.

o

Wowee look at all of today's eye candy!

JDez-love the brick! Sheetrock is good, means insulation is complete! :)

Illini - what a surprise! It looks wonderful! I would have exited for that too. Awesome no seams. So I have a ? Our kitchens are similar, where are you thinking you will keep your silverware? I have moved mine twice. Don't want to buy a drawer insert until I am SURE.

Hoosiers- so disheartening about the window seats. :(. I am sure once you settle you will find something that works and dh can whip it up.

Good news peeps, closet place had a cancelation so we are set for MONDAY!! Yes!

Mommtoty-these milestones are tough. I cannot believe how fast these years have flown by. I am enjoying it but it is so bittersweet.

Oicu-love your roof, forgot to mention that before.

Amber-ummm, insert embarrassed emoji. I meant our spindles not our stringers. Totally wasn't reading that right!

Appliances-I second those on finding best in class. Dh wanted them all to match however so we have all kitchen aid except the MW which we already owned. My plan in our price range was Bosch or GE stove, KA Fridge and Bosch DW. So far I like our kitchen aid anyhow. I think that is a good budget Michelle so you should be able to do pretty well.

Bedtime reading time. Have a good one everybody.

o

busy busy busy over here. hubby was out of town for a week, got home Monday, left again yesterday. In addition to being GC of my build, I'm self employed and work has been steady. A financial blessing, but it's HARD to manage everything!!!

We have foundation forms and stuff. Concrete comes Monday. YAYYYYYY!

photo D821723E-94C2-470F-B53E-C5B0823CB20A_zpsgseceuc2.jpg

photo 1989B38F-CA90-4FB6-ACA2-438186655480_zps2laxpeh4.jpg

And the guys doing the forms and rebar and cables left a nice little sign that they had finished :)

photo 52A5B126-7404-400C-8B5A-51B1386A7CEA_zpsam3z14f6.jpg

o

JDEZ, I agree on the mortar lightening. My mason put out a couple samples of our stone with different mortar colors yesterday and even today he said it's still going to lighten up yet. So I think it takes a while to get to the final color. Your brick is beautiful!

Jackson,
love your floors. What species and stain did you go with? I love it! Such a warm look.

o

hee hee, more cross posting.

Autumn,
I put my silverware in the top drawer of the island drawer stack. My inserts are already decided because my cabinet shop did them. There is one potential problem with their location and that is if someone is prepping in that area they will block access to that drawer. If I must I can move them (and use a non-custom insert) in the hutch drawer. However we eat at the counter a lot and I'm always getting silverware for the kids so I think the benefit will outweigh the negatives. We'll see. What have you tried (and not liked and why?)

When I empty the d/w I always just pick up the whole basket and move to the drawer so for me it's not a big deal that it's not right next to the d/w.

o

Illinigirl, is that a blanco sink? Debating between the truffle and the metallic gray. Our countertop is also white with very light grey veining. DH chose a Brizo cocoa brown faucet though, thus the truffle option. What is your countertop? It is gorgeous!! And may I ask what the grout is on your white shower tiles? Thanks!

o

JDez, I LOVE that brick. What is it? I want brick for my fireplace, but I'm having trouble choosing something from a close up photo of 6 bricks. That's something I figured we could leave until after we move in (it's a gas FP, so the brick is just for show). But BIL/GC says it's better to do it before doing the floor. :/

Jackson, add me to the list of peeps who would love to know what your floors are.

o

illinigirl- I love your kitchen! What are countertops around perimeter and on island? Also, tell me about your sink. I was looking at an apron sink, but I'm really liking yours.

o

Thanks for the compliments on the sink/granite. The sink is a blanco diamond super single in metallic gray. The pic I think makes it look a little taupe-y but it is not at all in person. it's very medium gray. I think it was a good choice with the granite. I was 'afraid' of a too-dark sink for some reason, lol. Cinder would have worked too though.

The island is unfortunately something I can't find a lot of info on. My local yard called it "Omega" but that is a name they made up and I could not find a commonly known name. Also in asking the fabricators their guys said they've not seen anything like it that they could put a name on. Karin over on kitchens did tell me that geologically it is similar to River Valley and that it would make a good durable typical granite surface.

The perimeter is a black quartz by Samsung Radianz called Diamond Black. Pretty typical black quartz.

Northpole-I am putting in a brushed stainless faucet and satin nickel pulls. Although my pendants are polished nickel. They aren't in yet. Oh, and the shower is not grouted yet. I forgot what we are going with. it is the lightest gray they had from the TEC color set. Just checked- silverado is what we will put in.

This post was edited by illinigirl on Thu, Jun 5, 14 at 21:13

o

Mega cross posting...

Carsonheim-woot woot!!!

Jackson - very nice floors, love them against the white of your cabinets. Uh oh counters... :/

Illini-interesting. That is where I keep reaching. I have tried the far drawer under the dish hutch-way too far. I have tried the one to the right of it which is just left of the stove. That is better but still kinda hmm and it's 36" so mixed with utensils. I was thinking by DW but our tray lifts out too so maybe that is not a big deal. I might try that top drawer in my 4 drawer stack in the island and see how that goes.. Are ya packing?

o

Amberm - the brick is from Columbus brick company and is called Annandale Queen. It is mostly a deep burgundy with some dark gray and the white splotches are part of the brick, not done by the bricklayers. It looks good with gray grout also. Very happy with how it turned out. I wanted something with no brown in it.

Autumn - the only insulating left to do is the blown in stuff in the attic. So glad to get past that.

Illini and Autumn - believe it or not, eBay and etsy both have wooden silverware drawer inserts (some custom fit) at very reasonable prices if you decide to use another drawer.

Carson - is it for real this time? It sure looks like it. Yay!!!

I just did some figuring and discovered that I can't have the pet smart carpet I wanted. Bummer. Boohoo. (Pouring another nightcap...hehehe)

o

Yeah, me again. Forgot to tell Jackson that I love your floors. Beautiful.

o

Thanks y'all! Floors are antique heart pine, with some combination of chestnut, Jacobean, and poly. Floor guys made a sample, and we kept adding and subtracting parts of different colors until we got the look I wanted.

Carsonheim, CONGRATS!!!!

o

Wowsas....lots of activity tonight!

OK, first off, you guys are making me soo excited with all your gorgeous pictures....keep em coming!!

Mommytoty, you've definitely got me excited....I never considered simply ordering appliances online...and your fridge/freezers are exactly what I am looking for. I will definitely check those out! Thank you!! Question though...I don't have room for both a full fridge and full freezer in my kitchen. I was thinking about putting the fridge in the kitchen, and the freezer in the pantry....would that be dumb?

HarringK, your view is simply stunning...wow!

Amberm....your stair pricing is concerning....we are putting wood throughout most of our first level and I'm hoping to put it both up a set of stairs and down a set of stairs....why on earth are those prices SO high? Are you building in a crazy high cost area?

Illini....your countertops are gorgeous!! Yay!! Super exciting. How long until projected move in now?

Carson, wow, I can't imagine being self-employed AND being the GC. You must be super organized! :) And congrats on the house progress....but can you explain the foundation system you are using? I've never seen that type of installation before (educate me)! :)

Jackson, I too LOVE your floors....thanks for the info....will keep that in mind when I go visit my floor guys tomorrow.

We received our newest revision of the plans from the architect today....we are getting SO close to being done. I'm IN LOVE with the latest revisions and am getting super excited to build it. There are minor floor plan changes left to complete, but hubby doesn't like the elevations....he says it looks like a farmhouse. Sigh...hopefully it'll grow on him, or the architect and make it look less farmhouse (not that there's anything wrong with that!) I emailed the architect requesting permission to post them here....so hopefully she'll say yes. :)

Thanks for all the awesome feedback on appliances!

o

Michelle, yes we are definitely in a high COL area. These are the kind of stairs we are looking for:

We've also got 3 sets of them (basement > main, main > 2nd floor, 2nd floor > 3rd floor). The 2 things that make this crazy expensive are the metal stringers (sides), and the fact that wood treads are solid chunks of wood. Stairs with hardwood on them are cheaper because it's plywood with flooring on top. Unless you've got curved sections, or anything else that requires custom nosing.

o

Ah, ok. I understand. Those are gorgeous!

o

It's our big splurge to give the house some character. We had wanted to build a timber frame post and beam, but it just cost too much. I'm still hoping I can do a couple of exposed beams.

o

Autumn, yep I am packing. The movers provide free boxes and they just dropped off some more. One of my garage stalls is starting to fill up pretty quickly. We try to live minimally and not accumulate junk.....but i confess I have baby clothes that i want to have made into a quilt.....some day.....and the clothes are coming with us until that happens!

JDEZ, thanks for the tip- I think I read about that somewhere on Kitchens before. Hopefully I will be happy with my insert locations. I have 3 or 4. Knife, Silverware, prep, and stove tools (stuff I use while cooking). Most of the locations are point of use. Silverware is the only one that is "I hope this is right".

Michelle- July 18 is our move in date. Walnut floors start getting installed Monday, cabinet hardware also next week. The doors/drawers started going in yesterday. Tiling continues- he's grouting the shower and bath floors today, and I *think* he said the back entry/mudroom today too. Then on to the lower level. Mason is putting up stone on the fireplace today and tomorrow.

Amberm your stairs are going to be amazing. Truly a focal point. Good luck getting good pricing!

o

Illini...July is coming fast! Love Walnut floors....are you doing prefinished or site finished?

o

Michelle,
We are doing site finished. They are character grade which will suit the casual space. It will have color variation, checks and knots. (to help 'blend' the inevitable dings from normal wear and tear).

o

Illini...can I ask sq ft price? I'm trying to give builder ideas for allowances.

o

Went stone shopping today....found a gorgeous marble look quartz. It's called Viareggio quartz by Difiniti. Anyone use it? Apparently it's more reasonable than most quartz products and I saw a pretty large piece (3"x4") and it was gorgy. Might be a winner on my island.

Here is a link that might be useful: Viareggio Quartz

o

I'm a bit under the weather today (I fear I caught my wife's BAD cold) so I stayed inside and played with a couple antique light fixtures. The ceiling fixture is an ebay find. It originally had the light bulbs pointed down, which requires a good-looking bulb. The sockets and wiring were in bad shape anyway, so I flipped things around, and have the bulbs pointing up. I used cabinet knob backplates to fill the hole in the bottom, and mounted new ceramic sockets and rewired it. Those are LED bulbs, drawing only 3 watts a piece. I have the dangly pendant for the middle, but I need to repair it a bit.

The wall sconce is one of a pair I also bought on ebay. These had the electric parts removed completely, and had been used with actual candles. I bought some candelabra sockets, and rewired them as well. Probably not the same manufacturer as the ceiling fixture, but at a casual glance they sort of match. I need to get much lower wattage bulbs for the sconce.

So now I have true vintage fixtures for a lot less money than reproduction ones. The LED bulbs for the ceiling fixture cost more than the fixture did! I also have two pairs of white porcelain wall sconces that I will rewire and use in the powder room and master bathroom.

If women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!

photo 010-4.jpg

photo 016-5.jpg

photo 012-4.jpg

o

Michelle- around 13/sq ft. That includes materials sand stain and finish. Then vents are 69/each. I needed 9 of them.

o

Mushcreek - Handy indeed! Lovely fixtures. I love to see old be made new again, or at least functional. And they do seem to match at first glance.

o

Mush- Those are Deco! The angels sing. Good find.
Carson- what a footprint! Your house is going to be ginormous.

News from the front... the interior of the house is wrapped in plastic like the Happy Housewife to minimize dust while they paint. So I climbed a ladder out of my driveway hole to get into the courtyard. Still happy from the paint fumes.
Met the guy today who will probably pour my driveway. He was cute. Shhh... don't tell my husband:)

o

Ah yes, Musicgal, my eyes were able to feast on the fellows on my roof today also....I don't hide it though. I asked DH to take a pic with his phone. He gave me that "Did you seriously just ask me that?" look and threw a dried chunk of mortar at me...lol. Fun time.

End of the week and need drywall to be finished, need metal trim on the roof and need board and batten siding put up on the front gable. Please disregard the mess on the front porch, we had to empty the house for the Sheetrock.

This post was edited by JDez on Fri, Jun 6, 14 at 21:17

o

framing is under way!!! SO happy to see progress.

Illini, I am trying to figure out how to convert my floorplan from pdf to jpeg so I can post it. But just some stats it is a multi generational home, with 4826 sg ft finished, total sq ft 6200 under roof. A 2 car garage for us, and a 1 car garage for my parents. It is all brick exterior.

illini can you tell me what tiles you used in the mudroom? I love them.

o

Also I agree with the other posters about appliances ours are not matching brands, we are doing a Miele dw, a blue star range, and I am trying to talk my husband into the Electrolux full fridge and freezer that I think illini posted.

Also once we got cheaper quotes from online stores, we took them to our local appliance place and they were able to match the prices, so do not discount them altogether. Also because we live in South Carolina and we are buying the appliances in North Carolina, then we are not being charged sales tax.

o

I went over this morning to approve where all the vents and returns will be. They finished up boarding the roof today. It finally looks like a house! I have electrical and sound system walk through on Tuesday! Yikes!

o

Good Morning!

JDez- love your metal roof- very cool!

Yay for framing JENNIE! now it starts moving fast! The tile is called Slaty by Edimax in the color Ochre. There is also a darker color and a lighter color in the same style. We love it too, thanks!

Robyn, wow, looks amazing! Glad you are on site now for the rest of the way. Good luck at walk throughs.

o

Illini-silverware in the island, ding ding ding we have a winner. It's comfy for everyone so it stays. :D

Jennie-do you have a snipping tool or can you open it with paint then save as jpeg?

Michelle-gotta get back to your other thread. Love your plan. So it's been in the low 80's and our hose has stayed pretty cool. Very pleased. Our woods are mostly oaks and some pine. Our house faces west.

I took a few driveway pics but have to post from phone. No word from cable yet...

I like the way the walk was poured from the drive to the front or side door. Excuse the dumpsters, garage is full!

o

Don't think I ever took a pic of the back due to the snow:

o

Jdez-love your brick and metal roof! Insulation is the pits, congrats on moving on from it!

Okay, baseball now. Beautiful day for it!

I'll be back to catch up on the rest.

Blanco Cinder-warmer than the gray but not brown. My granite was too warm for the metallic but the metallic is very pretty, shimmers. It wasn't warm enough for truffle. Glad there are lots of choices! Brushed stainless faucet with chrome pendants...

o

Autumn.4, is your garage at an angle? Can't wait to see how the front looks like.

o

robyn- that electrical walk through is very stimulating... pardon the pun:-) That's one of the days I felt most overwhelmed. Do I put a plug in the floor here, or baseboard vs. wall plugs, etc.?

Heh, heh JDez. I just hired the cute concrete guy. Today was our scouting day and I took DH out to see some of his work. He liked it, so it looks like instead of a driveway hole, I will have an actual driveway with parking pad next week. No more climbing ladders to get into the house!

On another note, the lookie-loos continue to try to walk right into the house from the garage, even when I am standing right THERE talking to the GC. Had to laugh yesterday when they saw the paint sheeting up over the door and had to turn back and exit. Those are the "can" folks that rummage around the site and donate the proceeds to the church we will eventually visit, so we are on friendly terms. I was even invited to porch sit at their house yesterday, so I guess diplomacy really is the best policy.

I will be staying at a friend's house up there most of next week to be there when the toilets come in and the tile starts going down. Packing overalls and courage.

o

Deleted echo- but forgot to tell y'all that I found out yesterday afternoon that grandbaby number 3 is on the way come January 2015. Maybe the house is too small:)

This post was edited by musicgal on Sat, Jun 7, 14 at 16:59

o

Musical-aww congrats! That is super news.

Northpole-it is. I'll try to grab a current pic. Tough to get it in one frame with the woods.

Mushcreek-sorry you are under the weather. Things are looking good your way.

Illini-great idea on the baby clothes. I have a tote for each kiddo with my fav baby outfits in them. :) A couple years back I went to donate their Thomas the train collection and I just couldn't do it so I have some of them too.

Robyn-looks wonderful! I thought the walk through was good but months later when they came back I already forgot what the plan was...

Surprise-gutter guys showed up today. YAY! They will finish upon day morning. That's great because we were waiting other to complete our final draw. We are at the point it's more than time. We have floated so much this far.

We had 2 evenings this week at home plus a quiet weekend and that is just what I needed. Still lots of boxes but feeling better about things. Since I had some time here it is feeling more like home.

My answer to a tough week (too many more and my clothes are gonna get tight)!:

o

northpolehome: Getting back to your question about our hearth. Measured it this morning. It's 18" high, and only 8" deep. We didn't want the FP to project any more into the room than it has to. With a little overhang from the stone we put down, there should be just enough butt space.

This post was edited by oicu812 on Sun, Jun 8, 14 at 11:28

o

Jennie - Conrats!

Musicgal - Yay on the driveway! We have caught some people at our build during the day but as far as we know, it appears that no snooping is taking place when no one is there so I'm ok with that. I hope I didn't just jinx us.

Robyn - Your house is looking impressive. Do you feel better being in Utah and being able to see it when you want to or is it more stressful?

Autumn 4 - the back of your house looks just as good as the front. It looks so shady. On the cinder, is there absolutely no brown in it? It looks less harsh than most grays so I'm thinking I really like it. On the coke and chocolate, just enjoy it. You deserve it. I have discovered that a grueling baseball schedule + building a house + having to work five days a week = raging alcoholic here. So in the grand scheme of things, you are doing nothing wrong...lol.

I have been so busy that I haven't spent any time visiting with family. So after this morning's long hot batting practice, we took the day off and made our rounds visiting my brothers. It was a good day even though I kept worrying about the work I should be doing instead...lol. Well it was short lived. Back at it tomorrow. Good eve to you all.

o

some of you are SOOOO very good about keeping up with everyone's progress on this thread! Every time I check in there are like 30-50 new posts since last time. I'm not a very consistent GWer!!!

JDez -- your brick is gorgeous! LOVE LOVE!

Michelle1973 -- our foundation I think is called post-tension slab. It's pretty standard around this part of Texas.

mush -- love those light fixtures. Great find!

Robin -- your house is coming along so nicely and so QUICKLY!

Autumn -- I really, really like the flatwork! Those curves are really pretty.

musicgal -- congrats on the new grandbaby! Also, now that there is no need to climb a ladder I might have to come by and see your place in person!

In other news, I had to scramble the past couple of days to get several loads of road base so the concrete trucks can make it to our house for pour on Monday morning. The soil is really quite sandy, and the foundation contractor was really concerned they would sink in the sand. Some of my dirt trucks have sunk in the sand and they had to be towed out. So there's a few thousand $$$$ that I wasn't planning on spending. And the kicker is the place where the temp road was built isn't even where our driveway will be. So basically it's like $2.5K just to be able to receive the concrete delivery for the foundation. argghhhh....

Oh, and a bit of happy news: found a GREAT vintage bamboo/cane chair at ReStore for 15 bucks that I'm gonna lacquer in white and redo the cushion. This will be my vanity chair. Booyah!
 photo vanitychair_zps5a6fa0ca.jpg

o

Musicgal-that is ...awkward at best. We haven't seen anyone go through ours, not to say that it didn't happen but definitely not while we were there.

Jdez-hmm. It's one of those it's all relative things. When I had the sample next to each other the metallic was very light gray in comparison to the cinder. Anthracite was way too stark the other way, jet black. The cinder was a good compromise but not sure with the tiny sample if I really thought it was gray. Installed it is a warmer gray, but yes gray. If you come over you can take a look, then head across town and look at illini's metallic. ;). I just asked my 11 yo what color the sink was and he said gray right?. If I had my samples yet I would take a pic with the metallic but I pitched them while moving. Have you requested samples? Yes lots of shade and the house stays really cool. Bonus because I am an open window girl over a/c unless it's humid. I told dh good thing my vice is chocolate or we'd be in trouble!
It's good to catch up with the fam even though it is less productive.

Carsonheim-you can't keep up cuz you are so busy bargain shopping, lol! Good score.

So I have been stubbing my toe on the fridge end of the island. Finally I figured out that the overhang is short by an inch on that side. I will get used to it but thought is post if it helps anyone else when it's time to template. Everything else is dead on. Not sure what happened. Can't remember if maybe the base wasn't installed yet but either way it should be 1.5". Anyhow it should be 1.5" on that side and it's only .5". Nothing to do about it now and not sure I would have mentioned that anyhow. I honestly think we are heavy on the opposite side and the sink was cut an inch off. I haven't bothered to measure since it's a moot point.

Checking into satellite wifi. It's not hughesnet but something else. Dh is handling that one. I can't remember the name of it.

Busy emptying closets for tomorrow's install. Whoop whoop!

o

Autum4- I love the exterior color you did.

Royn- How is UT? I went to college there, but I am happy to be back on the East Coast and in the South again.

So we finally figured out how to change the files so I will do the exterior in this post and then the floorplans in 2 other posts since we do not use photobucket.

o

Here is the 1st floor, except the main kitchen layot is totally different now.

o

2nd floor

o

Here is the new kitchen layout, we decided againt the angled island, and the corner pantry, so the new pantry is much, much larger, which suits our needs better since we are a family of 6, 1 Great Dane (looking for another one to add ot our family too), plus my parents.

o

That's gonna be a nice house Jennie. Sounds like you will have lots of people to fill it with.

Autumn4 - thanks for the sink info. I can't pick my color yet because I haven't settled on a countertop yet. I am trying to decide what type of sink I want and whether or not I want to upgrade to the silgranite type. I'm starting to find that there are some colors out there that just seem cold and mean. This is why I was rethinking my choice of a standard stainless one. Yours looks "soft" in the picture but pics on the computer don't always tell the truth so that's why I was asking. I haven't seen those sinks in person around here.

Thank y'all for the compliments on the brick. I was still unsure about it until the mortar turned whiter. Now I love it. Came home this evening and actually cooked supper. It has been awhile since I've taken the time to cook. Fried pork chops, rice and gravy and cornbread. Hubs was happy.

o

Autumn I forgot to tell you that I love your dog posing in the picture as if he/she is saying, "yep, this is mine"....lol. And nice concrete work too.

o

Autumn- good to hear the island location works well for silverware. I have ours in our current kitchen in that equivalent location also (except we have a peninsula not island).

I like your walkway too! You have such a pretty yard and rear elevation. very sharp.

guilty on saving Thomas trains. Although the table is just getting ready to go now.

congrats Musicgal!

good find Carson- can't wait to see the transformation of your new chair.

Jennie- It's hard for me to see your floorplan in detail because it's showing up small, but it looks like a nice plan :)

Autumn hit the nail on the head about the sink colors. When I compared the samples of Metallic Gray and Cinder the MG looked much lighter. In fact after I ordered I worried it would be too light. But now that it's in it doesn't seem too light at all. Relative to Cinder it is lighter though for sure. Some of Autumns photos look to me like I think mine does in real life, and I think my photos of Metallic Gray don't show the true color. I think it's a hard color to capture because I've seen other GW photos of MG and I think it makes it look a little taupe or truffle-y too which isn't the case at all in real life.

o

Hi All,
It's been over a week since I was able to check in, and there are more than 100 posts....too many to take it all in.
DH stayed here with our build, where so much is going on, while I went to FL again. My dad is in his final weeks, and I got a call last Saturday that he was unresponsive, so I flew down. It was an emotionally draining week, exhausting, but I'm glad I went. He came back to himself for a few days, and most of the family made it from various areas of the country to see him.
I came home to find I have lights! and an island countertop! (I was so afraid they'd broken it or lost it, as they didn't install it when they installed the rest of the stone). I got multiple calls re questions - dh dealt with the stain color for our flooring. Turns out to get the color we want it's going to take 2 coats of stain and an extra 4 days to dry. OK, we've waited this long, what's another few days? The flooring guy wanted to get it in one coat, and it wasn't working. So happy GC and dh dealt with that one. They start sanding and staining today.
I wasn't there to sort it out, so some of the plumbing fixtures got installed on the wrong sinks/showers. They will need to be moved. sigh. It'll all be worth it, right?
And the doorknobs - all those meetings to make sure everything was right? They ordered the exterior hardware for the back porch doors - 3 of them, on 3 1/2" centers instead of 5 1/2" centers. The combination lock door hardware was also wrong for the way the doors are drilled. And the closet hardware was incomplete. The door specialist from the supplier made a visit to our build site to make sure it was all right - and got it so wrong!
Oh, and I missed - totally spaced out - the weekend appt for the woman who is going to hang our wallpaper. She was nice enough to reschedule for next weekend.

Autumnre cabinet inserts - the one's repped on ebay are from the custom company in GA that everyone over on the kitchen forum here recommends. The pricing is amazingly reasonable. You buy-it-now, then send them your measurements and they make it to order. Company is Wood Hollow, and this is just one of the configs they can do.

Michelle, check out the appliances forum here, there is a wealth of information there, then once you make your decisions don't go back and second guess. I too mixed brands. Went Thermador for my range and got a steam oven, which I'm totally excited about. I got the "free" DW from thermador - all you need to buy is a range with them to get the dw included. It's made by Bosch. My refrig is Jenn-Aire, my wine refrig for bar is Monogram, my hood is Vent-A-Hood.
In the last house we built I put in GE monogram double wall ovens, and they were nothing but trouble - including a fire in the oven, behind the convection fan. Fortunately I was there to see it and turn oven off right away. The insulated covering on the wiring caught fire. The repair rep told us that that particular model was nothing but trouble. Another model that GE made was solid. Go figure. Our monogram refrig had temp problems - ice in one part while not cold enough in others, and ice-in-door problems. OTH we loved our wine refrig in monogram and bought another one. And, do consider buying online. We bought our appliances at Goedekers in St Louis when we built there, and they've developed a huge online sales program now. I know and like the owners philosophy of doing business. They're Christians who close their store on Sundays - but they stand behind all their sales. I'm ordering our washer and dryer from them. I'm getting Speed Queen this time. We have no water shortages here, so I'm wanting a Washer that uses water. The HE ones use less water, but a wash cycle is up to 90 minutes. That's crazy.

Someone up-thread was talking about not buying from Fergusons. Why? I think you're your own GC right? Go into Fergusons and ask for GC pricing. I know that there is regular retail, then the price that Ferguson's puts on their price tags. Then what they actually charge. All of our appliances, lighting and plumbing came through Fergusons, and all of it is 11-20% less than is priced on their showroom price tags, which is some % less than regular retail. It's worth checking out anyway, if your local supplier is being bought by Fergusons.

Illini great looking counters. Are you looking to sell your TTT table? My grandchildren are just acquiring TTT. I bought them the railroad lift bridge for Christmas. I'll be up there in July. My son is in Rockford, close enough to you right?

Hoosierbred, I feel for you. We are about at the same point I think. So ready to be done and in.

Everyone else's pics are looking wonderful. I absolutely loved the graphic someone posted a few weeks ago, re the emotional roller coaster that custom building entails.
For those of you starting, I'd say that the more choices you can nail down at the outset so they're worked into your build costs, the fewer surprises you're likely to have along the way. Some upgrades we didn't plan for but ended up with were 1. a Higher seer HVAC system. More $ now but significant savings down the road. 2. a whole house water filtration system. We just plain forgot to include it when spec'ing out. 3. a well pump for irrigation for the yard. Just a couple thousand $ now, but looking at irrigation for lawn, and finding out that the neighbors around here who water, but don't have well pumps are spending up to $400/month in the summer convinced us that the expense now is worth it.

I will try to get pics later this week. Don't know how much access I'll have to the house.

o

Thanks Marji- My mom already has dibs on the table- sorry!

o

Oh, man. SO much going on here! All the houses look fantastic.

JDez, I'm a huge fan of the brick :)

Autumn- That walkway is gorgeous! The curves make it look very welcoming, and should make landscaping a breeze.

robynstamps - Woohoo!! We are a little ways behind you as far as progress goes, but we've hit a few milestones around the same time. Isn't it crazy how much of a difference it makes when they connect all the pieces? We didn't realize how big everything actually was until they put the roof on :)

jenniekehr - Yay! So far for us the framing has been the most exciting part. The house goes up so fast and everything starts coming together. Congrats!

MushCreek - Nice job on the light fixtures. I like to see things being refurbished or re-purposed. Not sure if you ever watch HGTV, but there's a show called Rehab Addict. Nicole Curtis goes around and restores older (ready to be demolished, usually) homes- but the cool thing is she re-uses absolutely everything and the homes retain their original charm. Anyway, your project made me think of the show :)

We've zipped past all the fast paced stuff with the framers, so now we have to play the waiting game for each of the rest of the pieces. Next up should be siding and windows/doors... then it's on the the wiring/plumbing. Getting there, I'm just so darn impatient. I've just started an online class for work - hopefully that will keep me occupied this summer so time will go by quicker :)

o

I'm sooooo bummed!!! I just called my fabricator and told him that I was in town so that I could stop by and pick up a sample of the Branco Piranha Quartzite that I put on hold. He told me that he just installed it in a house and it was super soft! The guy at the slab yard told me it was harder than granite but turns out it is way softer. I guess it's not a true quartzite. Back to square one! I might have to stick with granite.

o

Thanks everyone, I can't wait until we can landscape and get the brick on the front finally! I am waiting to take a front pic until we at least have those dumpsters out of there and maybe some brick on......

Marjorie-sorry to hear about your Dad. I am sure emotions all over the place with so much going on. Glad you were able to get there and so many other relatives too. Definitely going with wood hollow. I have just been waiting to see what darn drawer is going to house what! Yay that your island is in and not lost, broken, wrong!

Oh - yes. Ferguson's. We bought nothing through them EXCEPT the Blanco sink and we gc'd. So definitely a smooth easy transaction and I didn't have to worry about taking delivery. They brought it straight to the fabricator. :) I did go to their show room in GR also. They did have one blanco sink to look at. I can't remember which color but I think black? I know it wasn't cinder and it wasn't metallic gray. Funny-I think I was worried the cinder would be too dark but once installed I think it's not too dark at all. Weird.

Jdez-yeah, she LOVES her yard and likes to sit right up front and browse the area. I think I figured with stainless, it scratches and dulls so very quickly and it's lighter. So if I went with blanco and chose a color that was the same or darker it would be fine. DH wanted metallic but I thought it was just too light. I think in his mind he wanted something that MATCHED stainless. Maybe one way to put it is that the metallic is silver and the cinder is gray? I hope you are able to check them out in real life. I do love it and it is one of my favorite things. It's so easy to maintain, no water spots, not loudness when water running, no scratches......bonus.

robyn-oh no. Well I guess disaster averted. That would be heartbreaking to install something you THINK is hard and then have it not function they way you expect - with kids and all. Something is out there and hopefully it will be even better than your first choice!

ladybrowncoat-oh I know it's so hard to be patient. I could beat that drum...oh well I guess I still AM beating that drum! LOL!

Gotta get back to work.

o

Carson- if you are feeling adventurous, I'll be onsite most of this week and next. Just email me and I will tell you how to get there. Highway 30 towards Huntsville and Veteran's Memorial going south will get you in the vicinity.

Marji- I am going to order those Wood Hollow inserts. I see nothing but good testimonials on GW about them.

Jennie, what a beautifully detailed plan to work from. Your gable details are very appealing.

It is raining today in the Houston area, so I went to Lowes to get some paint supplies for the trip up to the site. I am going to do a special paint treatment in the dining room and art niche that I did not want to pay the painter for:-) And if I don't like it, his crew will be there and they can just zoom over my creative efforts. It seems as though I have not done anything in this house yet to personalize it as I have in our other homes- so in that respect, I am wise enough to know what I want to handle and what is beyond my scope. I've been forbidden to paint the trays on this trip by DH:)

Think I dodged a bullet today with my fabricator who told me they are cutting the slabs tomorrow... um, without me seeing where the template is going. Not ok. So, it will be an early morning skirting city traffic on back roads to get up there before the cake is sliced, so to speak. Then, a meeting with Robert, the stamped concrete guy to finalize the driveway layout. Two one-piece Champion toilets are on their way, due to arrive tomorrow and tile is being laid upstairs as I type. I will be checking in less this week, but I hope all of everyone's progress goes well.

o

Echo deleted. I use what is considered a mobile device to post on GW, and apparently- when I hit the submission button, a firm touch produces twins;)

On another note, you know are getting close to the goal when you start posting things like this on Craigslist.

This post was edited by musicgal on Mon, Jun 9, 14 at 17:06

o

mlweaving_marji - sorry to hear about your dad :( re: Ferguson's, our builder goes through there for the lighting, appliances and plumbing. We got discounts for both lighting and appliances (we also got Thermador). Did you say you also got discounts on the plumbing fixtures? We made our selections and wanted to change (some were even "downgrades") sinks, some faucets etc, and the plumber (who gets stuff from Ferguson's) is charging us much more than Ferguson's showroom price, which we all know is not exactly cheap to begin with (Blanco sink that is ~$450 at Home Depot is ~$620 at Ferguson's and the price we got is even more than that. Wondering if this should be the case? Thank you.

o

Autumn you may not realize but you just said some sweet words to my ears "no loudness when the water runs"! OMG seriously? I'm so happy! I hate how loud the water is on my existing ss sink. It's like I can't hear a dang thing no matter how loud it is when the faucet is running. Wonderful info! I have NOT seen that ever come up in one of those silgranite threads as a 'pro'.

Also, LOL, I have to admit I was also thinking that metallic grey kind of matched stainless. Anyways, I'm so glad you love your sink and I can't wait to start using mine too :)

I don't have any pics yet but wood floors started today, more light fixtures, tiling, and the guys said they were going to install my pendants today too. I didn't get back there tonight to see but I'll be by tomorrow. Stone is complete on the fp. Love it. Butcherblock countertop on the bar is installed and oiled. Have to say, to die for. A little more minor grading in prep of driveway/patio pouring. I do have a pic of my fireplace.
[img]fireplace photo 0609141136a.jpg[/img]

o

Ilini-yes ma'am it's true and it's awesome!

Ferguson's-how could I forget! I sent them a link and they matched an online price! It had to have a picture of the item and the item number.

o

Illinigirl - love the fireplace stone! All your selections make me want to move to where you live and build there. Not in this freaking expensive land of nowhere haha!

o

Illini, I love that stone!

Marji, super good too see you post, I'm so sorry to hear about your dad though. :(I will definitely check out Fergusons for appliances...thanks for the tip. I'd love your feedback on our plans if you get a chance. :). Posted in another thread I started. :)

o

so this happened today....

photo 72E4D9BE-5E33-4FD5-9029-6400C91D3AD7_zps2au9091e.jpg

photo 2F945E88-3813-4679-9224-8DAAD93779A5_zpsyx30wnu2.jpg

photo 9BF3A4CA-2204-4CD7-920E-8B4401E17928_zps7wpuaimc.jpg

o

Turned out to be a better day today! Picked out all my plumbing fixtures, fireplace inserts, and brick, stone and stucco!

I am using the same stone on the outside of the house on my Great Room fireplace. Love it!!

o

autumn, I am in love with your sink. It's Blanco, right? I can't for the life of me find it on their site. The Performa Silgranite II is similar, but the back is curved whereas yours is not. And the smaller sink looks different on the website. Help!

o

Michelle1973 - I believe it is Precis Cascade. I saw it on the Blanco app.

Autumn.4 - Is cinder more on the grey or brown/taupe side? We chose truffle to go with a cocoa brown faucet, but my quartz is white with very light grey veining. Ferguson lady did not mention cinder. Just cafe brown, which is too brown and we have mostly greys, and anthracite, which is too dark. What do you think? Would cinder go with a Brizo cocoa brown faucet?

o

Northpole. I have a photo of both samples. I debated Cinder and Metallic Gray. I do think this in this photo that the MG looks lighter than it does installed, not sure why. You can see my MG installed sink earlier in this thread. I think because I used flash in the photo and that catches the 'metallic' more.

[img] photo 0424141225a.jpg[/img]

Metallic Gray:
[img] photo 0424141232c.jpg[/img]

Cinder:
[img] photo 0424141232b.jpg[/img]

They are both nice colors and really I don't think depending on your counter top, that you could not go wrong. Metallic gray does have a very subtle sparkle (very subtle) and Cinder is flat. The cinder does have a warmer undertone but it is not brown. I guess you could say it has a brownish undertone but the color definitely still reads gray. If you compared cinder to the cafe brown color it wouldn't look brown at all.

here is another closeup of Metallic Gray installed:
[img] photo 0605141105b.jpg[/img]

What countertop are you going with?

edited to add: My designer did not have a cinder sample at first either. I had to ask for it. It's a bit of a newer color.

This post was edited by illinigirl on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 7:05

o

quickly - illini - cross posting as my phone is so slow that is awesome fireplace stone and the whole room with the beams and all, SWOON!

michelle-here is a link - it's a bit smaller than illini's, fits in a 33" sink base which I *needed*. The pic here looks way darker than I think mine looks installed. They will send free samples. Blanco Precis Cascade. It's a low divide and I really am enjoying it. :D

Café brown and truffle are more brown most definitely.

Gotta scoot, be back later. Love everyone's pics!

o

Northpole, I replied on your plumbing thread. The only thing I can think is that your plumber is adding on his %.
Where I live Fergusons is the only option. For hours in any direction. At least for plumbing supplies. There are two other major appliance dealers in the adjacent communities (Hilton Head and Bluffton). Fergusons beat the Appliance place in HH by a margin that was significant on appliance package, and came in right on the money with the other one. I will say that our builder likes to use F's. I was less than impressed with their staff knowledge on appliances. I'm one who does a lot of research, and it was clear to me at the outset that I knew far more than the sales rep there about the advantages/disadvantages of different models/brands. If it had been up to me I probably would have ordered from the store in Bluffton because the guy spent a lot of time going over with us the various diff configs with vent hoods. That said, the rep at F's knew her plumbing inside and out.

Michelle, I'll have to go look at your other thread. I haven't spent much time here since getting back. Lots of running around yesterday. In 1999, when I redid my kitchen in Traverse City, I got my appliances at Max's. Back then they were the only game in town, no Lowe's or HD or anything. I just looked at their website, and they evidently don't carry Thermador. I was really surprised. Looks like they do carry Dacor. Last house we built I put in Dacor cooktop and micro. Way too much micro for me, but it was pretty. I used it to pop popcorn and reheat coffee. I'm skipping the micro in this kitchen in favor of a Steam Oven. But I'm weird. Most people wouldn't consider living without a microwave. I liked my Dacor cooktop, but didn't like the downdraft. I'd done an island cooktop. I would not do that again. The downdraft was so powerful that it distorted the gas flame, to the point that I almost never used the downdraft. Come to think of it, there must be a Fergusons somewhere near you. GR is close enough to you to be ordering appliances, and I believe that's where Autumn and Illini are going to Fergusons.

Robyn, that's gorgeous stone!
And Carson, How exciting! Now, admit it, you're building a rather large house, but at this stage doesn't that slab look so small to you that you're worried? I remember when our foundation was poured and the framing done - we're on a crawl 4' above ground (they don't call this the low country for nuthin'). Anyway I remember how small I thought it looked when it was just a footprint on the dirt, and honestly I got a little panicked. Now everyone pulls up to our build and remarks how big it is! And it's not really. Another illusion with the wrap around porch.
Illini they are really flying now on your house. How is your hubby doing? Did he fully recover? Your FP wall looks really nice.
Music do you have pics yet of what you painted yesterday? I'd love to have the talent to paint. My contribution is coming soon, as soon as I can get in and get my sewing machines set up. I'm making all of our soft window treatments. I believe after I get some paperwork done this morning that I'm going to make the trek to the fabric place to order my drapery fabric for our master.

Yesterday our shower enclosure went in. I think we weren't paying attention when the she drew the bathrooms on the plans. Wish I'd found GW earlier and gone over some of these plan issues. Our upstairs bath was so small we ended up having the builder move a framing wall. And this shower enclosure in our mb is large enough to have a party in. It's pretty though. I've got to get on the stick and order towel bars and tp holders today too!

o

Thanks for the sink info, Autumn!

And, thanks Marji....also, we do have a Ferguson's in TC. So, it'll be very handy. :) They just redid their showroom here too....it's huge and overwhelming!

o

Northpole-I will have to look up that faucet. On phone now and that is a pain. Do you have time to order samples before you commit? Blanco sent them really quickly I thought.

Re sink colors- I find it interesting that ss is accepted to match everything and yet I stressed over which color would 'match'. Just a personal observation about myself. :)

o

illinigirl...love your choices! Where did you get your dining room fixture (drum light)? Love it!

Just starting our build and this site has been a wonderful resource!

o

bootown- thank you. The drum light is by kichler. We got most of our lighting choices from Kendal lighting showroom as we get a 35% discount from them through our builder. i'm sure you can find this same light at many places or online.

o

Robyn,
your choices look so nice together!

Marji- thanks for asking. Hubby is recovered in the sense that he's 100% back to work at full hours. He will likely never be exactly the same again due to the foot injury, however he is functioning as normal, able to do everything he did before work and activity wise.

o

Hello all. Thank you for all the help you've already provided as I've been lurking for a few months as we get ready to build. A logistical question- is there any way to open a thread on GW and be taken to the most recent postings? Am I the only one who scrolls all the way from the beginning? I just thought there must be an easier way but I can't figure it out! :) TIA!

o

Updates (or lack thereof) -

Still no framing. On 35th day since dig. We finally got some answers. They said framing will start late next week. That would be 2 weeks without any activity on the site. Am I the only one annoyed by this?!

Still no updated pricing from the plumbers from the Ferguson plumbing stuff we chose. We are waiting on pricing for the alternative freestanding tub Ferguson had suggested, since plumbers said they will charge extra $1000 for the tub if we get it somewhere else (not Ferguson). We were told last week we need to make final plumbing selections this week because plumbers will start ordering. First of all, I think we need the prices (which they have not come up with yet) to make these decisions. And secondly, I feel we are being rushed with these selections when really, there is no house to speak of yet. Maybe we will just camp out on the driveway haha!

What a nightmare.

o

Marji- I had to put out fires today, but this is the target!

Carson- yeah. A solid floor in a shifting world.

So, today I found slabs at the fabricator I didn't pick. Did y'all notice lightnin' coming down 'cause it surely did:-) But I am old, so it's par for the course.

Painting tomorrow after I check the new slabs. Yep.

o

My future laundry room

My upstairs heated/cooled storage closet so I won't have to store anything in the attic

Master closet

Master bedroom

Kitchen

Upstairs bonus room (it will remain this way until DH and I finish this sometime after the build

My little window at the top of the vaulted LR. The part with no Sheetrock will have cypress ship lap.

North Pole - this is the game and it will happen often. Try not to get too frustrated and use the extra time to price shop your selections. I know it is very hard but it will happen over and over again.

Robyn - love the stone and all your choices are beautiful.

Autumn4 - my samples have been ordered. I will have to order from the web because no one around here has the silgranite sinks.

Tamara - I'd like to know that too. I always just scroll to the bottom.

Mlweaving - sorry about your Dad. It was definitely nice to see you posting again. Don't worry about the bathrooms. You'll enjoy that big shower! Hope you ordered your towel bars and TP holders. I haven't even looked at those yet.

Illini - I like the metallic gray also. I'm going to have to wait for my samples and then put them with my countertops (which I haven't yet chosen) before I make a decision. I hadn't considered the silgranite until I found out the price of the SS in the size I want. So, why not spend a little more and get something better? It's just money, right?

Carson - you finally have a slab! I hope that snake got stuck underneath it...lol.

Musicgal - I hope you're enjoying your week at the new house and not melting in the Texas sun.

LadyBrownCoat - Any more progress? I hope so.

Hoosier - What's going on with y'all? I hope everything is going well. The finish line is in sight, no?

o

Musicgal - Love the niche. Good thing you were there to catch the fabricators before that turned in to a huge mess. I hope they get it right tomorrow.

o

JDez, thanks! I needed that. Excited to see what you pick out for your sink color. We have truffle written down, but I think I will order samples now too. Hopefully they arrive before we need to make final selections on plumbing.

o

Thanks JDez. As Scarlett says, tomorrow IS another day:)

This post was edited by musicgal on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 0:13

o

About scrolling to the bottom....
I only just figured out a few weeks ago that if I click on "post a follow up" that it takes you right to the bottom. Even if you don't really want to post yet it's easier to start at the bottom and scroll up than the reverse especially on cell phones. Let me know how that works for you.

Jdez- looks great. Can't wait to see that ship lap!

This post was edited by illinigirl on Wed, Jun 11, 14 at 3:00

o

JDez, I've been out of town visiting our son and family. One of our granddaughters graduated from HS. I'm flying back today. DH stayed home as we finally got some action going again. Poor thing would have rather seen the family. BTW, I love your heated/cooled storage area. Wish we had done something like that.

Plumbers showed up early Monday morning and are supposed to be working all week. I guess we were on the top of their list after the parade of homes started June 7. Carpenter apparently finished up, too. DH worked with him building the fireplace mantel. I think the still had the sides to go but DH said he told the carpenter he'd just finish it up. I wish he wouldn't do that. We already paid carpenter. He would have come back. DH just takes on more and more even when he doesn't have to. He was supposed to have had a long night last night to get done things ready before plumbers came today. He had to install some shelving for our reverse osmosis filtering system in the garage. And, plumbers said they wouldn't install pedestals for washer and dryer so he had to do that so they can install W/D today. He also had to clean out the space in the pole barn where his half bath is going and where the radiant heat equipment will be mounted on the wall.

We are getting there but still too wet for septic laterals. Some day. :-)

o

Illinigirl, thank you so much! Definitely easier on my iPad, which I'm always using to look at GW. I've also really enjoyed reading/seeing your posts along the way!

Northpole- our builder prides himself on providing an accurate estimate/contract and that he has never had to ask for more money from a homeowner during the process (unless it was a change order that the homeowner initiated) so he has been adamant about us making selections that seem crazy at this point in the process. I feel your pain. I had myself so stressed about the darn tile in the guest baths...and we haven't even broken ground yet! It's great to know that we won't be nickeled and dimed to death down the line, but the pressure to make important decisions NOW is a bit much!

o

wow, no posts most of today. Where is everyone??

I just wanted to post a big relief that I think I have ordered all my cabinet/bath hardware for the whole house now. That was an ordeal. I could not find a full collection of matching items that I liked for each category (robe hook, hand towel hook, toilet paper holder). So I did a little mixing and matching. Thankfully I didn't WANT towel bars because the other two baths with showers had no place for a towel bar except over the toilet.

Oh, I have to take back my relief, I just realized I still need shower curtain rods. I am looking for a specific kind- curved double rod. Anyone use one they love????

But still, getting the hooks and the rest ordered feels good. The only issue being more than half my kitchen hardware is on backorder until July 11 (and hopefully not longer).

so what's up with everyone else today???

o

Hi illini, I worked all day at the site. I haven't worked that hard in months, not since we sold our house and moved into our rental. My GC had to take his wife in to a specialist in Houston as she is very sick right now. So, I hung out with the painters and stainers and worked on my art niche. Ran out of supplies so I go back to Home Deplorable tomorrow and buy some more.

Carson, I read the thread about your dirt dilemma... send some to me if you find some. Driveway guy is now coming on Monday, and I still have a hole in the ground out there.

I worked cleaning the floors until 3pm today, and have a blister to show for my endeavors. Picked up chunks of concrete, covered my whirlpool tub and chunked a few bags of assorted construction flotsam into the dumpster. Tile guy is coming Friday and I wanted to get a head start on prepping those floors. Much of the paint is done and I will take pics before I leave on Friday morning. My personal goal is getting the niche ready before I leave. My car therometer read 100 today. Painter felt sorry for me and trained one of his drying fans on me.

So, I am out in the garage, dripping sweat and caked with dust and one of my lookie loos saunters in looking for paint cans. That's what he said anyway:-) The painter and I exchanged a meaningful expression. I can only hope when we move in and I am taking a bath, I don't have people trying to get into the bathrooms looking for cans.

o

I have been away for a few days with friends in San Francisco. Got back last night to a tag on the door from UPS. Flooring samples I ordered from a US company. UPS wants money for brokerage and taxes. Brokerage and taxes on free samples? The sender put down a value of $200 for customs. So UPS is charging me $10 in taxes, and $51 for the service of collecting the $10 in taxes. $51 on a $200 package. Ugh. That's why I never order anything from the US that ships UPS. They charge ridiculous brokerage fees that they hide from US senders and pretend to have low shipping rates. I told them to send them back and let the sender know they tried to rip off one of their customers.

Still waiting on a new stair quote. Got quotes for floor joists, engineering fees and excavation. Excavation is the worst of the bunch. Who knew it costs so much to dig a hole?

BIL (GC) was looking at the floor joist plan, and apparently we have a beam in the basement at the bottom of the stairs that DH would be smacking his head on. He called the joist company, and apparently that's a typo, and it's fine. But now DH is concerned because we're supposed to have 9' ceilings in the basement, so there shouldn't be any danger of anyone whacking their head. Gotta track down the architect to get that verified.

Autumn, I love the curved walkway. And the dog. :-)

o

Whoa, this thread has really slowed down. We are waiting for the sheetrock finishers to do their thing. They feel like they will be done by next Wednesday. Next week, we are supposed to have the porches and carport completely finished while DH and I start painting the interior. I'm not holding my breath waiting on our building crew. Our builder took on three more houses in the last two months and he is getting on my last nerve with all of his unfulfilled timeline promises. J is about to open a can of whoop @#&#!

o

Yeah, we don't have anything going on. Waiting on the people to come wrap the house and then put on siding/windows/doors... then we get to move on to the interior work.

Can anyone give me an idea of when (at what point in the process) you had your septic/well dug? And also, how long it took (were they in and out in a few days)? We need a BAT septic system (best available technology) since we're on the bay, and supposedly it's super duper awesome so I kind of want to see it going in. Just not sure when to keep an eye out. Thanks!

o

wow, haven't been on for a while-so much to see and hear! Encouraging in many ways and also gives me an idea of what to look out for. Got sticker shock from builder's estimate so back to looking at what we need, what would be nice to have, and what we'd like to have. To be honest, we were under pressure to get everything spec'd out and didn't really pay attention to cost. Some of it was easy to cut back on and we're working on other areas. Love our architect but he designed a challenging build(based on what we were looking for-main floor living and maximize ocean view). Fortunately our builder has worked with him before and he really has gone out of his way to help us with all the permits needed to build in this central coast California town. We got our minor use permit back in Feb. and have been waiting for building permits. Architect checked with county, someone put a hold on it for geologic reasons.Said person is now on vacation until June 30th. Architect followed up(geologic had been approved already in the MUP). Since we live in Pa we are very grateful for all the help Gary has done in dealing with the county. Once we get the building permits and construction loan approval(which should happen in the next few days) we're hoping to break ground. On the home front, we're waiting to see what happens with my husband's company's reorganization. Our initial plan was to move to AZ(where he has been working for the past year) but now we don't know if he'll be there, in NJ or unemployed. (he retired from his previous company last year so we'll be okay, but have more wiggle room if he's working. However, if he's not working we'll probably rent in CA-much easier to keep an eye on the build). This limbo thing is taking a toll, but we know it will be good in the end.

Okay-probably way too much info for you, but gave me a chance to vent.Again I really appreciate reading everyone's stories-love the positive and supportive nature of this thread.

o

Illini, thanks for the tip on getting to the end of the thread!

Well, we officially released our architect to begin construction drawings. It took way longer than I thought to get to this point (all on DH and myself). Architect thinks 4 weeks for construction drawings. I hope it doesn't take that long. I'm gathering docs for construction loan. I've narrowed down some selections. What else should I be doing? We want to break ground ASAP.

o

I have empathy for everyone in a holding pattern. Seems like we will never get in. These last few weeks seem interminable.
CZ, welcome, and good luck.
Michelle, take a cue from Cz's first paragraph, and start looking at all of your selections. There is so much to pick out. And what you choose can have such a huge impact on the pricing. Our contractor wanted as much as possible chosen in advance, so that our pricing could be as accurate as possible.
Talk to your builder about the HVAC system. Do you cook seriously? If so (I do), you probably have some pretty specific requirements for your kitchen. try to start nailing those down.
Start looking at lighting. If you have prelim floor plan you can start to make decisions about where you want pendants, sconces, chandeliers, recessed etc. The more selections you make, the more it'll influence the future selections you make.
At some point you'll decide if you want to get an ID involved. Or a lighting consultant.
The selection process is HUGE. Get as much nailed down in advance as possible.
That, m'dear, was the fun part.

I have to say that too many of our selections at the point they were needed were backordered. I'm so happy to say that our really super special Arteriors Chandelier for our foyer just came. It's breathtaking! (It better be!!)
Today the fabric samples that I ordered for dining room chair upholstery came. I'm so anxious to see it in the house we're going out there after dinner.

o

CZ, I feel your pain! The graders will be at our property tomorrow to start moving dirt, and three weeks ago I was already having three hour meetings with the lighting, plumbing, and tile folks. Our builder wants to be able to give us the precise final cost, and to that end has really pressured us to nail down details that seem crazy at this point. Believe me, I want an accurate price, but some of it seems ridiculous! Serenity now!! :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here