Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
auroraborelis

Wet rated fixture for over tub - not can lights?

auroraborelis
10 years ago

My local code required a wet rated ceiling fixture to go over the tub, however once the final is done I'm going to replace it with a chandelier.

Does anyone know of a wet rated fixture that is not a can light that can go above a tub?

Comments (22)

• renovator8
    10 years ago

The fixture is probably required to be "damp rated" rather than "wet rated."

In bathtub and shower areas, no parts of cord-connected fixtures, hanging fixtures, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended fans can be located within a zone measured 3 ft horizontally and 8 ft vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone includes the zone directly over the tub or shower stall.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

"...Does anyone know of a wet rated fixture that is not a can light that can go above a tub?..."

Of course. Home Depot and Lowes stock them. All of the Internet lighting retailers stock them. Google it and take your choice.

Good luck on your build. There's a reason for the building code requirement cited by Reno--you safety and that of anyone using the tub/shower.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator8, my builder told me it was wet rated, but perhaps he was mistaken, I will double check. I think you are probably aware from my other posts, but I am in California.

That said, I have been searching and I'm having a very difficult time finding a wet location ceiling fixture.

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Light fixtures installed in wet or damp locations must be installed so that water cannot enter or accumulate in wiring compartments, lampholders, or other electrical parts.

All light fixtures installed in wet locations shall be marked, âÂÂSuitable for Wet LocationsâÂÂ.

All light fixtures installed in damp locations shall be marked, âÂÂSuitable for Damp LocationsâÂÂ.

Light fixtures located within the actual outside dimensions of a bathtub or shower to a height of 8 feet from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold must be marked for DAMP locations.

Where subject to shower spray, the fixtures must be marked for WET locations.

In general, since such fixtures usually have a seal, they are often marked for wet and damp locations. Many are made for exterior use and are therefore usually more expensive and difficult to relamp.

If this is a throw-away fixture, Google "wet location ceiling light fixture" and choose the cheapest one.

Here is a link that might be useful: cheap wet location fixture

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree, there is a reason for the code...I've seen candice olson put chandys over tubs and always wonder how she gets away with it....nice look, but not safe.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone.

Renovator8, thanks for the link, especially since I know you disagree! For some reason I was having trouble tracking something like that down.

As for codes existing for a reason... Well, maybe this one has a good purpose, but are you telling me you never think any building codes go a bit to far? I can list out several random arbitrary requirements that we had to meet that have cost me $50,000 which are just ridiculous. ONe great example, tempered glass on all my windows? Please...

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

What is the sill height above the floor of these windows? Are they located adjacent to a door or passage way?

While it may not make sense to you, provisions in the building code are only there after an extensive hearing and approval process, often based on actual conditions of property loss, injury and/or death.

I agree that code provisions may often seem burdensome, but what is your life, and that of your family and friends, worth? Unless one has extensive design and construction experience, the best advice may be to accept the building code as life and property insurance. And even if one does have extensive experience in the building field, the fact is that code compliance is the law in areas where building codes have been adopted.

Often, folks who take exception to the building code are those who aren't familiar with it at the outset and get surprised by applicable requirements later in the construction process. It's another reason to use an architect or experienced design professional.

Good luck with your project.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgilcarter, can I ask what state you live in, I'm guessing it isn't California or Washington State? We are using a very experienced design professional, and an engineer and a fantastic builder and the general consensus is that much of the local requirements are ridiculous.

I'm building in an unincorporated county area, but my house is in town, the lines are drawn oddly and that the houses behind me, and in front of me both follow city rules, and I have to follow the county rules. All of the windows in my house, regardless of the distance from the floor or from a door have to tempered due to risk of wildfire, which I'm not at all at risk for. The county has caused me nearly $100,000 in costs that I wouldn't have incurred if I was on the other side of the street. I think I have paid for the right to complain.

Generally, I'm accepting all the requirements imposed on me, though often when I read on GW about how easy some people have it in other states I'm more than a bit jealous. I'm not circumventing any other requirements, just occasionally complaining about them.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Laura, I practiced architecture in Palo Alto, San Francisco and Washington, DC for 17 years, before relocating in response to an invitation to become the Head of the School of Architecture at Oklahoma State University. So I do understand that different jurisdictions have different standards.

Your explanation of your site's location does help to explain your situation. Did you try for a variance or exception to the standard code requirements, based on your location? Of course, it's water under the bridge apparently, given where you are in the process now.

$100K gives you the right to complain. Heck, lots of folks here haven't spent anything and they complain! And of course, no one likes to do stuff they don't want to do!

Good luck on your project.

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks! It wasn't possible to an exception, and we are nearly through it all now! three more months to go!

Answer one question, is it not more enjoyable doing your job in Oklahoma where things are less strict than a place like Palo Alto? :)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Laura, architecture is about designing and building. It doesn't matter where. A skilled professional quickly learns to identify the local mandatory requirements so as to use them as favorably as possible.

Seismic conditions, expansive soils and fires are concerns in parts of California. Tornados, strong winds, rain and large hail are concerns in Oklahoma.

The only people who get to design buildings without concern for local conditions are architectural students and Internet plan factories.

Good luck with your project!

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I understand, I've just listened to quite a few professionals in your field who are quite frustrated with over regulation in this area.

Thanks for the help!

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Please don't lump building and electrical codes in with regional or local exterior fire protection codes. These are two very different regulations for very different circumstances and very different purposes. You might as well be complaining about the speed limit or the drinking age in your area.

IMO some single family house code regulations are adequate and some are not but they have come a long way since the major national consensus code writers joined together to write one code 15 years ago.

The prohibition regarding chandeliers over a bathtub or shower is a requirement of the National Electrical Code written by the National Fire Prevention Association (NFPA 70) and repeated verbatim in the IRC and other building codes. It would be unwise to disregard NFPA's knowledge and judgement regarding electrical and fire safety in residences.

If you want a reality check read the bimonthly NFPA Journal. You will be surprised by how many people die from easily avoidable electrical fires and shocks. If you don't think anyone would try to stand on the edge of a tub in order to change a bulb in an overhead light fixture, think again. The most famous person to die doing that was Claude Francois, the French pop singer aka Cloclo. Perhaps someone at NFPA was a fan.

Here is a link that might be useful: NFPA Journal

• auroraborelis
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry, had just moved on to complaining in general!

• allison0704
    10 years ago

You can either buy an inexpensive outdoor fixture (with small, round ceiling mount) that will be close match to your chandelier ceiling mount, then replace after final inspection. I brought 4 antique sconces with us to use 2 in the foyer and 2 in the powder room. I took the powder room sconces to a local lamp shop and had them rewired with a ground wire - the inspector still wouldn't approve, so off to Lowe's I went and bought 2 cheap outdoor wall sconces for the inspection and replaced after he left. Returned the wall sconces that were up less than a day and turned on twice.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

So, under the code, could I mount an outdoor-rated ceiling fan in the ceiling of a small bathroom? The location would be within 3 ft horizontally and 8 ft vertically from the top of the bathtub.

• Gwen Perpich
    2 years ago

After reading all this, I’m still confused. Can I install a WET RATED chandelier over the bathtub and be within code?

• res2architect
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

If it's more than 8 ft above tub rim its allowed and must be Wet rated if its in the water spray (which it is not) and damp rated otherwise.

2017 Code Language:

410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower Areas. No parts of cord-connected luminaires, chain-, cable, or cord-suspended luminaires, lighting track, pendants, or ceiling-suspended (paddle) fans shall be located within a zone measured 900 mm (3 ft) horizontally and 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower stall threshold. This zone is all encompassing and includes the space directly over the tub or shower stall. Luminaires located within the actual outside dimension of the bathtub or shower to a height of 2.5 m (8 ft) vertically from the top of the bathtub rim or shower threshold shall be marked for damp locations, or marked for wet locations where subject to shower spray.

• nicolejsuhr
    last year

so after all of the above...does anyone actually know of sites that sell wet rated attractive chandeliers/pendant/flush lights? Same problem, hard to find

• res2architect
    last year

Google wet rated pendant lights. https://www.houzz.com/products/pendant-lighting/features_lighting--Damp-or-Wet-Location-Listed

I don't think you'll find many wet rated chandeliers since they generally have exposed lamps. The ones that might comply are really multiple pendants.

Wet rated flush mounted lights with enclosed lamps are common.

• PRO
    Floored You: TileDesigners
    last year

A common solution to this is to use a strong recessed light that shines down through a glass or crystal chandelier that is not electrified. It's just a hanging decoration.