Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Concrete or clay tile roof?

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 17, 12 at 9:30

We're in the early phase of our build (mediterranean style home) and have to decide on sticking to a concrete tile (simulation spanish tile) or opting for a clay tile. We have the upgrade option for less than $10,000 for approx 65 squares of roof.

I'm confused about the color fasteness of concrete tile. Contractors, etc say that it retains its color like clay but I'm reading about fading issues when I research. Anyone have suggestions or thoughts on the choice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Concrete or clay tile roof?

We have a terracotta cement tile roof and the tiles are the same color, though and through. It's 13 years old and looks brand new. Here in FL, we have it cleaned each year because of algae growth from all the rain.

o

Beachlily,
Good to know! We are able to go with Mextile cement at no cost or upgrade to clay. The colors we like look very similar to clay but we were concerned that the deep south sun will fade them and cause us to regret not upgrading.

Attached is a photo of the roof we're considering instead of clay

Here is a link that might be useful: Mextile San Antonio Blend

o

i went with clay tiles mainly because most of the houses in my neighborhood are clay tile. the concrete does look a little different-- mainly the texture is not as smooth. color-wise, the roofing salesmen told us that the concrete tiles of today are much better than before so the fading is not as bad. but i have heard that if you have a roof repair further down the line, it is easier to match new clay tiles to the old tiles than new concrete tiles. HTH!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here