Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ceiling height for 3 level home

Posted by lmb4jc (My Page) on
Tue, Jun 17, 14 at 9:28

We are building a custom home with 9' ceilings on the first floor. will the exterior look okay if we do 9' on the 2nd floor? Architect says it will look "top heavy" and recommends 8' on second, but that is too low for us. Don't really want 10' on main floor as costs for windows, doors, cabinets and trim goes up. We are having a finished 3rd level so adding volume ceilings to just the master BR/BA is not an option.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ceiling height for 3 level home

Your architect is correct about the proportions. Especially if this is one of those wide and deep and already roof top heavy plans like so many of the mills turn out these days. 8' is more than tall enough for rooms where you spend the majority of time in them with your eyes closed asleep. Put the height and space into the public rooms where you live the majority of your life. That's not the bedrooms. Or bathrooms.

o

The proof will be in the elevation drawing. Until one is drawn the architect cannot know that it will appear "top heavy" especially if there will be a 3rd floor above it. The architect should be able to design a well proportioned house with all ceiling heights at 9 ft.

o

We have a mix of 9 and 8 ft ceilings upstairs (we didn't build the house) and I much prefer the rooms with 9 ft.

o

Our previous home had 9' ceilings up and down...and looked perfectly fine. It was a colonial style 2 story. I think window sizes could be adjusted if "top-heavy" is a concern...but I can't imagine that it would be. Every home in our previous neighborhood (production builder) had 9' ceilings up and down...none of the many house facades looked at all strange.

o

The older row houses that have 14, 12, 10, 8 foot ceilings or 12, 10, 9, 8 foot ceilings on ascending floors look more graceful than the new construction 9,9,9,9 or 10,9,9,9 houses in the same neighborhood. It's a subtle difference, and maybe most people don't notice it, but I think it makes a difference.

o

We have 9' in the basement, 10' on the main floor, and 8' on the 2nd floor, which is all bedrooms and bathrooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here