Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
war_eagle

Pro Painting Question

War_Eagle
10 years ago

I posted this in paint but thought I might get more responses here. I can't wait to post in the June Build section....we can see light at the end of the tunnel now!
Just curious of a few things on a new build. Size of house is around 4,500 sq. ft,lots of crown molding, etc... What would be an estimate for a job like this? How many man hours would it take? To make a long story short I took on this project by myself...zero help. I have a full time job and go over after work everyday. I also used a two week vacation (13 hours a day) and Friday (dont work on Fridays), Saturday and Sunday (sunrise to sunset). I started this "routine" on May 6 and after this past weekend am ready to paint trim (have spent the past 100+ hours of work time just caulking, sanding and filling nail holes). My other frustration are the trim guys.....I dont think they were used to going into a new build with every wall painted with what I thought was an almost finished coat. So I have lots of scratches on walls, dents, dirty hand prints on walls and ceilings, writing on walls, etc.... By the way I also did all of the exterior...but that was done back in the early spring. I now have a much better appreciation for professional painters. I also think the estimate that I did get for this job was not that outrageous.

Comments (7)

• abrshafer
    10 years ago

My house is going to be 4476 sq ft. I'm located in the south. My painting is going to cost 5000 for exterior (house is mostly brick and stone) and 11,740 for interior. Sounds like you have been busy!

• PRO
    Window Accents by Vanessa Downs
    10 years ago

I'm in the same area as abrshafer and my painters quoted low on the exterior to win the job and then made up for it on the inside. Our interior quote was over $16,000 and that was a little over 3,500 sq ft. We paid a different guy to paint our basement. We started to paint the basement ourselves and it was just too much while trying to manage a new build, selling our other home, working and packing. Bless you for taking on that job! WAR EAGLE!!!!!

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Well DH and his brother did our painting. We have a 2400 square foot house but we have massive peaks. It really depends on how picky you are. DH is SUPER picky and I believe our house is the most caulked house in the history of man kind. He spent a good 80 hours caulking the damn thing.... don't get me started. But the end result looks amazing. He and is brother, who is a pro painter, painted the entire exterior in a weekend and that is with masking off the area under the roof.

They did the interior in a day and half but we mostly have one color throughout and he will be back to paint mill work.

Out of pocket it cost us 3K because we were able to use his discount on the the paint.

Example: super caulked soffit.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Here is another example, DH added that tiny trim piece so you would not see a gap and caulked the crap out of it. lol. So for us, money was low, time was HIGH.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

• LOTO
    10 years ago

I have about 3000 sq ft finished and another 450 in garage and my painter is charging me $8,300.00. The drywall will be completed this week and the painters will come in an put one coat on the walls and ceiling and then the floors go down and then cabinets/doors/trim and when this is complete my painter will come back and put 2 coats on the trim and another coat on the walls and ceiling.
    Personally I would put no paint on before trim/doors before I would put both coats on prior to trim because of all the touchup needed and I may just do that if my painter does not keep his agreed to schedule.

• War_Eagle
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sweet R....sounds like your DH is like me......making everything perfect takes time! By the way your photos are excellent. What type of camera/lens are you using?

LOTO....I painted before trim install because of the timing of my 2 weeks off between spring and summer semester.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

War Eagle,
    I guess I should have said that if I knew the trim guys were going to do damage I wouldn't do the finish painting. I certainly am not a pro but it does suck when contractors damage someones work with no care for it.

• sweet.reverie
    10 years ago

Thanks. I am a professional photography by trade. Camera is a Nikon D700, I only have two lenses, Nikkor 50mm 1.4 and 85mm 1.8. This was the 50.