Nantahala / Amicalola / Tranquility Part 2

JHester
9 years ago

We have exceeded the max number of posts. Time for a new thread

Comments (6)

• JHester
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BeckyHenley - I'm hoping you find the new thread. You had just posted about your a coupe of your bids. We have just gotten back a few of ours. Home is 3000 sq feet and what we've gotten back so far is as follows: lumber package, interior/exterior doors, crown molding, windows (double-hung casement), Hardieboard exterior, and roof and was $89,900. That doesn't include any labor.

• Noteworthy1
    9 years ago

Greetings! This is my first time to the thread. My wife and I are considering building a version (1 of a million apparently) of the Amicalola Cottage. I am working with a local architect to make the changes we desire. I am seeing some of the posts concerning the costs. I am a builder, but building your own home is a dramatically different process. I am trying to find someone who knows the industry, built the home themselves (as the general contractor) and was able to effectively control costs who might be willing to share their budget breakdown via email and not public posting. Anyone?

Additionally, any high end empty nesters in southwestern Ohio seeking a smaller footprint home, with VERY custom finishes as well as a long term green impact (geothermal, wood, solar, back up generators, automation, controlled future energy costs, etc.) feel free to contact me.

• schnurrl
    9 years ago

We are going to build a custom Amicalola. Met with Mike Garrell and his son, Jay, yesterday in Suwanee. Great meeting with them and great working with such professionals. Our questions going in focused primarily on size of rooms and how to change the facade to a little less rustic look. Mike was great and we ended up "bumping" out a lot to enlargen the Amicalola model floor plan which had about 3,200 sq feet on the main level --- it will be quite a bit larger now. BL great session with them and I highly recommend meeting with them if you can and are looking to make adjustments. We will end up with a customized plan totally for us. Yes you pay for it... but in our case it is well worth that cost to get exactly what we want and he was full of fantastic ideas!! we are building in Blacksburg, VA.

• jacjac
    9 years ago

Looking for a walk through in northeast Georgia. Is anyone willing? Also would like to get suggestions for framers in this area who have already built some version of this house.

• btshelley
    9 years ago

My husband and I are in the process of building a "version" of the Amicalola. I would love to know where everyone has decided to put there main TV. We are in the wiring stage and we can't decide if we should wire above the mantle in the lodge room, or place on wall between lodge room and kitchen. I don't like first option because it takes away from the rustic feel of the fireplace and mantle and I don't like option 2 because it forces you to have two focal points in the room. Any suggestions from what others have done would be appreciated. We are going to put a TV in Keeping Room instead of a fireplace in there. But would still like one in lodge room.