Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about Paint Pricing

Posted by jillandmatt (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 11 at 8:18

Hello, We are building a new house and are almost ready for paint. Our contract with our builder is for flat paint in the entire house. With three kids I want to switch to a washable flat or an eggshell. Our builder asked the painters what the cost would be to switch. The painter said it would be a $175 per room upcharge. The painter gave two reasons: the eggshell would need a third coat (the flat would only need two coats)and the eggshell is a more expensive paint than flat. Does that sounds reasonable? I have painted with eggshell before and have never used three coats... this is in addition to the drywall primer they will spray on first. I know the eggshell is a little more expensive, but only $5-$7 per gallon, probably less than that with the painter's discount. Thanks for any advice!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about Paint Pricing

Eggshell shows more imperfections so they have to work harder to get it right. They might do an extra coat because they do an extra check for imperfections.

Also they have to clean out the brushes etc. The charge sounds pretty reasonable.

o

Don't count on them actually applying the third coat if the second coat covers well which it should.

o

Thanks! We are now thinking about going with a washable flat. The paint store says it's the same price as the eggshell and requires the same amount of coats. I'm waiting to see what the painter says and if he is going to charge extra for this paint.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here