Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kdm121

4th side brick cost?

Katherine Dale
10 years ago

We're in this messy build. The spec list came back as three sided brick. We wanted and kept asking our agent for months about doing all brick, but she kept saying that it would be a ridiculous amount and that it didn't matter unless a house was $2m in our area. We finally met with our interior designer last week and she was shocked by our agent's stance and fully recommended to do the back in brick. So now we've been waiting for pricing.

Unfortunately, they are in framing, so while they said the brick would be $8,750, they are now going back to price out redoing the footings, reinforcing the wall, etc. Does anyone have a ballpark as to how much all that will be? The original spec calls for this to be hardiplank, which is relatively costly, so hopefully the final, final price (once you include the original hardiplank credit) won't be too much? Most of the back of the house (two-stories) is windows. We're crossing our fingers that this comes back at no more than 10k. Is that even a possibility?

Comments (8)

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I guess anything is possible!

But, without knowing ALL the details, no one can say for sure.

• chispa
    10 years ago

You are getting a spec list AFTER you signed a contract and gave them a deposit?

• Katherine Dale
    Original Author
    10 years ago

No, we signed with the 3-sided brick. We wanted to upgrade, but this is this investors first new construction build, so he didn't have any of this priced out. Our agent kept saying that doing the back in brick would be a waste of money and then the designer recommended the 4th side brick last week and they began pricing it out. But since we are already in framing, I'm nervous as to how high this estimate will be. Does that make sense?

• mrspete
    10 years ago

Regardless of what it costs, I'd either make it all brick or no brick -- leaving one side "unfinished" or "mismatched" looks cheap. I'd cut some costs elsewhere, if necessary.

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

I do not understand the whole "investor" thing...

Is this in the US? Is this a new (old) creative way of financing? Why are you, the homeowner, not make the decisions on the house you're building? Or, at least with regards to direct discussions with the GC.

Is this really an investor development, which are you are buying into early (before the houses are done) and hoping to get some customization since they are in-process?

I don't think you are the only one who has mentioned "investor" issues on this board, but all of the sudden "investor" issues have come up more than once in the last month. I have been on the boards over a year, regularly, and haven't seen this. So, looking for explanation/insight.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Truth be it told I would have a real hard time with a third party dictating what is going in or on my house.

• chispa
    10 years ago

It sounds like the investor should have built a spec house and then offered it for sale once built. Once you get a customer/buyer involved it becomes a completely different project. I have friends who do high quality flips involving major remodels/additions and they never offer them for sale until they are completely done. They have a great reputation and don't need the hassle of dealing with a buyer before the project is completed. They are also great if you hire them as your GC and bankroll your own project, but then it is a different contract and relationship.

OP, can you meet with the investor and have an open and honest conversation? Did you use a lawyer to review the contract?

• nini804
    10 years ago

I agree with Mrs. Pete....I never understood the point behind 3-sides brick!