Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houses14

Garage doors

houses14
9 years ago

I have 18 x 8, and 9 x 8

What brands are good quality with reasonable prices for insulated metal doors?

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• guitarman502
    9 years ago

I did 10x8 wayne dalton doors in hunter green with windows at the top for right around 1k a piece (no garage door openers or installation in that price). I'm happy with the quality.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Clopay Gallery Doors come in a variety of colors and configurations. Ours look like wood, but are steel. We like the wood look but our climate is very humid and hot, and our garage faces south, so we got the super-insulated option. The price was decent too. Here's what they look like.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

We used CHI. This house is 10 yrs old and they have been great. Plus the added benefit of supporting our local economy. They are made close to home. This is the only pic I could find. Ignore the door that had been hit with a ball.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garage doors

This post was edited by red_lover on Sun, Jun 15, 14 at 23:41

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Red-lover,

Where you locate? I am in Hickory, NC. I can't find any thing beside C.H.I., model 5216. But the dealer near by was not friendly though.

Musicgal,
    Clopay seems interesting. I like that look as well.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

Illinois. If the dealer was unfriendly, try a different one. His loss!

• Bungalow14
    9 years ago

We're very happy with our Amarr Carriage House Classica insulated steel doors. Robust construction, flawless finish, very solid. We have one 8x8 and one 8x18.

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

I'm going to second the Amarr Carriage House Classica 3000 series. Our doors are extremely well made. We're in Seattle and have 2- 9'X8' doors and 1- 16'X9' door with openers and paid around $6K. Ours are factory painted.

• RondaJS
    9 years ago

Hi Houses14...I am in the Hickory area also. If you have not already spoken to them, you may find ballarddoors.com helpful. They are Clopay dealers and their showroom is in Conover. Although I did not end up using them, they were very helpful and informative. It is a family run business.

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Much appreciated for your inputs!

RondaJS,

Was there a reason you did not use Clopay?

Thanks

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

NWHoart,

they quoted me for steel - insulated-steel back $6900 for 1 18 x 8, and 1 9x 8. I think it is too high. I think I am going to another builder. Because this builder estimates everything is high and his subs were not honest as he claimed they are.

This post was edited by houses14 on Thu, Jun 19, 14 at 16:03

• NWHobart
    9 years ago

We have the Vinyl backed in our garage in our current house and would never do that again. We're not a rowdy family but if a kids bike bumps into it in the closed position it dents the vinyl and looks terrible. We also went with the factory finish color as well. In our current home we ordered white and had our painter paint them. When the garage doors open, you can see the white between the panels as it lifts with the garage door opener. Not that big of a deal but something to think about. Here's a pic of ours, there a little dusty as we were moving dirt around the property this day, but you get the idea.

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Very nice NWHoart!

That is what I have been look for. But the problem is my garage is arch, and I do not like the glass cut off. And if move down then that would be too low.

• RondaJS
    9 years ago

Hi, houses14....For me, it all come down to costs and to the fact that my current home will not be my forever home. The Ballard Doors/Clopay quote for insulated steel doors was about $800 higher than the Overhead Doors quote and their R-value for those doors was actually lower and provided fewer decorative options. If I were going to live in this house forever and if I were going with the Carriage House quality doors, I likely would have gone with Ballard/Clopay. From OHD, I got two Thermacore Model 296 9 x 7 doors, 20-year warranty, 9.31 R value for $1390, which was my budget for the doors.