Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Basement construction costs

Posted by mfowler423 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 18, 12 at 7:14

I am wondering if people could share their construction costs associated witn an unfinished basement. I know this will vary but I am just curious before getting into the building process of how much adding a basement will run. Again I know this cost will vary but need to have something in mind. Our basment area will be about 1100 square feet unfinished - walkout

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Basement construction costs

Around here (Upstate SC) we were told to estimate around $50/sq ft for our planned unfinished walk-out.

o

We are doing a partial basement in Califoria where it isn't typical. The price we were given was to put the 20x20 space in the basement it would increase our cost by $11,000, whereas putting it above grade would be $26,000.

o

Upstate SC here too. Basement is walkout around 1,800 sq ft, we spent about $20,000 more on the poured walls and framing. Probably $7,000 on windows and doors. And a couple hundred dollars on insulating the ceiling.

o

We are buying this time but we just got the appraisal back, the appraiser included building costs to replace based on 3 local contractors prices. Ours was quoted at about $50 sq ft.

o

NC - was more like $25 a sqft.

But, you also have to say what is the comparison. If the lot "wants" a walkout and you do a tall crawl instead, the "cost" will be much less.

I think our total basement costs were less than $50k for 2000 sqft with poured 10 ft ceilings and open web floor trusses for ductwork. Now that didn't count the siding on the back wall or the extra brick on the sides. But tall crawl would have had those costs anyway.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here