Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
houses14

Electrical walk-thru Not needed

houses14
9 years ago

I have a quote from my electrician in reasonable price and covers all things before I requested. He is good I could tell (he is also doing the house across mine and just about to âÂÂ).
GC's one costs $7000 more and less works.

My electrician says I do not needed to be with him at rough-in. He will placed blue boxes first, and whenever I stop by could check to see if they need to be relocate then he would.
My going to build home has 4300SF heated + 2048SF unfinished basement with 1 finished full bath + 3-car garage.
Therefore, his option is good as I am too busy at work.
Anything else I need to know before go forward with him?

GC's asks for his name and I did not give out yet (I think he was trying to get 50% commission as grading guy who I handed to him. That is corrected! my grading guy very cheap, GC took advantage of that. I am acted as being dumb in order for him building my house with quality)

Comments (14)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Interesting approach; how's it working so far? You don't need to stay in character when talking to us.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Tue, Jun 10, 14 at 14:27

• millworkman
    9 years ago

lol, houses14 what?

• renovator8
    9 years ago

confuse and conquer ... why didn't I think of that?

• musicgal
    9 years ago

houses14- you seem to write with an accent. Always, always, always walk through. Even when you think you don't need to, make the time. Some people may think your situation is laughable, but that is why the forum is here... to help people. It is not here for certain persons to laud their supposed superiority over others and belittle them. So, please make the time to get another opinion on your electrical situation. Best wishes.

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh. I am so sorry for confusing! I tried to edit the subject but unable to.

I was trying to ask all you here what that electrician said is correct or not?

Thank You!

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

What the Elec. is attempting to convey, filtered through your presenting it, is that he'll do the basic code compliant requirements and give you the opportunity to add, for your convenience.

Afford yourself the opportunity, now.

Later, can be expensive.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I would definitely do a walk thru with the electrician as communication is essential when getting the job done right. He can point out things along the way that you may not notice on your own and vice versa. And any questions that come up from either of you can be answered on the spot.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

It's absolutely essential to have an electrical plan that is beyond a "basic" install in a home that large. You can very easily spend more than 7K in upgrades that are on an original plan, vs. someone quoting a basic install. You wouldn't be comparing apples to apples at all in that case. You would also be paying a lot to get right back where you started from with the original electrician. And then some.

You also need to be there for the rough in, because electrical isn't something that's easy to go back and add later. You may have very different expectations that are not actually borne out by "your" electrician's install plan.

• Tom9951
    9 years ago

I think that its okay if he sets boxes and does not pull wire without you there. This gives you the opportunity to go through and make adjustments easily. We did it this way, and it is quite simple to move an unwired box. Once he starts to pull wire, things get more complicated (=more expensive) to make changes.
    Even after things are wired it is still not the end of the world to make changes before sheet rock goes up.
    Also "code" is minimum, you will likely want more if your house is that size.

• chicagoans
    9 years ago

I wonder if it would help to find someone with experience in lighting design. A friend of mine is a designer with a certificate in lighting. When we speak about lighting (ambient, task, etc.) I start to realize how much I don't know. And good lighting can make a big difference. A few hundred dollars for someone to review your electrical plan and do the walk through with you could be money well spent. (OK I'm guessing on what the cost would be, but I think it would just take a few hours of their time.)

In addition to lighting, you'll want to pay attention to where light switches are. Are they handy when entering and leaving a room? How about when the room has multiple entrances? Do you have 3 way switches? Dimmers where you want them? Outlets where you need them, e.g. for TVs hung on the wall or on built ins? Under cabinet lighting in the kitchen? Outlets on backsplash or plugmold under cabinets? Does your kitchen have an island and if so, outlets on it? Outlets in pantry? Charging station somewhere? Probably many more considerations I haven't thought of. There may be threads on this forum with good questions to ask.

Maybe you have planned for all this, but even so, being at the walk through would make sure that everything you want is in place.

• LE
    9 years ago

I'm confused. Isn't the electrician given a plan with every location and item specified? We had a detailed one and still did a walk thru with GC to hear his suggestions and fine-tune the details. I would never leave those decisions to someone else.

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Much appreciated for all insight!

Lori, Yes he pointed out lightings but not switches. I may have to ask him that as well.

• Tom9951
    9 years ago

I think that its okay if he sets boxes and does not pull wire without you there. This gives you the opportunity to go through and make adjustments easily. We did it this way, and it is quite simple to move an unwired box. Once he starts to pull wire, things get more complicated (=more expensive) to make changes.
    Even after things are wired it is still not the end of the world to make changes before sheet rock goes up.
    Also "code" is minimum, you will likely want more if your house is that size.

• houses14
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much Chicagoans and Tom9951!

Tom995,

That may save my life :-)

He was impressed me when first met with electrical plan for my home unlike GC's electrician too general with blind quote.

He covered all from exterior to inside the house. I do not think what could be more.

Sponsored
Prime Custom Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars43 Reviews
DC Metro's Award Winning Custom Design, Build, and Remodeling Company