Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
precast wall finishing

Posted by guitarman502 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 30, 14 at 2:31

Ok, so we did a precast wall basement and the original plan was to stack stone the walls but budget dictated that it be done at a later date.

Has anyone "finished" their precast walls other than stone cover-up? I've considered acid staining the concrete but that does not cover the silicon seems.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: precast wall finishing

furring strips and sheet rock?

o

I mean on the outside sorry. I'm going to sheet rock the inside.

o

I finished a bunch of concrete retaining walls with Master Wall Finish Coat texture. You may need to go over the silicone seams with some Master Wall Base Coat and a 4" strip of fiberglass mesh imbedded in the base coat but if your precast walls are clean and fairly smooth the "Coarse" texture should cover the wall nicely.
The finish is really very easy to do yourself and there are a bunch of videos on youtube showing how to apply.
If you were applying this to the exterior of a home then I wouldn't recommend a DIY job but applying to concrete is a piece of cake and the learning curve is very short and DIY application saves a bunch of money.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Wall

o

Our whole house is precast concrete. We just had it painted with elastomeric paint. The first coat had some texture to it, the second did not.

o

I'll look into both of those. The texture is course and doesn't look "terrible" leaving it the standard grey, but the seams are a beige color and would like it all one color and something different to give it a more finished look. Do you all have pictures by chance?

o

Oh...

Not precast but our foundation wall in the back wasn't attractive, so I had a mason come who knocked all the nubs off and then parged the wall with dyed concrete for an interesting effect.

o

That looks really good. I thought about using an acid stain on the concrete but the problem with that is the silicone seams.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here