Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour

Posted by Momto3kiddos (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 12, 13 at 2:27

Hi all! I thought I would post some pics while the house still looks pristine. I doubt it will look polished for very long once we move our stuff in. As long as it has taken me to pack, it will take me all summer to unpack. We built our forever home with the help of my dad, an experienced custom home builder, on the farm my husband grew up on. We designed the floorplans ourselves, then summerfield generously helped us tweak it. The architect basically drew up what we handed him with very few changes. We did several things to improve the energy efficiency of our home since we will be here for the long haul including geothermal hvac, conditioned crawl space, spray foam insulation, radiant barrier, and all can lights are led. We have not persued energy star even though we are compliant due to the training involved, but we may look to do that after we get settled. We did, however, use an energy rater who performed a blower door test and hers certificate. Our hers score is 53... I think that's pretty good for a 5000 sq ft one story home. I am actually looking forward to our first few power bills. :). I doubt I will be online for the next week between moving and waiting for the phone company to install dsl service next week, but I will be happy to answer questions once I am back online. Thanks to all of you who offered feedback on our plans, kitchen layout, insulation questions, flooring challenges, etc. I could not have done this without the help of the fabulous folks on GW!
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Side entrance
Kitchen... Large lights to be switched with smaller ones soon
Foyer
Dining... Paint is martha Stewart plumage, and it is not bright like the pic shows, but more of a deep turqouise. I took all these pics with my ipad, perhaps that's the problem
Mudroom/side porch door
Mudroom cubbies and drop counter
Mudroom bath
Office
Powder room
Master bedroom and bath
One of the girls rooms
Sons room
Game room
Screen porch with ezebreeze enclosure
Patio
Back hall
Laundry room

Thanks for being there for me and with me through the process!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: House complete... Moving Friday... Photo tour

Your home is just lovely. Love the DR colors and the deco tile in the girls' bath. Don't know how son rates to get that beautiful window in his room....if that were our house, there'd have been a battle over that for sure!

Your narrative reminds me so much of our situation...moving home to the place DH grew up on, forever house, foam insulation, geothermal, but not energy star, looking forward to that first energy bill....a lot of parallels there. So I know you will enjoy your new home as much as we are enjoying ours. Congratulations.

o

Your new home is just beautiful. I just love the crystal chandelier in the dining room.

Congratulations, and may you have many happy years in it!

o

Its a beautiful home inside & out. I know you will love it. I love your color scheme too - job well done. :)

o

Just beautiful! Congratulations!

o

Everything is beautiful! Had to scroll through fast but will enjoy a more relaxed look this afternoon - with a cup of coffee.

o

Your finishes are tremendous. Congrats!

o

Just beautiful. Love the window over the tub in master bath!

o

Fantastic! I love a well-thought family farm house!

(Do you have the plans posted somewhere? I love to compare the "finished" pics with what was drawn on the 2d.)

You are going to so enjoy this!

o

You have a beautiful house. All the finishes and details are great. I love your master bathroom window over the tub and the whole dinning room.

Can you share the width of the foyer and the back hallway. The dimensions of the front door and the side lights would be great if you have them.

o

Taking a break from packing! Thanks you guys for the wonderful compliments. Here is a link to the last time I posted plans. There are only a few changes in sons bath, mudroom bath and butlers pantry area, otherwise, it is exactly the same. The foyer is 7' wide x 14' long. The back hall is 4' wide. The front door is 3'x8' with 14" sidelites. I think the elliptical height is 14" tall, too.

The story behind the window over the tub is quite humorous! My DH wanted a transom window in there with the bottom at least 6' high, so no one would see him in the bathroom on this 90acre farm we live on. :). I also did not want to have to worry about window treatments in the bath, but thought the transom would not let in enough light. We compromised with a larger decorative window set at 5'. No one should see either of us, even if they are trespassing. That window faces north, so there is never any direct sun, but the extra light was badly needed. We are all satisfied!

o

Here is the link to floorplans...

Here is a link that might be useful: Floorplan post

o

Wonderful! I cannot wait to be where you are. :) Your house is beautiful!

o

Thanks for the details on the foyer and the hallway. We will have a hallway which will be 4 feet so it is good to see how it looks.

o

Great job! Thanks for he finished update! I love your cubbies and drop counter area.

o

Very nicely done. As pbx noted above, the finish work appears top notch. Congrats!!

o

Ah, yes! I remember your laundry room discussion. Which direction did they end up venting?

Oh, I just love to see these floorplans come together. Thanks for re-sharing!

o

Looks great! Congratulations!

o

love it! you must be so proud!!

o

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Absolutely beautiful! It must be sooooo great to be at this stage of your journey! I can't wait to get there too (someday)!

o

What flooring did you use? The wood floors?

Love the vivid teal in the dining room :)

o

The house looks gorgeous!

I'm curious as to what brick you used? It's very similar to what we plan to use.

o

Brick is General Shale Pheonix. Our house is far from the road, and all the color variation really helps give it more visual interest with the distance.
Floors are 3 1/4 inch white oak character grade 2, site finished with natural stain and satin poly.

o

You're house is really pretty. Love the floor plan too! I really love the kids side of the house and the placement of the laundry room. Hope you don't mind me borrowing some aspects of it.

o

ooohhh... I'm so sad!! I can't see the photos because it says you've exceeded your bandwidth! I wanna see! I wanna see!!

o

Photos are still missing.

o

Everyone should stop using photobucket if they're going to be using bait-and-switch tricks like this. Try imgur.com, it's free and as far as I know, they don't ever remove the images.

Here is a link that might be useful: imgur.com

o

Wow! Well done.

o

How pretty! I have to ask what brand windows you used? They look fantastic!

o

I apologize in advance for my brevity... We are in the midst of preparing our home for display for a Christmas Tour of Homes to benefit the scholarship fund at our local Woman's club. Thanks for the wonderful feedback! The windows are plygem pro 400 if I remember correctly.

o

Beautiful! And we have similar tastes. Almost all of your light fixtures are on my wish list! :)

o

Absolutely gorgeous! I love the dining room color. I've never been a fan of red dining rooms and that blue is stunning!

o

I thought you may like to see a couple of moved in and almost decorated for Christmas photos.... Living room and dining room.

Sorry for the boxes, random flowers on the floor! There will be some fresh magnolia leaves in the center of the table as the season grows nearer!

o

Mom to 3 - Love your ceiling!
Where are your table lamps plugged in? Do you have electrical outlets in your floors? We are currently working on our electric plan for our under construction house and I'm not sure what to do about some of the lighting…. specifically the table lamps next to the couches. We have a very open living area with not a lot of wall space.

o

I love the silhouette plates hung in the dining room - did you make them?

o

Your home is beautiful. Do you mind sharing who makes your foyer light? Thanks!

o

Your home is just beautiful in every way! You have great taste in furnishings, colors etc....I really like your large laundry room...the brick exterior is just beautiful...something we don't see much of these days! It looks beautiful and ready for the holidays!

Enjoy your new home!!!
Pam

o

How exciting! What are the dimensions of your island? I think ours might be similar.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here