Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimless07

How often is your builder in contact with you?

Aims
9 years ago

We haven't done this before so I was curious about the communication between the homebuilder and the homeowner. Does your builder contact you or do you reach out and contact them and how often?

Comments (9)

• jdez
    9 years ago

Our builder is a terrible communicator. We have to call him if we don't catch him onsite. Lately, I have had to call him everyday and push for them to work on our house because he tends to put us off everytime he gets a little bit busy with other jobs. It is definitely a pain but he is a friend and he's one of the best builders in the area. I also like to know what's going on everyday so when I don't know, I call him and ask him. One time he tried to ignore me and didn't answer his phone all day. Let me just say that when I finally got in touch with him the next day, I was not very nice and he now makes sure to answer his phone or call me back as soon as he can. ;)

• guitarman502
    9 years ago

Throughout the framing and electrical and plumbing I stayed in contact with my builder on an almost daily basis. I was on - site every chance I got for extended periods watching every aspect of the build. Now that we are in the dry-wall/siding/deck building phase there isn't much for us to communicate about (all interior doors are framed how I want with swing and pocket doors where I want them), outlets are where I want them, plumbing where I want it, etc. They don't always work on my house as much as I want them too, but it just comes with the territory. He always answers when I call or text him and lots and lots of e-mails. I demand a lot of attention from my builder but so far he has come through for me.

With most of the materials purchased with the exception of finishing materials (faucets, etc) it's nice to get a month break from picking stuff out before the final purchasing rush.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Standing meeting every Monday, then as needed through the week via text/e-mail.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

As often as I call him:-)

• gold566
    9 years ago

We have just started our build and are in contact all the time. They call us and email us several times a week and they are always very responsive to our questions and concerns whether by phone or by email. Of course we are just starting so may still be in the honeymoon phase! But so far so good!

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

frequent contact. During some periods, multiple times a day. Email being the preferred method of contact. Most of the contact is with the project manager, but a good chunk with our interior design staff member (who helped us make all our selections in the right order with overall design in mind- a real great addition to this process!) Earlier on when I was working on cabinetry I had endless numbers of emails with the cabinet design staff.

• zippity1
    9 years ago

we usually have a conversation with our builder every day sometimes on weekends too (he's almost always working)
    if he's not going to be around for a day or so he'll text us to let us know..
    he is a control freak and watches his subs very carefully and doesn't hesitate to have them "redo" even minor glitches
    you'd think subs would hesitate to work for him because he's so picky,
    instead they seem to be proud to be connected to his builds

• caben15
    9 years ago

typically daily via email. the site supervisor usually contacts me with Q&A. I go up a couple of times per week after work to review progress. they are on the job m-f, and often saturdays as well.

• tulips33
    9 years ago

We are within a month of finishing and our communications sometimes it a lot and sometimes we don't communicate for a few days, it just depends on what it going on. We go over and check things out at least once a day and if we notice a problem, we text our builder and he responds pretty soon. We started in Jan and b/c of all the rain, snow and ice we had we had tons of delays. Then everyone was behind so when it seemed like we should be able to get some work done and it wasn't happening (we suspected b/c of work being done on his other houses) we bugged him a little. We kept telling him that our interest rate was expiring a certain day and we were worried about the problems it would cause if we missed it. I don't think we were annoying but just enough so he could understand the situation we would be in if things didn't get going. But every since then it's been great, they are really moving fast and we don't feel like we are being ignored and I don't think we are annoying :) but we are working with a great builder who really cares that things are done right and to our satisfaction.