Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bmh4796

material for garage interior walls?

bridget helm
10 years ago

i want avoid sheetrock because it gets so busted and dirty from the kids and their bikes etc. we have hardiplank right now and I love it, but isn't that a good bit more in price than sheetrock?

any suggestions? someone mentioned reverse plywood and A11. i'm probably getting those names wrong. i forgot the exact words.

Comments (11)

• flgargoyle
    10 years ago

You're thinking of T1-11 plywood, which would be a good choice. Almost everything costs more than sheetrock. OSB would work, but it's pretty ugly. I've used metal siding/roofing material over existing sheetrock; an added benefit is that magnets stick to it, which is handy in a workshop. You can probably get away with using a more durable material 4' high, rather than all the way up. If the kids are that rough, maybe it's time they learned to patch sheetrock :).

• bus_driver
    10 years ago

For attached garages, your building code may require specific fire resistance properties. Teaching children is part of good parenting.

• southerncanuck
    10 years ago

It's drywall around here if attached to the house because of the fire rating issue as bus driver notes.

Best to check building codes. Always.

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

In our first house, the Sheetrock just looked dirty all the time. They only busted through it once by accidentally smashing their bike handle bar into the wall. At that time they were really young. In the house we are in now, we have a carport (2 walls rather than 4) and i chose hardiplank and i love it because its so maintenance free and always look like new.

But maybe im over thinking it. It's been 8 years since the Sheetrock garage. Maybe it's not as "bad" as i remember.

What is OSB?

Maybe ill Sheetrock the top and do the bottom in t-1 or OSB?

I will ask about code before final decision

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Drywall is usually required on the garage side of the wall shared with the house and in the case of a living space above the garage, drywall on the garage ceiling and on any structural element that supports the living space. However, a combustible material can be added over the drywall.

5/8 drywall or two layers of 1/2 might be tough enough and cheap enough.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

We have inexpensive beadboard trim panels halfway up the wall for the reasons you state - lower part of the wall tends to get banged up with out of control scooters or bikes :). It has really helped!

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The garage is attached to the back porch and the main part of the house, so if there is a code about attached garages, i wonder if we even qualify as attached??

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

Sure looks attached on those plans.

A layer of drywall has been used between houses and garages for a very long time as an 'expedient' (if not an actual) firewall.

You can put additional material (like headboard) on the drywall to protect it, but a layer of bead-board (or thin wood or plywood) may not satisfy the AHJ.

Even the attic space of garages is normally required to be isolated from the attic space of an attached house.

You will just have to excuse the AHJ, they are trying to keep you alive in case your car starts a fire in your garage, or is left running for more tan a few minutes filling the garage with CO.

This post was edited by brickeyee on Wed, Jun 19, 13 at 13:03

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Yes attached means attached even of it is a breezeway!

• bridget helm
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ok. the silly lady in me wants to not care about fires ;)

just kidding. i think i'll go ahead with the drywall and ask my husband to add bead board to the bottom later on. most likely, it will probably never happen.

the builder will flip if I start asking for the garage to have beaded board, with good reason--- we are trying to stay in our original budget.