Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teach2007

When I close my eyes, I see brick!!! Help!!

teach2007
16 years ago

After hours of driving through neighborhoods and countless calls to the brick companies, I still have not found a brick that I REALLY LOVE!!! I have come to you for help with this daunting task!! Does anyone know of a red brick that is more burgundy than orange that would look good with khaki siding??? I want some variation in color, but not so much speckled. I LOVE Williamsport from Acme, but OF COURSE it is discontinued. Has anyone used Menewa from Acme? I have been looking at mostly Acme bricks because that is the main brick company here. Please help!! Pictures would be GREAT!!!

Comments (13)

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

Ours is seneca blend from general shale. It's red and doesn't have any of the orange undertones that I have seen in other "red" brick homes. It might be too speckled for your taste and I was worried about that at first also. But now that it's on the entire house it gives us the exact look we were going for.

Before the white siding went up I thought it looked nice with tan wood that was there. This photo shows the middle peak without the white trim.

• mmqlsmom
    16 years ago

We used Aztec Blend from Boral. It may be more of an "antiqued" look than you are after, though. I was not sure if I was going to like it, but it is going up right now and looks great.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    16 years ago

Teach2007, brick is such a major decision. And, it must be made so early in the building process. I love Boral Wrenfield wood mold brick with cream colored stucco, but it ALSO has been discontinued.
    mmqlsmom, Would you mind posting a photo of Aztec Blend as your bricking progresses? That is the main ones we're considering at this point, but no one in my area has used it.
    Charliedawg, your brick is beautiful with the white trim!

• mmqlsmom
    16 years ago

Yes, I will try. We're only doing carport columns and the chimney. It is too wet for them to work today.

• soonerhouse2007
    16 years ago

I completely understand about your brick search. I searched for months, drove to other towns, creeped around on the county assessor site looking at pictures, and it about drove me nuts! One day my husband and I drove by some new houses going up at the end of our block and he simply said.."I like that one, order it". I looked at a house I had seen everyday for several months and actually liked it too!! We chose Brookhaven by Acme which looks NOTHING like the pictures on the Acme website. It is very earth tone and rough in texture. The other one that I really like from Acme is Autumn Lane, which has more reds, burgundy, etc in it. Again, it does not look anything like what you see on the Acme website, so please do not take those images seriously. The homeowner has used a khaki trim color with the Autumn Lane and it looks very, very nice. I hope this helps. Good luck!!!

• mollymcb
    16 years ago

Charliedawg, I don't know if you remember our discussion about brick a month or so ago. I mentioned to you that we are using "Virginia Highlands" by General Shale and I thought it looked very similar to the color of yours. They started our brick install yesterday and I noticed that it has the "wormy" look which my sample did not have. I pulled up your "Seneca" brick on the GS website and it looks EXACTLY like our brick! I bet it IS the same, just regional name difference! I hope so, b/c I really LOVE your brick. It is the exact color we are going for, and I think it will look great with the grey stacked stone we are pairing with it. I wish I knew how to post pics on here! Hopefully, I'll figure out soon!

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

Hey Molly, I do remember that.:) I bet it is the same. The general shale website makes you put in county and state for the bricks. I bet it is just a regional name difference like you said.

I absolutely love our brick and if you remember I thought I was going to hate it LOL. I have rec'd so many compliments on it from family and friends.

You just gotta learn how to post photos. It's fun and addictive. It's really easy if you set up free photobucket.com acct. You just copy and paste. Let me know if you need any help and I can walk you thru it 'cause I'm just dying to see your brick.

• mmqlsmom
    16 years ago

Here is my Boral Aztec Blend-

http://lh5.google.com/shanatx/RoKtF1hvPpI/AAAAAAAAAFI/I1-hsCITTO4/s144/brickoncarport2.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful:

• soonerhouse2007
    16 years ago

Here is a picture of the Brookhaven by Acme Brick that we are using. I don't think it has the burgundy that you are looking for, but I know when I was picking out brick any/all pictures were helpful. I will try to get a pic of the Autumn Lane brick as soon as I can.

• emmachas_gw Shaffer
    16 years ago

mmqlsmom, Thanks for posting a picture of your Aztec Blend chimney! A beautiful choice, especially with the wall color you selected.

• mmqlsmom
    16 years ago

I gotta tell ya, now that they have washed the mortar off (some of it ran because of the rain), it looks less pink and antiqued. I need to get another picture of it for you. I'll try tomorrow.

• melanienl
    8 years ago

Hi Molly, I know this is an old post but I want to do the Seneca blend brick with grey stone also. My husband wants to see someones house with that combo but we can't find anyone. Would you be able to post a picture of your house? It would be appreciated.