Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mebke33

Flashing Question

mebke33
10 years ago

Our flashing on our new build was done very poorly. We have already had water in our walls and our house was completed just 3 months ago. The flashing in question is above a stone sill and below hardie plank siding. They used thin trim coil and over bent it so that it was sloping back towards the house and does not rest on the sill. They came to fix it once and simply cut of the old flashing at the bend and slid the new flashing up behind behind the siding. They then put face nails through the siding to hold the flashing in place. With this fix the vertical portion of the siding doesn't even extend to the corners of the walls behind the corner trim pieces. These results were not any better than the first go around. They are now coming back for another fix. Unfortunately, they have already been paid. I have several questions for anyone knowledgeable.
1) The vertical portion of the flashing that is behind the hardie siding was simply nailed to the tyvec/wall. Should a horizontal cut have been made in the tyvec and the vertical portion of the flashing tucked up under to facilitate a continuous drainage plain. I've had conflicting opinions on this.
2) They are using very thin, flimsy trim coil. I've been told the flashing should be minimum 24 gauge. Is this correct?
3) For this 2nd attempt at fixing the flashing they are going to remove the bottom 2 rows of siding. They claim that the only way to reattach it is with face nails. Should we accept this? If the repairs are due to their poor installation in the first place is it reasonable to expect them to remove all the siding so it can be re-installed with blind nails? I don't think I should have to look at face nails on my new house because they screwed up.

This has been extremely frustrating and I would appreciate any advice or help I can get.

Here are some pictures of how the siding originally looked:

Here are some pictures after the original flashing was cut out and new flashing was slipped under the siding and face nailed in place.

The above pic shows how the flashing doesn't go behind the corner trim. The piece in front of the corner trim just lays on the sill.

The fact that they considered this to be fixed has me worried that they are not even capable of doing the job properly.

This post was edited by mebke33 on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 0:31

Comments (7)

• worthy
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

We've seen these pics before at GW.

Below is a diagram of "best practices" from James Hardie. I have used the same procedure with vertical b&b Cape Code wood siding and no problems for six years so far. It's not the weight of the flashing that is the problem, but the inadequate slope and failure to at least run to the edge of the stone. What we can't see can also be a problem: the flashing should be under the WRB , which should hang over the flashing. That way, any water runs over the ledge.

Your photos at the corners indicate that at least some of the flashing was added after the siding was installed.

This post was edited by worthy on Sun, Jun 23, 13 at 10:34

• millworkman
    10 years ago

If they screwed that up and the consequent repairs you should look very closely at his other work and make certain the rest of the flashing is shedding water properly. Also make certain the Hardie is installed properly now before it becomes an issue as JH is very precise and god forbid it you need to make a warranty claim and it is not installed 100% to their instructions.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Guess he did not like the answers than and hoped they would change

• FmrQuahog
    10 years ago

this is some really odd deja vu

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

I guess we will see this post again in August! :)

• mebke33
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Sorry you feel I'm wasting your time but this isn't the same questions I posed previously. I previously asked about best installation practices and now I'm looking for advice on how to go about having the poor work repaired. I know it was a long post but I'll list the questions I asked again.

1) The vertical portion of the flashing that is behind the hardie siding was simply nailed to the tyvec/wall. Should a horizontal cut be made in the tyvec and the vertical portion of the flashing tucked up under to facilitate a continuous drainage plain. I've had conflicting opinions on this. Several contractors say this is the best way to install the flashing and others say they wouldn't want to cut the tyvec.
    2) They are using very thin, flimsy trim coil. I've been told the flashing should be minimum 24 gauge. Is this correct?
    3) For this 2nd attempt at fixing the flashing they are going to remove the bottom 2 rows of siding. They claim that the only way to reattach it is with face nails. Should we accept this? If the repairs are due to their poor installation in the first place is it reasonable to expect them to remove all the siding so it can be re-installed with blind nails? I don't think I should have to look at face nails on my new house because they screwed up.

Unfortunately, I don't have detail drawings. However, I'm still hoping for some advice on what our expectations in getting this situation resolved should be. Thanks for all of your help.