Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herewegoagain_gw

William Poole Design- Calabash Cottage- Help Please! (PART 2)

Herewegoagain
9 years ago

Well..... we reached 150 entries for Calabash Cottage, so I'm starting part 2.

Bryan-

Wow!! You responded quickly! Thank you so much! I am very visual and seeing the drawing on paper isn't very helpful for me. But, seeing the real deal helps A LOT:) You have a great "sit and visit" spot! I know you are enjoying it.

Comments (682)

• Amy McCartney
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

No. I called the William Poole Design company and they said there was no list to buy.

• jacanny
    3 years ago

This is a plan available through William Poole directly or through other on-line companies. I built 2 William Poole plans and did not get a materials list with either. Both were significantly modified. My builder had a good idea of the supplies by using the plans and knowledge of our local building code, but to fine tune it, he took the plans to his building supply company who helped him build the supply list.

• Amy McCartney
    3 years ago

My husband is acting as the GM and the county in which we live has so many regulations, inspections and codes. I have a local wood company putting the lumber package together, but again, the plans are so vague that it's giving them problems. Also, because of Covid 19 everyone is behind. So frustrating.

• K Humphrey
    3 years ago

@Amy McCartney, we did not get our plans from William Poole directly, but from a house plan site online. That is the same place we got the materials list from.

• Amy McCartney
    3 years ago

What company did you buy the plans from? If you don't mind me asking.

• hbikowski
    3 years ago

We are just beginning the process. All of your comments and ideas have been very helpful.

• Jonathan Dye
    3 years ago

Foundation is complete!

• K Humphrey
    3 years ago

Does anyone think I’d be able to sell our plans and materials list on Houzz? Unfortunately, we are having to change our plan, but have found one very similar.

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

Getting closer. Insulation going in now with drywall arriving Thursday.

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

I wanted to post a few pictures, we are having this house built also. We have 1 month to go. These are earlier pictures so I am about ready to upload a few more since the outside is all completed and the inside is getting the tile work and layed. Carole Desmond

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

More pictures.

• Jonathan Dye
    3 years ago

Ours is coming along! 😁

• Derek Frederick
    3 years ago

Where in the world have you guys install the HVAC? We're building the Hatteras plan and are struggling on where to put the HVAC. Comments appreciated!

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

right hand side of house. I attached a picture but it does not look like it saved it.

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

it blends into the house

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

indoor units in basement. We can post pics if helpful. Outdoor units on same side of house as Carole.

• jacanny
    3 years ago

Master bath side

• Derek Frederick
    3 years ago

We opted out of the basement and went with the bonus room. We love the floor plan but it just doesn't leave a good place for a furnace.

• Katey Penton
    3 years ago

Upstairs unit is in the attic space next to what would have been open ceiling looking down into the living room, but we closed off the ceiling for a bonus/play room upstairs. Access To unit is through that bonus room. Downstairs unit is below the house in the crawl space.

• Jessica Moose
    3 years ago

@Carole Desmond We are currently looking to build this home on a walkout basement, so looking to do something similar to what you did with eliminating the 2nd floor. Would you mind sharing with me what you did to change up and take away the 2nd floor? Thank you!

• HU-855889956
    3 years ago

• HU-855889956
    3 years ago

I have been building for the last year in a half and made minor changes to the plans for code.

• HU-855889956
    3 years ago

• HU-855889956
    3 years ago

• Jonathan Dye
    3 years ago

Looking good. We are finishing ours up now.

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

For Jessica Moose, what we did was where the steps were suppose to be we made a big storage area with door. It was long and narrow and as wide as what steps are normally.

• Jay Obrien
    3 years ago

Walkout with 2nd floor remaining for visual reference...

• Carrie Love
    3 years ago

Siding started on our Calabash Cottage this week!!!

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

We were hoping to be in before the end of the year, but COVID delayed completion of cabinets and granite installation, and we have some exterior stone work that won't get done until the Spring.

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

Upstairs - same format on each side for the kids:

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

Main floor living area and kitchen:

• Terri Lashley
    3 years ago

Mudroom (we did not put a room over the garage - went with a basement instead):

• Debra Nicholas
    3 years ago

My husband and I recently moved back to the farm to retire and are early in the process of building this house in reverse - Hatteras - foundation is done. We also made changes. We increased the porch to 10 ft deep and to keep it symmetrical added 3 feet all the way around the house. That gave us extra room to fix the master bathroom/closet issues. the Master closet will be larger and reinforced and will double as a safe room (Mississippi has lots of tornadoes,) the tub will be on the outer wall, added a linen closet and closet for hot water heater. We also closed off the upstairs from the great room - no open ceiling - and will have small sitting room up there. Didn’t need more space, but did this to enhance privacy upstairs as well as heating /cooling simplicity and safety for small grand children.

We kicked out the outside wall of the kitchen one foot onto the side porch to allow Room for double ovens and a stovetop instead of a range. We, as many others have done, made the garage storage room part of the laundry room, as well as deleted the side porch door. In doing this, we were able to add a larger pantry, a water closet to the laundry area, and room for freezer, folding table, and sink.

What are most of you using for outside construction - concrete siding is what we are thinking, but turned which way we aren’t sure - horizontal or vertical. Also, are you adding shutters or leaving the windows as they are? We love the traditional look of brick skirt (we concreted the porches,)white siding, light to medium gray shingle roof , and wood door. Just can’t decide about shutters. This post has been helpful to us so far, and I’m sure will be more so as we go further - thank you all.

• carrieva1
    3 years ago

Getting closer started sheetrock yesterday

• HU-236912534
    3 years ago

We have this home and looking to see what you all did with the space above the garage!

• Katey Penton
    3 years ago

We made the room above the garage into my photography studio with a half bath.

• Katey Penton
    3 years ago

We added a bunch a bunch of windows above the garage for more natural light

• Katey Penton
    3 years ago

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

We turned our room above the garage into a workout room with full bath. Windows on all 3 sides.

• Lauren Williams
    3 years ago

Carole, do you have pictures? All the pictures posted to this page have been so helpful. If anyone else has more pictures you could post, please do!!!

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

Sure, here are a few. Our workout room is decorated as Margaritaville. We are Parrotheads, so bright colors make you smile and want to enjoy the workout.

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

Lauren, we also removed the 2nd floor to our house. Made the garage larger and the storage room larger. Made changes to the master bathroom since we did not want a tub but a large walk-in shower.

• Lauren Williams
    3 years ago

Thank you for sharing! I love the island vibe of your house. Are those Cali Bamboo floors? It looks similar to what we have in our current home, and we were considering using the same floors in the new house.

• Carole Desmond
    3 years ago

Hi, no they are not. We went with vinyl floors in the workout room, since it is heavy duty and will not fad, since we are not putting any window treatments up. Plus we have animals running around. Good luck with you home. Not a white wall in our house, it is very colorful and beachy.

• Kerin Hume
    8 months ago

So excited that it's coming together!!! Loved looking through all of these photos for ideas

• HU-236912534
    8 months ago

We are in the process of building, this will be the 2nd house we have built with this plan! We love it so much.

• Kerin Hume
    7 months ago

Getting closer to being done!!

The view from upstairs is just beautiful with the windows we added

• Bryan
    5 months ago

Would anyone be willing to share a PDF of the plans for the Calabash Cottage? I've designed a house based off of the Calabash Cottage but it really has little to no similarities on the interior. A set of plans to go over with my architect would be hugely beneficial to make sure I get the exterior proportions right. Thanks to anyone in advance! This thread has been extremely helpful!

Feel free to email me at bhmcalex@gmail.com

• HU-236912534
    5 months ago
    last modified: 5 months ago

Should be done in a couple of months! ❤️