Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kam76

Smooth walls

kam76
10 years ago

So I tried to find this info in other threads and I am just trying to make sure I have it right. I live in the Pacific NW and I want smooth walls. Would my builder just be putting up drywall then and mudding it for the seams. screws, etc. and then it is just primed and painted? Or is there some additional mud that is put on the whole surface of the drywall. I know we can't afford real plaster (though love the look) and I was reading that you needed blue board which would be hard to get out here never mind someone to install it. I have had orange peel walls or knockdown my whole life so this smooth finish thing is a mystery to me.

Comments (12)

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

You are going to find it rather difficult, I think, to find someone qualified to do a good job with smooth walls here in the PNW. You'll need to choose your drywall sub very carefully...

• allison0704
    10 years ago

Sheetrock walls with smooth/paint finish are the norm in our area. Here's a good article spelling out the differences.

I agree with the above comment - find a good drywall sub. That will make ALL the difference.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article

• graywings123
    10 years ago

To answer your question, no, the sheets of drywall are not skimcoated with drywall compound. Only the seams and screws will be covered.

• LOTO
    10 years ago

The drywall hanging crew should finish my home today and then the finish crew comes in tomorrow. I specified a Level 5 finish/smooth walls that is what I expect.
    Drywall installation is not too extravagant in my area and the upcharge was not that bad.

Here is a link that might be useful: 5 Levels Of Finish

• _henry Henry
    10 years ago

Ask your builder for a level 5 finish. However that will not correct for a poorly built wall, so to get the full benefit the studs need to be straight and the walls built true.

If you have down lights close to the walls a level 5 finish is essential if you do not want to see seams and have an even wash of light. I am sure there are skilled subs in the PNW.

This post was edited by -henry on Mon, May 27, 13 at 15:04

• worthy
    10 years ago

A Level 4 finish is satisfactory for most homeowners. In fact, it's the standard here even into multi-million dollar new homes. I've only found it necessary to be improved in difficult lighting areas or where sheen paints are used. So many walls and ceilings in high end homes are covered in wainscotting, panelling, plaster, faux or real stone and other mouldings, fabrics and wood that Level 5 or plaster would be a pointless expenditure.

The biggest problem with keeping a wall smooth are nail/screw pops that show up as the framing lumber dries over several seasons. So pay attention to the framing. And always have the drywalling contractor inspect the framing before you sign off on the framing job.

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

:To answer your question, no, the sheets of drywall are not skimcoated with drywall compound."

They are for a level 5 finish.

Along with making sure all the studs are in plane (as in leveling every stud to every other stud, often with a portable planer).

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Honest question--
    what good does leveling every stud to every other stud do, if the inspectors require nail plates all over the place (and they stick out)? Every wall with electrical or plumbing here has nail plates which cause a bow in a perfectly plumb/level studded wall.

• millworkman
    10 years ago

Recessed nailing plates.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

"To answer your question, no, the sheets of drywall are not skimcoated with drywall compound. Only the seams and screws will be covered."

Every one of my walls and ceilings are skimcoated with drywall compound.
    Pretty much standard here....

• brickeyee
    10 years ago

"what good does leveling every stud to every other stud do, if the inspectors require nail plates all over the place (and they stick out)? Every wall with electrical or plumbing here has nail plates which cause a bow in a perfectly plumb/level studded wall."

The stud faces are in plane.

The nae if 2x studs for wet walls, and putting the holes for electric cables in the middle of the stud eliminates most protective nail pates.
    Paired with recessed nail plates, you can get a large wail that is just as flat as plaster;