Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boymom23

Would love exterior paint color suggestions, please

boymom23
10 years ago

Hello All - Our build is getting to an exciting stage: the brick is all on ( just basement sides and rear) and now the stone starting going on today. Aside from the porch, the stone covers the center gable of our house. The rest is painted shake siding. I'd love your suggestions of what color paint I should paint shake siding and trim color. *You can see a little bit of the brick on the left side of the photo. It's more limiting in paint color options, in my opinion, than the stone. Would love to see what you suggest that will look good with stone and brick! Many thanks!
*Sorry the pic is at an awkward angle!

Comments (8)

• signal13
    10 years ago

There are literally thousands of colors and shade variations to choose from so it's really comes down to personal taste. We just picked our color on our new construction. We are in a woodsy setting and are big fans of earth tones to blend the house into it's surroundings. We have Hardiplank siding and chose the timberbark color (a Hardiplank color) The sample looked like a taupe brown but once the whole home was painted it looks much darker. Keep that in mind. It's pretty dark but it's growing on us. I'm told it will probably lighten up as time goes on as well. If it were me, I'd try to blend some earth tone shade with your beautiful stone work. Good luck

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, Signal13. Your house looks lovely! I'm off to the paint store to buy a bunch of samples!

• momto3kiddos
    10 years ago

If you are thinking you want to stay in the gray range... Look at SW Intellectual gray with white trim. I love the hardishake. You will need to do a medium toned color for the shake to show really well. Too light or too dark, and the texture will be less noticeable I think.

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Momto3kiddos - It's so funny that you picked that gray! A lot of cabinetry on the inside of the house is actually SW Intellectual Gray. 2 bathrooms and our laundry room! Love the color!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I have a winner: SW Pavestone! It looks really good with the stone. Now to decided on light vs dark trim color and gutter color!

• boymom23
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have to finalize this on Monday. It's funny - now that I've days to look at Pavestone in various lighting, it kind of turns lavender in the shade! Ugh. I think I might go back to SW Intellectual Gray. Anyone used it on the exterior? Or have other suggestions for me? THanks!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

Is SW collonade gray too light for you?

Here is a link that might be useful: collonade gray on SweetReverie's hardishake

• meg524
    8 years ago

Did you end up using intellectual gray? What are your thoughts of it? I'm days away from painting and am still unsure about it.