Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carsonheim_gw

help with placement of bar in family room

carsonheim
9 years ago

Howdy! Hoping y'all can weigh in on a layout issue for me.

In our new home we will have a bar in the family room -- we love to entertain!

I'm concerned about the current size/layout and wondering if we need to rework it or if I'm fretting over nothing.

Here are the options.
Option 1 makes good efficient use of the space. But I wonder if it will be too tight? It is 36" from the back cabinet to the front bar where the sink is. The tightest part of the entry space is 30" There would really only be one person in there at a time, so I'm not tremendously concerned about fitting multiple people. Just wondering if it's enough working space to make cocktails and pour wine...

Option 2 gives a lot more working space in the bar area, and moves the sink out of the peninsula, so more space to shake shake shake those cocktails. But I'm concerned that the bar swinging into the family room would look strange?????

Option 3 provides more working space, more storage, but again, it protrudes into the family room.

Granted, with any of the options, because this is located in a corner of the room, I don't *think* any walking paths would be inhibited by any of the options. Options 2 and 3 also would provide additional cabinet and shelving space.

Oh wise and design-talented GWers, what sayeth ye????

Comments (10)

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

I would do option 1 but put the sink on the cabinet wall. I bartended for years and I would only do the sink (on the peninsula) there if your having to wash glasses while talking to guests or if your using it as an ice basin for bottled beer. If it's shake, shake, shake...your using water only to wash. I'd probably do a small rolling trolley for entertaining. 36" isn't enough to seat more than 1 comfortably so I see this as more of a staging area for drinks and apps.

This post was edited by houseofsticks on Tue, May 6, 14 at 0:00

• illinigirl
    9 years ago

I was also going to suggest getting the sink off of the peninsula. When we designed our bar we thought of how the people at the bar would be in relation to other seating areas of the room, and we wanted them to be able to converse together or have the people at the bar still be able to view the tv. What is your priority for the bar? Is it a separate seating area for you, and how many people do you hope to gather around the bar at one time? How would you like those at the bar to relate to the others in the room?

• mlweaving_Marji
    9 years ago

First of all, I love your floor plan. Meant to say that after looking at your plans on another thread.
    I think the suggestions to figure out how you plan to use the bar before planning it's placement is good. Don't like option 3 at all. I like option 1 the best, and I like the suggestion to get the sink off the peninsula.
    I think option 2 might look odd given that everything else in the room is nice and square, the angle is a bit jarring. It also might interfere with seating arrangement in the rest of the room. Have you done a seating floor plan for your furniture? Where is your TV going?
    As an aside, I want to come to your housewarming party!

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks folks. I really appreciate the input. I, too, thought the optuion 2 would look a little odd, but it gives good working space.

So as far as usage, I don't see this being a place people sit and linger. It's more of a utility space (although I want it to look attractive) So when we have parties or guests for dinner, I might offer to mix up a batch of margaritas or prepare a martini. We might also throw a bunch of beers in the sink with ice so people could grab one themselves.

Here's option 4: Very similar to option 1, only I moved the peninsula forward about 6-8 inches, so the end of it is aligned with the ceiling above (the bridge/hallway on 2nd floor). I increased the counter depth in the back from 18 to 24 and moved the sink over there. I was able to increase the length of the peninsula about 8-10 inches as well, so less cramped seating.

The space between peninsula and counter is still about 3 feet; the narrowest point of entry into the bar area is a little over 2 feet.

and for easy visual reference so you don't have to scroll back to the top to see option 1:

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I also like Option 1 the best. It looks intentional, where the others look haphazard. In both second options, the angle would make for a really tight space. Measure it out, put a table or big cardboard box alongside a wall, and see how it feels.

• bpath
    9 years ago

Not what you asked, but will you have an ice source like an ice maker and will you have another fridge besides the wine cooler in the bar? I highly recommend both!

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

If you do a 90 degree turn do you have room for seating on both sides? Bar tending from head of the table with the curve facing the living space. Hope this makes sense. I think it could make for a nice buffet line.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Last thought. I didn't look at the rest of your plan so disregard if it doesn't work. Switch the powder room to the bar location access from hall(?). And put you bar at the entryway facing the room allowing more room to counter people and drinks/apps.

• carsonheim
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bp - yes, I'm planning on an undercounter ice maker. Essential!!! :)

houseofsticks -- can't rearrange bath/bar.... bath is under stairs and a bit of a drop down. Bar backs up to dining room. No one wants to access bath via DR, or rather, no one in DR wants to experience the "residual effects" of recent bathroom activity ;)

Think I'm going with option 4, which is really just option 1 opened up a bit more and moving the sink

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

Yes, the revised option 1/4 :) it works best:). Great memories are in the future.

Sponsored
Trish Takacs Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars36 Reviews
Award Winning & Highly Skilled Kitchen & Bath Designer in Columbus