Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jdez1

Signal Booster

jdez
9 years ago

Has anyone here installed a cell phone booster in their new construction? We are considering it because we will have a metal roof and have been told that we won't have a signal in our house. True or false? We just thought that we would go ahead and run the wiring for it now if it is something we are likely to need, if they even work (we are just now getting ready for drywall). Thanks for any info you can give.

Comments (5)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

There are several methods of installation recommended.
    You'll need that that fits you best.
    You'll find that there can be less than sufficient coax for a variety of locations.
    Those that I've installed are after market and because of the overhead utilities, I extend the antenna 3' above the highest level of roof, to free air.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago

A cell phone signal is dependent on many things. However, a blanket statement that a metal roof will prevent you getting a signal is baloney. I have a metal roof with a complicated roofline and I have never had a problem getting a signal in any part of the house, nor have any of my friends who have different carriers. Now if you are in a geographic location where reception is iffy already, a metal roof might have a small effect...just as walls might, or being in the basement, etc. You might want to think about people fully enclosed inside metal airplanes that have no problem making calls before they are asked to turn off their cell phones.

If it makes you feel better and it's not expensive to add wiring, I won't argue against it. Or, you could ask any of your new neighbors who have metal roofs if they have any problems getting reception, and maybe save yourself an unnecessary expense.

• mushcreek
    9 years ago

Our metal roof and steel reinforced concrete walls don't seem to affect the signal at all. We get the same inside as we do outside. It gets sketchy in the basement, though.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

We also have a metal roof and lots of rebar in our concrete house. Definitely do not get the same signal inside as outside. We are in a rural area though, so the signal isn't really strong to begin with.

• jdez
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ok, I think I'll just skip it and we can always add it to the house later if we need it. We have a good strong signal there right now. Thanks for the input.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz