Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

Why would this be cheaper to build?

farmhousegirl
11 years ago

We had a floorplan we used for pricing. We were not happy with the price. The builder came back with a different floorplan (approximately the same sq. footage as the plan we wanted) and said it's more efficient to build and he'd be able to get the price down...and keep the exterior looking the same.

I cannot understand why it's cheaper. It's still a center hall colonial and a basic box. However, the family room is in the center of the house rather than side of house like the plan we prefer. There is a kitchen to the left of the FR, and a study to the right. The FR has an open ceiling to the upstairs (which we do not want) and he would make it a closed ceiling with a playroom upstairs. There is a mud/laundry room in back corner of the house left of the kitchen, mudroom leads to garage.

We used to have a house with this same floorplan. I did not care for it and am not sure why. I prefer the FR to be off to the side so you don't have to always walk through it to get anywhere.

Why would it be cheaper to build this? Why would this be cheaper to build? I don't see much difference in the plan other than the centrally located FR.

In keeping the same exterior and same sq. footage, what would drive the cost? Seems like the rooms just got scrambled around.

Comments (4)