Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
logastellus

expensive rounded entry roof - alternatives??

logastellus
10 years ago

Hi. We don't have a porch but we have a rounded roof over the entry way.

The problem we got is that it's $2k extra for such a radius roof because "The new roof is rounded and the drain ridge runs side to to side on the rounded not a simple flat front to back.....which means cannot be done onsite but have to send it away with the roof measurements to be manufactured to fit this size and shape"

My worry is that if covered in shingles, it might not look good.

Do we have any other options here??

facade:

Perhaps we could do a roof like this:

?

would that be OK, aesthetically?

Comments (4)

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

If you look closely, the pitch of the copper porch roof in the photograph is such that it causes the sill of the window above to be raised significantly higher than the window sills to its right and left.

On your elevation you have two matching windows and it would look very odd to have one with a higher sill than the other. So to match the photograph you will have to: 1) have a reduced pitch so as to not impact the window sills, or; 2) raise the window sills on both windows.

Frankly, I think the rounder roof looks fine. Your explanation of a "drain ridge" is confusing and I'm not really sure what the issue is. The porch roof is small and really doesn't need gutters and downspouts, if that's what you are referring to. Are you really talking about the roofing material itself as the issue?

Good luck with your project.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    10 years ago

The detailing of the pediment of this arched roof porch is very lacking and IMO detrimental to the overall appearance.
    I think the concave hip is a possible improvement and contrary to virgilcarter, I think it would easily adapt to your house, because you have a bit of vertical height to spare; on the brick house pictured, the porch was held higher to clear the front door transom; you don't have that detail, so the porch could be lower. If need be, the overall rise of the hip roof can be tailored to your application.
    Casey

• logastellus
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Virgil - I'm not sure to be honest. I asked the question why it's so expensive and the reply in quotes is what they told me.

I can go back and ask again. It appears from their reply that it is the "side-to-side" drain ridge that makes it more expensive.

Does that make sense to you??

• User
    10 years ago

If you want to cut costs, eliminate all of the arch topped windows and the entry. That's easily 15K worth of stuff that really doesn't work with the style of the home, IMHO. Of course, I'd also eliminate the cross gable and cross gabled garage as well and focus on a much more traditionally detailed exterior. It would look much more cohesive and pulled together. The garage should be done as an inline gable with a lower roofline than the main home. And get rid of the stone everywhere but at the foundation line. The high waisted old man pants look is a builder cliche.