Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davepq_2010

Cost or price of inspection and permits

davepq_2010
11 years ago

Greetings ALl,

I would like to know the approximate price I could expect to pay for inspections and permits for a property I want to purchase.

It is a one acre lakefront lot in NC with an extremely old house on the lot (I may tear down). My main goal is to build a new home on the lot in a different spot. THe septic and well are old and this was only a 1 bedroom home the new home will be much larger.

Could anyone give me an approximate number of how much it would cost for, inspections, radon, septic, wel, dock, survey, perk test for new septic system etc....

Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (13)

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

Survey & plot plan $1800
    Septic plan $750
    Septic permit $630
    Bldg permit $350
    (includes inspections except for electrical)
    Well 210 ft $2976
    (Tanks well pump) $4775
    Septic system $14250
    (sand mound-2 tank pumping system)nothing perks regular in our township ;) this for 3bath 4br
    Radon included in excavation
    Excavation basement $7150
    (ran into rock)

This is from our current build. We are in PA.
    Inspections are cheap compared to what they make you do to pass inspection.

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ppbenn.

Those costs really do add up!!

I was wondering, in my case I am considering putting an offer in to buy the property to see if it would be too cost prohibitive to build or not. Will my costs still be the same or much less just to investigate potential costs?

What I am basically asking is do I need to pay for the septic plan AND permit or just the plan price if I decide it will be too expensive to build there.

Thanks again I really appreciate it and good luck with the rest of your build!

• flgargoyle
    11 years ago

The only way to know is to go to the local building department and ask. Fees vary widely, from $0 in non-inspection locations to outrageous. I followed a build in an historic district in CA, and the fees ran $58,000!

Here in SC, so far I've paid $280 for a septic permit, $80 for a barn permit, and $480 for a residential permit. That should be all of the permits I will need, and I think they are very low compared to other areas.

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flgargoyle,

Thanks for your reply. I guess the permit prices for NC will just be a little more.

• ppbenn
    11 years ago

In my township in order to get a building permit you need:
    Plot plan - which required the survey
    House plan
    Septic permit - which required

1. Perk test
    2. Septic plan
      We were fortunate to sidestep DEP requirements for erosion and run off due to the site being a farm. Think about the absurdity of having to "mitigate" earth disturbance on the 1 acre builing site that overlooks 15 acres of plowed field...
      I know some locals embrace agenda 21 more than others but if thats all one needs in SC to get busy building--jump on it.
      Go to your locals today, get a list of what you need and get started gathering info today. It will never be less expensive or easier due to regulations and code enforcement; new Gov. requirements will be adopted and these always COST MORE.
      You can't get permits unless you OWN the land but the township or whoever you go to in your local can give you a close idea of usual costs for them based on a house plan that you have to have at the time of permiting.
      Existing houses as you know, are really at an all time low now. Building new-- not so much. We already had the land so after weighing the feasibility of selling and buying a different farm with house and barn already on it and remodeling to suit us, we decided our farm was the best LAND for us. It has never been about the house- its the LAND.
      You will have to fall in love with the land to get past the big gulp every time you write the checks for things that are included in a development build.
  • davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

flgargoyle,

Thanks for your reply. I guess the permit prices for NC will just be a little more.

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ppben,

Thanks again you have been very helpful!

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

You might be able to go to the county website and get the information from there. We we live, the building inspection fees are based on the size of the house. And septic depends on the type of system, so not everyone pays the same fees. Here is a link to the website for my NC county, the county you are looking at may have a very different fee structure.

Edit: I was going to post it as a link, but GardenWeb is not cooperating and will not let me do so. Here is the address: http://www.chathamnc.org/Index.aspx?page=519

• david_cary
    11 years ago

NC builds.

Cary - $11k in permits.

Topsail Beach - $7k in permits - most of which was an impact fee for water.

Take a small town (ie well and septic) and the permits are probably more like $750. Also conventional septic should be closer to $8k. At Topsail we paid $36k for a 2 house system but that was outrageous.

• robin0919
    11 years ago

Where are you in NC? I'm also in NC and know approx prices in the Charlotte area.

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

David Cary, Thanks so much. If it costs $36K, I would have to be the same amount for the hospital bills after my heart attack!!!

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Robin09,

It is in Charlotte at Lake Wylie. Thanks!

• davepq_2010
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Dekeo,

Thank you so much I am going to check out that website now.