Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellyeng

Allison - How about a couple of trim questions?

kellyeng
16 years ago

Our trim is going to be like yours (I think). We are doing stained, butt joints & pine.

We are using 4" vertical and 5" horizontal. It doesn't look deep enough to me but DH says it's fine. As I recall your trim has great proportions, so could you share how many inches you have and where?

Also, does your window trim have a reveal (where the trim is offset slightly from the inside edge of the window jamb)?

Thanks!

P.S. Anyone else with pics and dimensions of your trim, please fill free to post!

Comments (20)

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Yes, we used pine and stained. Finished with a matt sanding sealer.

DH said it looks like about a quarter inch reveal.

We used 4" vertical and 6" horizontal. We also used 6" for the base and crown.

The tops of our windows line up with the tops of our doors.

We distressed every single board ourselves before installation. The painters stained/applied the sanding sealer before installation as well.

Doors

Windows
    {{gwi:1450462}}

• kellyeng
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Yep, that looks perfect.

I think ours must be 6" and not 5" but I better check. Do they even make 5"?

How did you distress the wood?

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

allison Beautiful! kellyeng is right. They do have great proportions. So now I have a very stupid question. Please excuse my ignorance. The 4" and 6" boards which you used for trim... Were they simple pine boards or where they pieces made specifically to be used as mouldings? Does it make sense to ask my builder to use simple 1"x6" and 1"x4" boards with butt joints or is he going to think I'm crazy? What is customarily used in this sort of installation? I'd rather look like an idiot here than in front of him. :) THANK YOU! j.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

A 6" boards are actually only about 5 1/2".

For the distressing, I had one of the trim carpenters cut down a wall stud into a paddle and shoot tiny nails thru it. Used it on all the exterior french doors. The nails were dull by the time I finished them so DH made us more paddles. I also used a chain but it made a lot of noise so I started using both ends of the head of my hammer.

Thanks, jaymielo. DH said ours were called prime pine or white pine. It's smoother than just regular pine boards.

My builder didn't think I was crazy, neither did the trim carpenter. Now the look on the head framers face when he saw me beating brand new doors was priceless!

There is an entire community of craftsman style homes not far from us where we first saw plain boards used as trim, but painted. I'd have to say it's not very common in my area but we wanted a crisp, clean, uncomplicated look and this was perfect for us.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

allison I think it is perfect also. I recorded you dimensions in my specification spreadsheet. Thank you so much for the information! You have an exceptionally beautiful home.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, jaymielo. I did some searching and your future home will be very lovely. I had to lol at your "like being on vacation everyday" because that's what we say! We're on a lake with a lower level walk-out also, though we do most of our living on the main level. I woke up before the sun this morning, took the dog out around daybreak and listened to the turkeys and an owl off in the distance. The kingfishers are one my favorite bird to listen - we call them monkey birds.

Good luck on your project!

• jea2007
    16 years ago

Allison,

could you post a close up picture of the trim, maybe the butt joint, and also a picture of the interior doors and how they are trimmed out?

Thanks,

Jane

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

allison, thank you so much. we are really hoping the house turns out exactly how we are envisioning it, hence all the research. it is wonderful that you are on a lake also. i'm very jealous. you're morning sounds like it was perfect. it must be so tranquil! i am really looking forward to it. i work from home and i think it will be a treat to spend all my time there, even if i do have to work and chase after my boys!

• chisue
    16 years ago

Ahem. Allison, I think you should know that your dog is ON THE FURNITURE again. LOL (Our Westie got up last night and was prowling around the house instead of staying in his bed on our BR bench. I got up and found him smack in the center of the LR sofa -- a No-No in our house!)

Here's to Happy Homes and the residents therein -- human and wee beasties!

• allison0704
    16 years ago

*snicker* Your dog has his own bed? We make Dubya sleep in the bed with us. ;) He is allowed to sleep anywhere he wants but tends to stay to three places; great room sofa, sunroom sofa and our bed. He sleeps on the floor too. Oh, he likes the rattan chairs on the back veranda also.

jea, I'll have to take photos. Nothing on the computer. The interior doors are trimmed out exactly like the exterior doors above - 6" horizontal, 4" verticals.

• poigirl
    16 years ago

Allison,
    Did you use 6" for the lower horizontal window trim as well as the top? Also, is that plain 6" at the crown or did you use something else? Your trim work is really beautiful. I'm planning on using very simple, white painted trim in our new lake house.
    Thanks, Julie

• allison0704
    16 years ago

poigirl, Thank you. We used 4" horizontal for the bottom window trim. Yes, it's plain 6" at the crown.

Here's a bad picture of a room I'm taking from an office to a bedroom, but it shows the doors/trim. Doors are by Barnett Millworks. Stain is SW Walnut Wainscott.

{{gwi:1450463}}

• kemptoncourt
    16 years ago

Allison,

Did you match up the stains throughout or different shades? Also, does it match your cabinetry at all or did you go with something entirely different.....we're hoping to go with this look (not distressed but stained pine) for our new home. For anyone interested Good Value has outstanding prices on 6 panel stain grade pine prehung interior doors. Follow the link below. Fair shipping prices if you're doing a whole house.

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Value Center

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Yes and yes. :) We matched finished colors to the different types of wood, so everything is the same shade. The doors/trim/windows are all SW Walnut Wainscott. The cedar beams (inside and out) are Minwax Early American. The spruce T&G ceilings on the verdandas are a 50/50 mix of the two.

Two bathrooms have mahogny cabinets with a dark glaze, two more and the laundry have cream cabinets with a soft glaze (all by Jim Bishop Cabinetry). All countertops are limestone. Powder room has a wall mounted copper sink.

The kitchen cabs I had made in England. Three sections are pine with a medium/dark stain, the coffee station is black, the fridge/pantry section is cream and the island is F&B French Grey. All are distress/glazed, finished on site. Hood trim and island countertop are antique pine. coffee station is new pine. Rest of kitchen and laundry are granite.

Be sure to see a door in person before you order. We had our window supplier bring over a door from Atlanta. It was $100+ more per door than the ones we ended up getting and was SO thin, didn't feel like a nice quality door, weight wise, and sounded hollow when I knocked on it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

• poigirl
    16 years ago

Allison,
    I have to ask...where are you in Alabama? I live in Montgomery, but will be moving to a nearby lake in (hopefully) October. I can't wait.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

Here is a photo of a top corner. Is this what you wanted?

{{gwi:1450464}}

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

allison Everything is beautiful. I love your kitchen. I can appreciate the amount of thought that went into every decision. You have created such a wonderful living space. I hope you are able to enjoy it for years to come. Some days I get so tired of searching for the "perfect" everything for the house and trying to make so many decisions, but your house is an inspiration. Today I'm feeling like it will all be worth. (Yesterday I was neurotic and ready to sell our lot! LOL. My DH loves me these days.) Thank you so much for sharing.

BTW, I love the hopscotch pattern of your kitchen floor. I already had that style of installation specified for my mudroom. Love it.

• jea2007
    16 years ago

Thank you Allison, I really appreciate it. Love all the distressing you did.

• allison0704
    16 years ago

jea2007, thanks and you're welcome.

jaymielo, No! Don't threaten to sell your lot...it will be over before you know it. I can't believe we were building only 2 yrs ago. Seems longer ago. Not only do we love it here, all our dogs/cats do too. Our children are all in college, but they love it too....although they still fuss at me for selling "their house." Can't win 'em all!

Get as much as you can picked out before building begins and don't wait until the last minute to decide what is left to select. If you have a builder, make sure he knows to give you several days notice on needing your final selection for things. No rushing! They'll be enough small things come up during construction and there's no need to feel overwhelmed. We enjoyed the process so much and would do it again in a heartbeat if we didn't love it here so much. They're going to have to drag me outta here!

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

allison On my rational days I know it will all be worth it and we are doing exactly as you suggest and specifying everything up front. That might be why some days I go nuts. It's like I'm pretend shopping for an imaginary house. We are talking with three different builders right now, continuing to work with the bids they have given us. The price is important, but so is what I feel the relationship with the builder would be like. Because we have definite ideas on so many of the elements in our house, we want to make sure they are up for building the house we have in our head and working with specific subs and craftsman I've already made contact with. As you know, it is a very long process but hopefully it will all come together in the next year and a half or so... We have a goal to start our oldest in kindergarten in the Fall of 2008 in the "new" house, so it is a date to drive towards, although I will definitely let it slip if we need to in order to make the correct house choices.