Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Did you have an attorney review your closing documents?

Posted by BAVE (My Page) on
Sat, May 19, 12 at 22:03

We are about to close on our single close construction loan and I would appreciate advice. How many of you have had an attorney review your closing documents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Did you have an attorney review your closing documents?

We had no need for an attorney to look at the bank documents but we did have an attorney look at the builder contract. The construction loan docs were straight forward. We wanted assurance for the builder/GC docs. I have responded to a few of your other posts so again YMMV.

o
RE: Did you have an attorney review your closing documents?

I am an attorney and so, obviously, I reviewed our loan documents well in advance of closing. And then, when we got to the closing to sign the actual documents, I went over everything again. Good thing I did because, mysteriously, our post-construction interest amount had suddenly jumped up by half a percentage from the amount that had been shown on all previous documents and to which we had agreed!

I balked. Told the loan officer "this in NOT what we had agreed to!" They redid the documents changing the numbers back to what they were supposed to be. Loan officer told us that it was just a "typo" and that, even if we had signed without noticing the changed interest rate amount, they would have honored the number we had previously agreed on. YEAH RIGHT!

The documents you actually sign control the deal...not the review copies you get in advance.

Have your attorney review the documents and then take the copy your attorney has reviewed with you to your closing and check thru the final copies paragraph by paragraph for ANY changes. If it takes you an hour to check it, take the hour. Do not allow yourself to be rushed. If you find anything changed - even one word - call your attorney for an explanation before signing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here