Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kristi_2010

please help!!need pics of 4 or 5 in wide hardwood floors

kristi_2010
13 years ago

I have to make a decision VERY soon, probably next week. I have looked at lots of floors, but am still not sure what to get. I love the wider planks and am also very fond of the hand scraped. I like a medium to dark stain with no red more brown look. PLEASE help with any pics.

Comments (14)

• bigkahuna
    13 years ago

Here are a few shots of 5" Braz Cherry. Not great photos for it but hope it helps

{{gwi:1450261}}

• User
    13 years ago

We did Carlisle 8 inch walnut planks.

• wear_your_baby
    13 years ago

Do your 8" wide planks lay nicely? DH is concerned at that width there could be gaps or warping. Sure looks nice in the pic. I love it!!

• sc_kathyc
    13 years ago

We haven't had the floors finished yet so I am not sure if this will help much. We have 4" wide hickory.

• pastaff
    13 years ago

No pics as we are in the midst of new construction but we are going with 5" hand scraped hickory in "brackish" which is a dark brown, matte finish which we were told would be easier to keep clean as opposed to a high gloss finish. It's not installed yet but I can't wait! I think it is an Anderson product. Good luck!!

• kristi_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks to everyone who has posted photos!!They all look great! I think that one of my problems in choosing is I like several and am having a hard time narrowing it down to one style, color, width and finish. You all have beautiful floors! I think this is the biggest decision I have had to make. We will be putting down 2100 sq ft of wood floors, so I just want to make a good decision.

Thanks again!
    Kristi

• pps7
    13 years ago

milz50-love your floors. I saw the walnut in one of carlisle's showrooms and fell in love. Unfortunately it was not in the budget. We are doing 8-12 inch pine. The floors should be installed inthe next month sometime;I'm super excited.

• srercrcr
    13 years ago

We used oak, which is a very hard wood if that is pertinent, but humidity isn't an issue. We open up quite often. The flooring was nailed to screeds, which are floating boards on the slab. The floor can adjust to different conditions.
    For reference there are two issues with wood. One is the actual type of wood and its varying grain pattern...oak, pine, walnut, maple, etc. Hardness, grain, and cost are issues. The other is the stain, or color. You can put any stain on any wood, so keep that in mind. Sheen would also be a third issue I guess.

• megradek
    13 years ago

here's the best picture I have before furniture of ours: Cumaru in 4", natural

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

Gorgeous floors everyone!

5" stained hickory here:

• sc_kathyc
    13 years ago

I don't want to hijack the thread but crazyhouse6 can you tell me what stain you have on your hickory. We are still trying to make up our mind whether to go natural or stain. I really like the color on yours.

• kristi_2010
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All the floors look great! Thanks for all the pics!

• crazyhouse6
    13 years ago

sc Kathyc - We originally were leaning toward going dark with the floors until they were installed. They are just so beautiful unfinished aren't they? When we went with darker stains we lost the color variations and gained more grain activity. We had a lot of different stain colors and combos, but ended up going with 2 parts natural and 1 part chestnut stain (I think). You can still tell it's hickory, yet the color variations aren't too demanding in the room. One of the toughest decisions on our build, but I'm very happy with how they turned out.