Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Safe Rooms?

Posted by phoggie (My Page) on
Sun, May 20, 12 at 21:37

Has anyone put a safe room in their new build? I am building on a crawl space, so won't have a basement and we are in "tornado alley". I have the luxury of having a son across the street with a good basement, but was wondering for resale if it would be worth the extra expense to put one in my house?

If you have one, approximately how much did it cost to install?

Thanks~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Safe Rooms?

Depends on how big and what features you want!

o

I was thinking of the closet that is approximately 8x8. Most that I have seen have cement encasement with a steel door.

o

Phoggie, I know you said you have crawl, but do you have the option of digging a small cellar/basement/safe space in one area of your crawl? That might end up being less $ than a safe room for how often you'll hopefully need it.

o

One of the least expensive methods for many years was to install a dry septic tank with the top almost at grade level.

You have to make sure it cannot fill with water long term, but they worked for a long time.

o

I suppose every little bit helps, why else, when it is your only option, do they say to go into a bathroom? With that in mind, and with a limited budget, in my new build we will beef up a bathroom and call it a safe room. This bathroom has no windows and is tucked beside a stairwell and the two shall be reinforced as much as possible: 2x6 walls, simpson ties and hurricane straps everywhere we can place them, 1/2 CDX sheathing, screwed and glued, and a few extra studs and extra bracing. Under the stairwell, aside one wall of the "safe room", we may have room for a cinder block wall. Add an exterior grade door and I'll have a budget "safe room." Less than ideal, better than nothing. My builder wanted my business and will do all of the above, except the cinder block wall, for no additional cost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here