Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retractable Awning

Posted by wbrown609 (My Page) on
Tue, May 7, 13 at 21:37

Posting this here as I thought it would get the most replies. Anyone have any experience with retractable awnings? We have footprint restrictions on our house, but uncovered decks do not count. We have an eight foot wide deck that we would like to get some shade on, but we cannot cover it. I thought about one of the retractable awnings to cover a portion of it. This is a vacation house that will not get much use, and I was thinking about one of the manually operated ones from somewhere like Lowes or Home Depot. Can anyone offer any opinions on something like this? Are they useful or just a waste of money? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retractable Awning

We have a retractable awning that we ordered through Costco. Love it. It makes our patio pleasant in the summer. Before the awning, we used market umbrellas, but those (1) broke every year (2) did not shade as large an area (3) took up space in our small garage during the winter. If I recall correctly, it was not much more expensive to get a motorized unit, so we did, but we have never plugged it in because the kids still argue over who gets to turn the crank pole to manually operate the awning.

The one drawback I can see is that it is a bit ugly.

o

We had a retractable awning at our last house, it was motor operated but a manual version would have been fine. We loved it, didn't really think it looked that bad and it greatly extended our use of the deck. I definitely preferred it over the table type umbrellas we used before installing the awning.

o

We have a Sunsetter motorized that we inherited with our cabin. Ugly? You betcha. But we do love it and use it often. I'd have much preferred a single color to stripes though and I'll likely enclose the box to hide it better.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here