Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20105102

Thoughts on this elevation

User
9 years ago

Not a huge fan of the interior, but I thought the exterior looked very nice. What are your thoughts?

http://www.garrellassociates.com/featured/melbourne-farm-style-house-plan

Comments (7)

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

It looks beautiful to me!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Since you asked, I'm not a fan. I don't like the waterline of the brick as to me they make a house look short. And the brackets at the soffits (can't remember what you call them) ... supposed to look like rafter ends but they don't... are too ornate for the style of the house...

The color scheme is pleasant though.

Here is a link that might be useful: Your link

• DreamingoftheUP
    9 years ago

In general, I like it, but would question these specifics:
    1. The stacked stone supports for the columns - OK, but not the high belt line stone around the house.
    2. Do the two tiny dormers actually provide light somewhere or are they totally decorative?
    3. I'm sorry, but the shutters on the living room window are laughably ridiculous. If they were operable, not only are they not sufficiently wide to cover the opening, they aren't tall enough either. Some of the other shutters have the width problem.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

It's not a farmhouse. Yes, the individual windows are tall and thin, but the look is Craftsman -- grouped windows, details at the eaves, the pillars, the color scheme.

I find the elevation a bit busy, but I like a lot of things about it: The roofline is nice, if a bit overdone; a brown roof doesn't absorb heat like a more common black roof. The front door is easy to locate -- and I always like a red front door. Plenty of natural light. The front porch is pretty, though probably not deep enough to be functional.

I do agree that the shutters are bad. Shutters, even if inoperable, should be the appropriate size and shape for the windows; otherwise it registers as "wrong" to the eye. I would think twice about using the trendy stacked stone at the foundation -- I don't agree it makes the house look short, but I do think that in a decade it'll look like harvest gold or avocado green; however, you could go with a traditional brick and end up with a look that's classic rather than trendy.

• bpath
    9 years ago

It's pretty. The brick doesn't bother me. If the shutters were sized appropriately and the LR ones removed, that would be good. The big dormer above the front door looks too big, but maybe it's the angle of the photo. The little dormer above the dining room and bedroom is one too many. Remove that, and the rooflines are a little more harmonious. Neat detailing on the eaves. This porch would look great with ceiling-mounted lights, for a soft glow in the evening.

• _sophiewheeler
    9 years ago

Cliched with inappropriate detailing.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

A link would make it easier to see the image