Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Detail about seating booth in the kitchen

mrspete
9 years ago

I've been drooling over pictures of booths to be built into a kitchen. I'm thinking we're going to incorporate a small booth sized to fit the two of us comfortably into our retirement house. I'm thinking it'd be cozy for daily meals, whereas the big dining room table might feel "lonely" for two.

Note: I'm talking about a true BOOTH, not a window seat with a table sitting in front of it /chairs on the other side. Though those are lovely, they're not what I'm thinking.

However, I've noticed that QUITE A FEW booths are built with a "step up". That is, you have to "step up" one step to sit down on the bench.

I'm thinking this is just a design choice -- and since it's for a retirement house in which I hope to live for the rest of my life, a house in which I will one day be elderly -- I'm thinking it's not something that I want.

Or perhaps people do this to make the table "even" with the bottom edge of the window? My windows don't yet exist, so I can choose any size I want.

Thoughts? Am I missing some reason why people are making their booths "step ups"?

Comments (19)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

We have the step up- carpenter just started on it.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, with a nook that includes chairs . . . you wouldn't have a step. That'd be a safety hazard -- someone would scoot back and fall hard.

Yes, that's just the kind of step I'm seeing. I'm just not seeing WHY so many people have it. I'm thinking it's just a style choice, but if there's a reason it's an attractive feature -- and I'm missing it -- I'm open to considering it.

That's just the type of booth we're considering. Do you happen to know your measurements? It looks just like what we're considering: Something that'd be comfortable for two people. And we'll have two windows at the end /one window behind one bench.

Another detail: Are you doing a slightly dropped ceiling above the booth? I'm wondering if that would lend a slightly cozy feel /set the booth apart from the kitchen. With three windows, I don't think it'd feel cave-y.

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Well- for us with the design of the kitchen itis all about visual delineation. I will try to find a pic of what we did with the ceiling there and post it. It matches the porch tongue and groove so when you look out of the window at the lake you can pretend you are outside.
    About the accessibility issue. You can see in the first pic that you don't have to step up to get into the nook. You just put your butt down and scoot in- no biggie. We adjusted the size of the nook to be slightly larger than our plans so I don't have that info handy... but I sat in the area today and I am really glad we did this instead of the usual breakfast area.

• mojomom
    9 years ago

I don't know why on the step, but think you will love the booth. Some our friends had an inset booth with the built in benches in their old kitchen -- when they remodeled their kids as well as everyone of the "the girls" who had spent many hours sitting in that booth drinking coffee or wine, solving all sorts of problem (and maybe creating a few) insisted that they keep the booth. Their booth had no step and wasn't a window seat, actually the nook had no windows. But the coziness of that booth brings back lots of good memories, some bittersweet and all comfortable as 5, then 4, of us sat and visited over the years as children, then teenagers, then young adults came in and out. My friends moved to their dream home last year -- but we all still miss the booth.

• kirkhall
    9 years ago

Actually, for aging in place, I'd think you'd WANT the booth... For this reason:

"About the accessibility issue. You can see in the first pic that you don't have to step up to get into the nook. You just put your butt down and scoot in- no biggie"

As you age, as I've noticed with my grandfather, it gets to be more and more difficult to get "up" again from a chair--any chair. He has driven a minivan or farm pickup for the last 20 years in large part because it isn't difficult to get out of the vehicle. Now that he is really having mobility and balance issues, the dining room chairs are really posing a problem for him. Higher chairs are better for getting back up again. For him.

I've sat in booths that are raised in restaurants. Before you rule them out, maybe go sit in one or 2...

• duluthinbloomz4
    9 years ago

I have a booth and I love it for all the cozy and other reasons - sitting in it now with my notebook and a cup of coffee. No step up and not at a window; one side is backed by a narrow bank of cabinets and the other against a wall. Bench seats are hinged for nice extra storage. Padded backs and comfortable custom to length cushions. A handy divided silverware drawer was built into the table.

This is a fun kitchen for a house built in 1935. It could use a bit of a cosmetic remodel, new sink, appliances, etc., but the booth definitely stays with maybe a new upholstery job. I'm not getting any younger and this is easy sliding in and out.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that type of lowered ceiling is exactly what I had in mind: Something to set it apart, something to make it a cozy, hidey-hole type place to sit. I like that yours has a beam separating the lowered ceiling.

When you make me remember my grandmother having trouble getting out of a low chair, I do see the point in making the benches slightly higher for old age. For that purpose, perhaps the step up is a good idea -- right now it makes no difference pro or con.

By the way, we're looking at a space 8' wide with two windows at the end of the booth and one on the side. And I'm thinking I want each bench to be about 5' wide -- plenty of space for one person to sit comfortably on each bench, or two to squeeze in.

Any other thoughts?

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

The step up does a couple of things. It separates the space from the kitchen proper. It makes it easier to get in and out of. And, it lets the table be "counter height" when you are standing, so it can be used as additional prep space when you have a large number of people in the kitchen helping out.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are all sensible reasons.

At first I saw no point and had concerns about being elderly in this house . . . but now I think I want the step up. This is why I read this board -- to gather information that isn't readily apparent to me.

• Michelle
    9 years ago

Gosh, now you all have me wanting a booth!

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Thought y'all might enjoy this page out of the 1921 Sears catalog:)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I have removed some from old houses but none of them had a step; I think that feature is found in some upscale restaurants so it is catching on.

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

To back up what Renovator8's saying, I lived in an old house -- an old American 4-square /Brick Bungalow -- that had a great little booth in a butler's pantry between the kitchen and the formal dining room. It had no step. Perhaps that's why I was surprised to see so many in pictures.

• Houseofsticks
    9 years ago

I always picture it with a step. I was thinking easier to clean crumbs from underneath. Slide in and out. A sense of formality yet coziness. Height is nice to over look view through a window.

• autumn.4
    9 years ago

I am with Michelle-wishing now we had a booth. It looks to be an awesome feature that lasts through the ages Mrs.Pete. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Just measure carefully. We are both small people, but we had a large (girth-wise) guest and we were thankful our table slid out to accommodate him.....harder to accomplish in a booth...seems people are only getting bigger these days.

• mdln
    9 years ago

Saw this after I finalized my kitchen design, wish I'd thought of doing a booth.

• ILoveRed
    9 years ago

If the back is straight up and down you will quickly get a backache. Our favorite family restaraunt has booths designed like this and I honestly can't sit in them for long. We usually request a table.

The tips I have seen on building booths suggests a slope on the back.

I love the booths in home kitchens.