Return to the Building a Home Forum

o
William Poole Design- Calabash Cottage- Help Please!

Posted by Herewegoagain (My Page) on
Mon, May 28, 12 at 21:21

Hi! After two years on the market, our house has finally sold!!! Yeah!!! Our next big issue, however, is finding a house plan to build. We have been searching for one the entire time we have had our house for sale. We had just about given up and decided we would go with an architect and draw our own..... But, we recently came across the Calabash Cottage by William Poole and my husband and I both fell in love. However, this will be our 3rd build and hopefully the one we stay in for quite some time. So, we would really love to find someone who has built it or knows where we might could find some interior pictures. If you can help we would love to know. Thanks so much in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: William Poole Design- Calabash Cottage- Help Please!

When I was looking at a William Poole design, I was able to find a number of photos by putting the house name in google images and also as a key word in one of two of the mobile real estate apps. I tried a couple places searching for your house that way, but it didn't yield much. It's worth spending some time doing some intuitive googling though, as I'm sure there are pictures floating around the web.

For example, there may be something helpful in the google image results for "calabash cottage interior," please see link below. Good luck, and congrats on selling your house!

Here is a link that might be useful: calabash cottage interior--google image search

o

Thanks so much! I've tried to google several options but haven't had much luck. I'm thinking i may contact william poole designs and see if they might be able to help. We really appreciate your response and information. Thanks again!!!!!!

o

A lot of his houses are built in the Carolinas, so you might find searching real estate listings around Wilmington, Charlotte, Raleigh, etc., might turn something up.

o

Hey, I was wondering if you ever found pictures? My wife and I are planning to start building this house very soon. It's been 5 months since you posted, did you start building and do you have your own pictures? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

o

Hey! We have not yet started to build. We plan to start late Spring or first of summer. How about you guys.... We have not found any picturs and even contacted William Poole's office.... but no luck. Would love to hear from you. Thanks!!

o

We actually just started. They started clearing some trees Thursday and should be finished clearing tomorrow. I expect it to be finished about mid June. I e-mailed Poole as well with no luck. I guess I will be the one giving you pictures :)

o

Here is one of our first pics with a few trees on the ground. The house will be about 100 yds from the road which is behind the standing pines on the right.

o

So excited for you!!!! Please keep us posted on the progress. Your building site is beautiful!!! What state are you building in?

o

Thank you. We are excited to see it finally start. We went to the property this afternoon to see some more progress. We're building in upstate SC. Here is another pic from the gate. All the way in the back, the house will sit on top of the hill.

o

We're so ready to start.... makes me a little jealous lol. But, we are planning to start in the summer if things work out with the land we are wanting. When we made the original post, we were planning on starting in the Spring. But, our closing date got moved back a month, the first offer we made on the land we wanted wasn't accepted and then the holidays were here. I guess God knew we needed a little break:) This will be our 3rd and hopefully last build for a while. We'll be watching for your pictures! Hope everything goes smoothly! Keep us up to date:)

o

By the way.... please let us know if you blog your progress or anything. We are building in Mississippi or I'd be begging to take a few tours:p

o

I suppose I should start a new message to add the progress. I'll let you know where it is when I start adding things. Hopefully the pictures will be good enough that you would not need a tour. Also, we're making a few changes to the original plan. We are changing the garage size to 30X36 and we will finish the area over the garage when the contractor is done. We're going with hardiplank siding and a shingled roof.

o

Sounds good. We are making very similar changes and will likely be using hardiplank as well. We used it on our first house and really liked it; very durable and doesn't have to be painted every couple of years. Thats a real plus. We look forward to hearing from you and watching your progress.

o

My husband and I are going to start building this plan next month. I would love to see some interior pictures from anyone who has built this home to get some ideas.
Thanks!

o

I check zillow every month. Unfortunately, I can find lots of houses by William Poole but I can never find the calabash cottage. I'm guessing we will be finished around the first of July. I will post some pictures as we start moving forward. The footers are poured and the foundation w/ brick should be complete next week.

o

Great. Looking forward to seeing your pics.
Thanks.

o

William Poole has some great designs. We're getting ready to begin building his Bowling Green plan and are in the HOA approval stage as this time.
Good luck with your Calabash Cottage builds.

o

Hi -Bryan or aallen! Just wondering if either of you have made much progress on your Calabash Cottage builds. So anxious to see some pics if you have any.

Thanks!

o

We are behind schedule. The foundation was just finished. The lumber was supposed to be delivered yesterday and framing should start today. Closing on our house for sale is Friday so we are busy moving at the moment. I'll post a couple pictures when I can transfer them to my computer, hopefully soon.

o

Thanks for the update. Hope everythng turns out great with your closing!

o

Everything went great. The house is sold. We are living for free with parents at the moment. Here are a few pictures. There is an extra room sticking off the side of the house (where the master bathroom will be). Hopefully it will be gone today. Apparently, they looked at the wrong foundation plan and continued to build up framed and all. Rather than keep it and spend more money, we decided to get rid of it. The large openings on the back of the house are for the master br and the living room.

o

Front of the house.

o

Back of the house.

o

And the garage...

o

So excited for you! Can't wait to see more pictures.... Is that a three car garage? We were thinking of doing 3 as well.

o

Thank you. Yes, that's a 3 car or a 2 car and 1 boat. The door on the left will be 10' (for the boat) and the other two will be 9 foot. It's supposed to be 30X36, but it looks like it's going to be more like 29X35. They have moved up to the second floor. I'll post some more next week.

o

Here is a pic from Saturday. They have added a 3rd dormer above the garage since this pic.

o

I love the look of this house. Can you tell me what is the total square footage including porches? Thanks.

o

House heated/cooled = 2,553 SF
Above Garage Bonus H/C = 650 SF
Porches = 580 SF
Garage (30x36) = 1,080 SF

Total Heated/Cooled = 3,200 SF
Total Under Roof = 4,860 SF

The 3-Car garage is 1 more than spec.

o

Hey Bryan,

My husband and I are going to be building this house starting this summer, possibly as early as June. We too, are in upstate, SC! I would love the opportunity for us to pick your brain on a couple of things before we get started! And would also love to continue seeing your updated pictures... as there are many things we are having difficulty picturing... such as (the living room - fireplace placement), and the master bathroom. We are wanting to do some rearranging to those areas. Looking forward to talking with you!

- Brandi

o

Hey Brandi, yes that's fine. Unfortunately, there aren't many places for the fireplace to go. We elected to have only gas logs (no chimney) where they are shown in the drawings. With the large window in the den and no other walls, it has to go somewhere on the wall it currently is. For the bathroom, we chose to put a custom shower where the large tub would have been. Also, we are going to have a linen closet where the small shower would have been. We had a whirlpool tub in our previous home, but it was never used. This led us to go with an over-sized shower (6'-8" long by the tub width - whatever that is).

o

Bryan,

Thank you for your quick response! We were thinking the same thing with the fireplace. I am just not certain that I like the idea of putting the tv over the mantle, but with the lack of walls, there is little other options. For the bathroom, we also thought a tub was not really necessary for every day use, so we are thinking about doing a corner tub in the first corner and opening the rest of that wall up to the closet and closing the wall in where the closet door is now to offer more wall space to the bedroom. Then we were thinking of pushing the wall into the guest closet a foot or two and doing a linen cabinet next to the sink and a custom shower and water closet. I am still having trouble envisioning the kitchen - living room area. We are building in south Greenville. Can't wait to see more of your pictures! How long is it taking to build so far?

Thanks, Brandi

o

PS.. we too are going to live with the parents for a little while. Should be fun!

This post was edited by BStone924 on Tue, Apr 16, 13 at 10:51

o

My wife doesn't want a television over the mantle either. She wants to put it where the cabinets are. I think we will put it on a wall mount so that it can swing out and pivot toward the center of the living room. We're thinking the bonus room will be the main place to watch television.

If you are in south Greenville, we are probably within 10-15 miles. We're 10 mins down exit 34.

We started clearing trees around the first of Januray. The footers were completed Jan. 28. All the shingles are on, we need a couple more windows, rough plumbing is complete, electrical to start this week. Total build time looks like 6-7 months.

Maybe you and your husband can come check it out sometime. Hopefully it can give you some more ideas and help with your own build. I'll add a couple more pictures later this week.

o

That is so close to us! We are off of Hwy 25. That TV idea is great! I would love the opportunity for us to take a look at it, if that is something you aren't opposed to. Please email me on my personal email when you have time, so we can talk more about the house without bogging down this post.
Thanks!

This post was edited by BStone924 on Thu, Apr 18, 13 at 9:17

o

Here are a couple more recent photos.

o

Garage...

o

Love see your photos!! We have started this home but so far we just have the basement poured. It has been raining A LOT here so they haven't been able to start framing yet. Looks like clear skies next week.

o

That's great! Good news that the weather is clearing. We were told yesterday that the sheet rock will start by end of next week. I will try and get some interior pictures soon after. What color are all of you thinking about? I think we will go with Iron Gray.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iron Gray

o

Hi Bryan:

Your house looks like it's coming along great! My wife and I will be building this house, as well, starting around the first of July in central Texas. We're going with the three car garage also and we don't want the TV over the mantel. Like you, we have opted for a large walk in shower instead of the whirlpool tub. Looking forward to any new pictures.

Thanks! Bill

o

I know I haven't posted much lately. The latest changes have been soffit, sheet rock, and siding. Here are a couple more pics from last week. NOTE: Some of the interior doors are 2'0". The bathroom door on the main floor is 2'. Most or all of you will probably want to go up to a 2-4 or 2-8. We did not notice this until after the drywall was put up. Now we're trying to change it after the fact. Learn from our mistake, or look at the plans more closely than we did.

Bryan

o

Side view

o

Hi Bryan!

Love seeing your progress! Do you have any interior photos you could share? I'm so anxious to get an idea of how the inside looks.... I've searched the web and can only find exterior photos. Thanks for the info about the doors. I'll be sure to make a note of that.

Thanks!

Terri (herewegoagain )

o

I don't have them yet. I'll take some this week. The inside looks so much better now that all the debris from hanging drywall is gone. Interior trim and painting is next.

Does anyone have an exterior color picked out yet?

o

Great! I'm so excited to see them. Will be watching for your post.

We are going to do white with black trim like the one on the William Poole website. We did consider a light gray similar to what you chose. I've been seeing a trend toward the gray with black and white accents/ trim. It looks really good.

o

I know you asked for pictures, but I thought a video tour might be better. I don't have a great camera for taking interior pictures where a wide-angle lens is necessary.

https://vimeo.com/67637019
https://vimeo.com/67637352
https://vimeo.com/67637353
https://vimeo.com/67637355
https://vimeo.com/67637128
https://vimeo.com/67637356
https://vimeo.com/67637357
https://vimeo.com/67637423
https://vimeo.com/67637424
https://vimeo.com/67637425
https://vimeo.com/67637426
https://vimeo.com/67637427

o

Bryan,

Thank you so much for sharing! It really made everything much easier to visualize and plan for. I can't wait to see your choices for cabinetry, etc. I'll be looking forward to future picture/video additions. So excited for you and can't wait till we are at this stage in the process. Thanks again!

Terri

o

You are very welcome. We have picked out cabinets and hardwood floors. The floors are "gunstock" and the cabinets are tapioca / white. I will add photos as things progress.

o

Bryan, I have enjoyed reading your post. I found the Calabash Cottage house plan in a magazine about three years ago and my husband and I decided that this was the house we wanted to build. We live in Shelby NC and are in the beginning stages of planning to build the home. I accidently found this blog just by reading about William Poole homes on the internet. The videos have been so helpful, as we can actually visualize the home instead of just looking at house plans. We are about an hours drive from Greenville. We may have so more questions for you as we begin construction too! The house looks great! Look forward to talking with soon!

Katie

o

Hey Katie, sounds good. Hopefully I can be of some help. I would post more photos, but things change waayyyyyy too slowly. The only thing accomplished last week was a delivery of interior doors and trim. I don't expect any big changes for 2-3 weeks now. Funny b/c we were told it would only take 4 months to build.

Anyway, good luck with the planning and the building. It may be another 2-3 weeks before I have more pictures.

Bryan

o

Hi Bryan... I was wondering how deep the front porch is. We were hoping to be able to put a swing there, but it seems a little shallow.

Thanks!
Terri

o

Hey, I think it is about 6'-6". There should be enough room turned either direction? I can verify the depth tomorrow.

o

Thanks so much! Please don't go to any trouble... I was just trying to get an idea; sometimes pictures can be deceiving depending upon the angle it was taken, etc. Thanks again.

Terri

o

Sorry I haven't updated any pictures. The trim work is pretty much finished, but not much else has been done. I'm worried some of you may finish before us! When we have some paint on the walls I'll give an update.

Aallen, where are you in the process? Everything going according to plan?

o

Hey Terri, we measured the porch today. It was 6'-11" from the siding to the outside of the porch.

o

Hi Guys,

Have enjoyed your posts, pix and videos very much! We will be building at our farm in Simpsonville soon, we hope..Have to sell house first...Calabash is a possibility for us along with several other William designs. My question/request is for references on builders. Feel free to send private message. Thank you!!

o

• Posted by lee_ryan (My Page) on Mon, Jul 1, 13

Hello Bryan, I would like to ask you a question about the house, can we email?
    Thanks

This post was edited by lee_ryan on Tue, Jul 9, 13 at 19:08

o

Hi Bryan,

Thanks for the info on the porch! That helps a lot! I'm hoping we will be able to move it out to at least 8' without it causing any problems with roof line, etc. We're "porch people" lol. Can't wait to see more of your interior ...

Terri

o

Lee-Ryan - I just changed my settings so that you can send me an e-mail. If you go to your profile, you can check the box to allow other users to send an e-mail. Try that.

Terri - You're welcome. I still think there is enough room for a swing turned either direction. But, we found some really nice furniture the other day including a glider. We may go with that instead of a swing. The glider was about $240 and the large wooden rockers we found were $120. Here is a link to what the glider looks like.

Here is a link that might be useful: Glider

o

Bryan-

Really like the glider! Would be a great option for space and with kids (which are always plentiful at our house)... let me know how it works out.

o

Bryan, thank you so much for posting all the pix. Like "herewegoagain" I'm looking forward to seeing your interior pix to get a better conceptual understanding. We are looking at this plan for Colorado. Am a bit concerned that all posters on this site are building in the south. Does anything think this plan is not a good one for the colder western states? Thanks again, let's all stay in touch to compare notes!

o

Hey bryan,
    i sent you a message but it may have went to your junk mail as i sent a copy to mine and it went to junk mail.
    Thanks ryan

o

Bryan,
    Thanks for sharing your pictures and videos. They have been a great help in trying to visualize this house. My husband and I ordered this plan and will start construction in a month or so. One of our concerns was the size and layout of the living room with the posts and fireplace. Is there enough room for the furniture to fit comfortably and people still have room to walk to the bedrooms and back patio door? It's hard to tell if it will be a bit awkward or crowded. A response to this question, or any advice in general would be greatly appreciated. Like you, we plan to expand the garage. Also, any updated pictures would be great. Again, thank you so much for sharing! Good luck!
    Christine

o

That's a good question. I've been a little concerned about that as well. The short answer is yes, the long answer is: It depends a little on what you do with the fireplace and how far it comes out from the wall. I just scaled it from the drawing they provide on the house plans website. Here is your answer......If you have 2 large sofas (86" wide X 39" deep), you could put one with the back of the sofa running along the balcony line. You start with 11'-4" between the tile or brick from the fireplace to the end column. That's 136" total, subtract 86", leaves you with 50". 50"/2 = 25" of room on either side (25" from sofa to fireplace tile/brick and 25" from sofa to inside of end column. Then you could have another large sofa inside of the columns looking toward the entertainment center / fireplace. You would have 31" between the 2 sofas and 31" between the sofa and the door going to the deck/patio. I'll attach a drawing. The couches were not drawn to scale, but they were included to show you the direction and location I was talking about. New pictures coming up next. I bet you were looking for more progress, but these are from today. The progress has been slower than slow. Hopefully the interior painting will be finished this week.

This post was edited by -Bryan on Wed, Jul 17, 13 at 19:55

o

Still not painted. At least the door is finally in and the siding is finished.

o

Here's a look at one of our columns, standing in the doorway between the kitchen and the breakfast area.

o

Looking into the living room while standing in the foyer...

o

Here is the kitchen...

o

Bryan,
    Thank you so much for the quick response. It was very helpful. Our builder suggested possibly eliminating the posts and having a steel beam constructed to replace it. Now seeing your pictures, I really like the looks of the posts. Also, I like the colors you chose for the exterior. I'm excited to watch your progress. I do have one more question. We are considering moving the pantry, so that area in the mud room could be a cubby area for the kids. We thought about putting a shallow pantry on that small wall space between the kitchen and foyer. Again, its hard to visualize that space without having been in the house. Would a pantry fit on that wall? If you could posts some pictures of that area, I would really appreciate it. Again, thank you so much for your help. Your house is looking great!

o

Here's a picture of that wall. There is already a closet there so I suppose you can move the door to the living room wall?

o

I would like to see this in person, I live close to Raleigh NC. Will you give me an address. My email is mcdozer@live.com.

o

I would like to see this in person, I live close to Raleigh NC. Will you give me an address. My email is mcdozer@live.com.

o

any progress? my wife and i want to build this house but we would like to see some more pics. Like many others here, we want to change a few things and a visual really helps. thanks in advance

o

Terribly slow progress. We've had a problem getting the power turned on, so the floors and cabinets aren't in yet. Still no paint on the outside because it rains every other day. It's quite frustrating. But, if anyone wants to see an unfinished room or a certain area of the house I will try and get a picture for you.

Most recent progress: Our porch and columns are 90% complete. Steps to upstairs and balcony handrails are in place. The master shower is almost complete. We have tile in all bathrooms and the laundry room.

o

Hi everyone! Just wondering if any of our Calabash Cottage friends who are already building have any new progress to show. Would love to see some more interior pictures! Thanks!!!

o

I guess we are at the beginning. Things are going fast. Lower walls are up, I can't wait to see the roof line. Bryan your post have been wonderful and helpful. I can get some interior pics tomorrow, my schedule hasn't allowed me to see the progress this week.

o

Interior pics coming. We have 3-8 weeks to go. If only I knew.... I'll start off with the freshly painted exterior.

o

The den

o

The master br

o

dining

o

Stairs

o

Upstairs

o

Upstairs bedroom

o

Matt123-

Congratulations on your progress!! Hope things continues to progress smoothly and quickly!

Bryan-

Thanks so much for the updated pics! Love seeing your progress! How are things going with the kitchen? I knew you said there had been some issues a few weeks back.

Terri

o

The kitchen still looks the same as my July 17th post. The power company told me the power would be on in about 2 weeks from August 14. On Aug 29 I called to check the status and they said it was scheduled to be completed by Sept 19. I said "There must be a mistake, there's no way....the guy told me 3 weeks max and likely in 2 weeks." I'm trying to close my loan by Oct. 08 b/c I locked into a 6 month rate of 3% for 15 years back on April 08. It cost me $3,000 to secure the rate. Now, I'm not going to make it and my rate will be at least 0.5% higher - so $3,000 + $12,000 over 15 years = $15,000. Maybe I can get the power on by the end of this week, but I needed it on 2 weeks ago. I need the power to start hvac to bring in the hardwoods so they can acclimate for 4-5 days, then they can start on the cabinets and countertops. It's in God's hands and I just need to be thankful for a new home when it gets here. It's hard not to be angry when the contract says 4 months to build. We signed the contract back before Thanksgiving. The work didn't start until January. At least my wife and I have agreed on almost all of the decisions. It's been a good experience for the two of us working together. Our experience with the builder has not been so good. I hope that you all have a better overall experience. If you haven't signed a contract yet, discuss adding liquidated damages to the contract if the schedule is not met.

Bryan

o

Bryan-

I hate so much that you've had to deal with such frustrations! Hopefully, things will get back in gear and you will be enjoying your beautiful new home in a couple of months. This will be our third time to build- our first build had a lot of similar frustrations as yours. We learned some hard lessons, but went on to enjoy 9 great years In that home. I'm sure yours will work out for the good as well. Good luck! And keep us posted!

Terri

o

Some progress. Amazed at the unused space in upstair rooms. We took advantage and included as much in the rooms as possible and deleted the double closet doors to take advantage of wall space. I really like the living room.

o

Matt, looking forward to more pictures. We just staked out the house. Hoping to break ground by end of October! Have y'all made any changes to the original plan?

o

Small things that didn't change the curb appeal. We incorporated the small area in the garage into the house for a larger laundry room and a half bath. One change I would advise is to incorporate the small area in the garage between the entry door to the house and the back wall of the garage to enlarge the pantry. It needs to be changed before pouring the foundation, could have been changed but not a big deal to me.

o

Enjoying all these post, giving me a great perspective before building. Would love to see this home in person if any of you are near completion or recently completed. We live outside Fayetteville nc and willing to travel! If anyone is willing to give us a quick tour contact me by email and we'll go from there! Danajenks22@hotmail.com

o

The floors are finished. The cabinets should be as well. This pic was 2 days ago.

o

Bryan,

Love the floors and the cabinets look great! What kind of countertops will you be putting in? Keep the pictures coming:) You've got to be so excited...... moving day will be here before you know it!!!

o

Hi! My husband and I are planning on building this house in Maryland. We want to find out where you purchased your plans and what you had to do to get modifications made. Were you able to make modifications yourself or did you pay someone else to make them? If you didn't make the mods, then who made them for you?

o

Thanks Terri. We'll have granite countertops. Tropic brown in the kitchen and new venetian gold in the bathrooms. I'll post a pic of them when they are finished.

DMG, we bought our plans from houseplans.com. They had free shipping and no tax. The small changes we made were done by the builder. Good luck with your build.

o

Here are a couple pictures with the countertops in.

o

Master bath..

o

We are so excited. We have purchased the plans and are ready to get this house built. We live in southeastern Illinois. I love the design and so appreciate the pictures and comments you have all provided. I am thinking red siding with a weathered gray shutters and roof with white trim. I would love to hear your thoughts on the color scheme. I have pages of notes already for room colors, light fixtures and cabinets.

o

We are so excited. We have purchased the plans and are ready to get this house built. We live in southeastern Illinois. I love the design and so appreciate the pictures and comments you have all provided. I am thinking red siding with a weathered gray shutters and roof with white trim. I would love to hear your thoughts on the color scheme. I have pages of notes already for room colors, light fixtures and cabinets.

o

We're almost there (I think!). The front door was painted yesterday. We have grass growing in the backyard and in front of the porch. Here's what it looks like now. We hope to move in this weekend or next.

o

Sle-64 - you can go to Sherwin Williams website to their paint visualizer. Save my photo that I just loaded, then upload it to their paint tool. You can paint the house whatever color you like and see what it looks like (at least some idea). Hope this helps and good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paint Visualizer

o

Oh, yours is gorgeous! How exciting to be ready to move in. Good luck with your move! And thanks!!

o

Bryan -

So excited for you (and a little jealous too lol)..........Can't wait to be to this point in the process. Be sure and share some pictures soon of your new completed home! Can't wait to see all of the lighting fixtures, colors, etc. you have chosen. The outside looks beautiful:) Good luck on your move!

Terri

o

Matt123-

Would love to see an update on your build....... Do you have any new pics. you would be willing to share? :)

o

Always willing. I think we are in the slow stage??? My wife has been busy picking out the interior materials and colors. We have been spending lots of our time shopping but not buying things like lights and appliances. Crews still working but the enterior still looks the same as last month. The roof is completed and siding is on. I too have grass but only to keep the sand in place. We chose to have foam isulation which is more time consuming but should keep us a little more comfortable and save money on the electric bill. Honestly I haven't seen the house in two weeks. I'll post some pics but it might be a week or more.
    Brian, congrads on your build the house looks wonderful. Thanks again for your help.

o

Thanks Matt and good luck. We just bought our appliances a couple weeks ago. We bought them from H.H. Gregg. For those of you who don't know, they will negotiate with you. I was able to get ours $500 below the sale price or %15 off. They beat every other place (i.e. Sears, Best Buy, The Internet!) by a lot. We bought our washer and dryer for $550 each and Lowe's had the same ones on sale for $650 each.

o

Hey Guys - I am so excited to have found this post. We are also starting the building process of the Calabash Cottage in the next few months and are working on a few changes. We are considering converting the dining room into an office by closing off the opening between that room and the foyer and adding french doors. We also thought about closing off the door between the dining room and the kitchen to make room for more kitchen cabinets. Any thoughts? Does anyone think this would cause any flow issues? Thanks for any advise! The videos and pics have been super helpful by the way!

o

It sounds good to me. I don't think there will be any issues with the flow. I've seen several houses where the office is right beside the foyer. Of course you will be losing the dining room, but there is plenty of room for a table with 6 chairs in the breakfast area. I'll try and get a picture of our breakfast area on here next week. I would do it today, but we don't have internet service at the house as of yet.

o

Bryan - thank you for your response. Your house is beautiful! We've considered bumping out the breakfast area by about 4 foot to fit a larger table since we'd be giving up the dining room. Does that sound feasible?

o

Davis, we too deleted the door from dining room to kitchen to have more cabinets. The room over the garage is huge and well hidden so it probably would be more peaceful and quite. The roof over breakfast area is a maze of angles so be careful with those changes.

o

Davis, we too deleted the door from dining room to kitchen to have more cabinets. The room over the garage is huge and well hidden so it probably would be more peaceful and quite. The roof over breakfast area is a maze of angles so be careful with those changes.

o

Bryan - thank you for your response. Your house is beautiful! We've considered bumping out the breakfast area by about 4 foot to fit a larger table since we'd be giving up the dining room. Does that sound feasible?

o

Thanks Matt! I see on the photo that there is an open bay on the back of the garage. Is this for pulling a trailer through? My husband thought about doing the same thing. Did you extent the master bedroom? Any other suggestions on changes to make? Looks great!

o

I am so glad that I found this! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My husband and I plan on starting our Calabash Cottage next spring/summer. I would love to have someone's opinion on the sizes of the bedrooms. We have also thought about closing in the area above the great room to make a playroom. I would love to have any thoughts or opinions! I can't wait to see more photos.

o

Here are a few more pics. Kitchen:

o

Breakfast:

o

Dining:

o

BTW, really like the color of the house Matt.

o

We extended the master out 5', mainly just for a bigger closet. The last garage bay is open, this eliminated the need for a storage barn in the back yard for now. I wanted the door on the back to open it up to the back yard, not sure why I just thought it was a good idea.

o

Bryan, What color are your cabinets? I love them!

o

Thanks. They are "tapioca". The cabinets came from Atlanta by www.kandbsolutions.com. You can go there and see a photo gallery of tapioca and other colors.

o

Hello Matt, I love love love your exterior color and your metal roof!! This is a color combo I am considering. Would you be able to post a picture of the front of your home so I can see it? Thanks so much!!!

o

Here's a picture from the road this morning. We had about 5 inches on the ground here.

o

Bryan-

Very pretty! Looks like a postcard!

o

A few more weeks

o

Matt123

Love how your house is looking!!! PLEASE share some interior pics!! I know you are so excited to be this close to moving in...... Congrats!!!

Terri

o

Bump!!!!!........... Trying to get this back on the main page in hopes someone will see it and have some more interior pics to share!!!! :)

o

Here are a couple pics of the living room. I've had the cabinets up for a while, the tv for about a month, and finally all of the wires are hidden behind the wall.

o

Living room.

o

hi everyone my wife and I were thinking about building this same house. does anyone have there plans they would be willing to sell?

o

Ryan,

I believe we have a few extra copies. How many are you looking for? Email me, brandinconner@gmail.com, and we can discuss.

Thanks,
    Brandi

o

My husband and I are very excited to find this site. We are planning to start construction on our Calabash Cottage this fall. If anyone that is still in the process or that has finished would be willing to post more pictures it would be greatly appreciated!! Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter Sunday…

o

Any chance someone would be willing to talk numbers?!?

We just got an estimate back on this plan from a local builder here in SW Ohio, and it was (in my opinion) astronomically high at $385,000. Maybe I'm way off base, but I just can't see it being so much.

o

I always thought a good avg was $100/sqft. $385,000 does sound high if you are building 2,550 sqft ($151/sqft). Our contractor built our house for less than $100/sqft and this included a 30x36 garage. We are still working on the bonus room. When that is complete we will be under $90/sqft heated/cooled. These values include granite, hardwoods, 400’ driveway and large parking pad and some landscaping. Of course prices vary by location and a lot of times you get what you pay for. It won't hurt anything to get a couple more estimates. See how he compares.

o

I feel like I hit the lottery today finding this thread. I am building this house and should start pouring footers in a week or so. I made many of the changes that were outlined in the previous threads myself. I think that Bryan did an outstanding job adding value to this thread. I hope to add photos as we progress through our home construction.

o

We have shingles!! Getting closer every day! Hope to move in by august!

o

Garage side view

o

Back view with soon to b screened in porch off the breakfast room

o

HPorter7
    SO excited for you!! Keep us up to date.... after some "unexpected" changes (major job change) it looks like we will FINALLY be starting this home in August. We are getting bids and things lined up now. We love seeing everyone's progress and being inspired!!!

BStone924
    Congrats to you too!!!! Loved seeing your pics. Keep em coming!!!!

o

Herewegoagain, thanks for the vote of support.

All, I have had some difficulty with designing the heat and AC system for this house. Most AC contractors want to put three units; two downstairs and one upstairs. They say the issue is running the trunkline through the underside of the balcony. I am interested if others put two units downstairs or were your AC contractors able to do it with one downstairs.

o

We are only doing two units (1 up and 1 down).

What is everyone doing in the kitchen? Are y'all sticking with the plans or changing it up?

Here is an inside view of how we changed the windows in the living room.

o

We have 3.5 tons on the main floor and 1.5 tons upstairs. I'm having a mini split installed in the bonus room today.

o

Thanks for the AC feedback.

BStone, We followed the plans pretty close in the kitchen. The only thing that I changed was I had a wall oven drawn in into the cabinet closest to the dining room door and put a cook top where the plans have the range drawn in.

BStone, I really like the French doors there. We opted for the same thing. Yours look great.

o

BStone924-

In the kitchen area we are putting in a window seat on the back side by the eating area. I've always wanted one and this was a resent request I made in the midst of getting quotes (the guys just love when I do that...lol). But, I knew if I didn't I would regret it later. We also are adding 2 feet to the width of the kitchen area. We have a farmhouse style table and realized there wasn't enough room for the table and everyone to fit around it comfortably. This is our third build and there have been many lessons learned along the way. One is measuring the furniture you plan on using in the space before the build because plans can be very deceiving;)

One thing I've considered changing but can't decide about is the door between the kitchen and what they have labeled as the dining room. We are not formal people and have had dining rooms that went unused in previous homes. So we are going to be using that space as an office. My brain tells me I could better use the area of the doorway for storage/ additional cabinetry. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I'm really torn as to whether I'll regret closing that off or not. So glad to have someone to bounce these questions off!!:)

o

Thanks to all the participants on this thread! We are building this home and it's been super helpful. Our builder has been wonderful and we hope to be in the house by the end of next month (July). We are taking a craftsman approach with the exterior and elegant meets rustic on the interior. Our builder has found a few issues in the plans and the codes inspector even called in a structural engineer. Anyone else's builder catch things that HAD to be changed from the plans? It's added quite a bit of extra costs on to our anticipated spending.

o

I believe the beams over the foyer were undersized, but that is all I remember.

o

How exciting to find this site. It has already been extremely helpful as we are considering building the Calabash House in Central Texas. Did any if you build on a slab instead of a crawl space, or make the porch deeper? The porch is very narrow on the plan. Thank you for your response.

o

We left the porch as is but definitely debated on widening. It's so long that we felt there was ample room without the hassle of the roof changes required.

o

All, We are just starting to build our house. We have got the footers poured and will be setting blocks next week.
    Ron5110, we opted for a slab but we are going to form the slab 4 blocks high to give the home the appearance of being built on a sub-floor. Also when it comes to the porch, talk with your builder. I understand that the porch is 7' which is a key number when dimensioning the house all the way around.

o

I'm curious about the porches too. We were concerned that they wouldn't be deep enough to really enjoy. Would love to see some pictures of someone's finished porch to get a visual idea of it's depth. Please share if anyone is willing or has discussed this with your builder.
    Thanks!!

o

Here is ours.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
    • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
    • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
    • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
    • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
    • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
    • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
    • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here