Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herewegoagain_gw

William Poole Design- Calabash Cottage- Help Please!

Herewegoagain
11 years ago

Hi! After two years on the market, our house has finally sold!!! Yeah!!! Our next big issue, however, is finding a house plan to build. We have been searching for one the entire time we have had our house for sale. We had just about given up and decided we would go with an architect and draw our own..... But, we recently came across the Calabash Cottage by William Poole and my husband and I both fell in love. However, this will be our 3rd build and hopefully the one we stay in for quite some time. So, we would really love to find someone who has built it or knows where we might could find some interior pictures. If you can help we would love to know. Thanks so much in advance!

Comments (160)

• Matt123
    10 years ago

Davis, we too deleted the door from dining room to kitchen to have more cabinets. The room over the garage is huge and well hidden so it probably would be more peaceful and quite. The roof over breakfast area is a maze of angles so be careful with those changes.

• Matt123
    10 years ago

Davis, we too deleted the door from dining room to kitchen to have more cabinets. The room over the garage is huge and well hidden so it probably would be more peaceful and quite. The roof over breakfast area is a maze of angles so be careful with those changes.

{{!gwi}}

• davis101
    10 years ago

Bryan - thank you for your response. Your house is beautiful! We've considered bumping out the breakfast area by about 4 foot to fit a larger table since we'd be giving up the dining room. Does that sound feasible?

• davis101
    10 years ago

Thanks Matt! I see on the photo that there is an open bay on the back of the garage. Is this for pulling a trailer through? My husband thought about doing the same thing. Did you extent the master bedroom? Any other suggestions on changes to make? Looks great!

• stephaniedurham
    10 years ago

I am so glad that I found this! I have really enjoyed reading everyone's comments. My husband and I plan on starting our Calabash Cottage next spring/summer. I would love to have someone's opinion on the sizes of the bedrooms. We have also thought about closing in the area above the great room to make a playroom. I would love to have any thoughts or opinions! I can't wait to see more photos.

• -Bryan
    10 years ago

Breakfast:

• -Bryan
    10 years ago

Dining:

• -Bryan
    10 years ago

BTW, really like the color of the house Matt.

• Matt123
    10 years ago

We extended the master out 5', mainly just for a bigger closet. The last garage bay is open, this eliminated the need for a storage barn in the back yard for now. I wanted the door on the back to open it up to the back yard, not sure why I just thought it was a good idea.

• Renee0829
    10 years ago

Bryan, What color are your cabinets? I love them!

• -Bryan
    10 years ago

Thanks. They are "tapioca". The cabinets came from Atlanta by www.kandbsolutions.com. You can go there and see a photo gallery of tapioca and other colors.

• laurenb4_24
    10 years ago

Hello Matt, I love love love your exterior color and your metal roof!! This is a color combo I am considering. Would you be able to post a picture of the front of your home so I can see it? Thanks so much!!!

• -Bryan
    10 years ago

Here's a picture from the road this morning. We had about 5 inches on the ground here.

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bryan-

Very pretty! Looks like a postcard!

• Matt123
    10 years ago

A few more weeks

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Matt123

Love how your house is looking!!! PLEASE share some interior pics!! I know you are so excited to be this close to moving in...... Congrats!!!

Terri

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump!!!!!........... Trying to get this back on the main page in hopes someone will see it and have some more interior pics to share!!!! :)

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

Here are a couple pics of the living room. I've had the cabinets up for a while, the tv for about a month, and finally all of the wires are hidden behind the wall.

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

Living room.

• ryan_1234
    9 years ago

hi everyone my wife and I were thinking about building this same house. does anyone have there plans they would be willing to sell?

• bstone924
    9 years ago

Ryan,

I believe we have a few extra copies. How many are you looking for? Email me, brandinconner@gmail.com, and we can discuss.

Thanks,
    Brandi

• kbkeith
    9 years ago

My husband and I are very excited to find this site. We are planning to start construction on our Calabash Cottage this fall. If anyone that is still in the process or that has finished would be willing to post more pictures it would be greatly appreciated!! Hope everyone enjoyed their Easter Sundayâ¦

• HomegrownHudson
    9 years ago

Any chance someone would be willing to talk numbers?!?

We just got an estimate back on this plan from a local builder here in SW Ohio, and it was (in my opinion) astronomically high at $385,000. Maybe I'm way off base, but I just can't see it being so much.

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

I always thought a good avg was $100/sqft. $385,000 does sound high if you are building 2,550 sqft ($151/sqft). Our contractor built our house for less than $100/sqft and this included a 30x36 garage. We are still working on the bonus room. When that is complete we will be under $90/sqft heated/cooled. These values include granite, hardwoods, 400â driveway and large parking pad and some landscaping. Of course prices vary by location and a lot of times you get what you pay for. It won't hurt anything to get a couple more estimates. See how he compares.

• HPorter7
    9 years ago

I feel like I hit the lottery today finding this thread. I am building this house and should start pouring footers in a week or so. I made many of the changes that were outlined in the previous threads myself. I think that Bryan did an outstanding job adding value to this thread. I hope to add photos as we progress through our home construction.

• bstone924
    9 years ago

We have shingles!! Getting closer every day! Hope to move in by august!

• bstone924
    9 years ago

Garage side view

• bstone924
    9 years ago

Back view with soon to b screened in porch off the breakfast room

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HPorter7
    SO excited for you!! Keep us up to date.... after some "unexpected" changes (major job change) it looks like we will FINALLY be starting this home in August. We are getting bids and things lined up now. We love seeing everyone's progress and being inspired!!!

BStone924
    Congrats to you too!!!! Loved seeing your pics. Keep em coming!!!!

• HPorter7
    9 years ago

Herewegoagain, thanks for the vote of support.

All, I have had some difficulty with designing the heat and AC system for this house. Most AC contractors want to put three units; two downstairs and one upstairs. They say the issue is running the trunkline through the underside of the balcony. I am interested if others put two units downstairs or were your AC contractors able to do it with one downstairs.

• bstone924
    9 years ago

We are only doing two units (1 up and 1 down).

What is everyone doing in the kitchen? Are y'all sticking with the plans or changing it up?

Here is an inside view of how we changed the windows in the living room.

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

We have 3.5 tons on the main floor and 1.5 tons upstairs. I'm having a mini split installed in the bonus room today.

• HPorter7
    9 years ago

Thanks for the AC feedback.

BStone, We followed the plans pretty close in the kitchen. The only thing that I changed was I had a wall oven drawn in into the cabinet closest to the dining room door and put a cook top where the plans have the range drawn in.

BStone, I really like the French doors there. We opted for the same thing. Yours look great.

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

BStone924-

In the kitchen area we are putting in a window seat on the back side by the eating area. I've always wanted one and this was a resent request I made in the midst of getting quotes (the guys just love when I do that...lol). But, I knew if I didn't I would regret it later. We also are adding 2 feet to the width of the kitchen area. We have a farmhouse style table and realized there wasn't enough room for the table and everyone to fit around it comfortably. This is our third build and there have been many lessons learned along the way. One is measuring the furniture you plan on using in the space before the build because plans can be very deceiving;)

One thing I've considered changing but can't decide about is the door between the kitchen and what they have labeled as the dining room. We are not formal people and have had dining rooms that went unused in previous homes. So we are going to be using that space as an office. My brain tells me I could better use the area of the doorway for storage/ additional cabinetry. Anyone have any thoughts on this. I'm really torn as to whether I'll regret closing that off or not. So glad to have someone to bounce these questions off!!:)

• hawkiis
    9 years ago

Thanks to all the participants on this thread! We are building this home and it's been super helpful. Our builder has been wonderful and we hope to be in the house by the end of next month (July). We are taking a craftsman approach with the exterior and elegant meets rustic on the interior. Our builder has found a few issues in the plans and the codes inspector even called in a structural engineer. Anyone else's builder catch things that HAD to be changed from the plans? It's added quite a bit of extra costs on to our anticipated spending.

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

I believe the beams over the foyer were undersized, but that is all I remember.

• Ron5110
    9 years ago

How exciting to find this site. It has already been extremely helpful as we are considering building the Calabash House in Central Texas. Did any if you build on a slab instead of a crawl space, or make the porch deeper? The porch is very narrow on the plan. Thank you for your response.

• hawkiis
    9 years ago

We left the porch as is but definitely debated on widening. It's so long that we felt there was ample room without the hassle of the roof changes required.

• HPorter7
    9 years ago

All, We are just starting to build our house. We have got the footers poured and will be setting blocks next week.
    Ron5110, we opted for a slab but we are going to form the slab 4 blocks high to give the home the appearance of being built on a sub-floor. Also when it comes to the porch, talk with your builder. I understand that the porch is 7' which is a key number when dimensioning the house all the way around.

• Herewegoagain
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm curious about the porches too. We were concerned that they wouldn't be deep enough to really enjoy. Would love to see some pictures of someone's finished porch to get a visual idea of it's depth. Please share if anyone is willing or has discussed this with your builder.
    Thanks!!

• -Bryan
    9 years ago

Here is ours. I believe this discussion has maxed out at 150 posts. See the link to Part 2 of the Calabash Cottage below the picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: PART 2 - Calabash Cottage

This post was edited by -Bryan on Tue, Oct 28, 14 at 8:15

• melissabyrne124
    8 years ago

Can anyone tell me how many square yards of concrete for the foundation?

• P. Byrne
    8 years ago

Aprox 110 CU/YRD without the garage and basement floor if you do 10' wall heights.

• nena954
    8 years ago

Has anyone changed the plan to put a third bedroom upstairs?

• melissabyrne124
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

yes, I have. We added a full length dormer and finished the "open to below" area. It came out great...

• Cami Bozeman
    8 years ago

-bryan, do you have any more videos you could upload walking through the completed house?? My husband and I are really intrigued with how it will look in real time :):)

• canvascross
    8 years ago

I would also like to see the completed pics/video. We are considering building this house as well.

• PRO
    CharlestonJohn
    7 years ago

I came across this thread while looking for info on William Poole designed homes for a client. Thanks for all the postings.... for those who own the WP home... are you happy with the quality?

• Tony H
    7 years ago

My husband and I are wanting to build this in the central Texas area and we are wondering if anyone has already completed building this home in the area?