Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dennydine

shutter dilema!

DennyDine
10 years ago

So, our plans are just about done! however, there seems to be just one HUGE dilemma left: whether or not to do shutters. The house is a nantucket-coastal-craftsman style, so we do not want to stray too far from the style. Any input would be great!

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• AllieBr8
    10 years ago

Beautiful home!! This is SUCH a big decision I agree...some people are so against them...some can't go without them. I think it's beautiful without...but I think it would add the to the curb appeal. I wouldn't do on all window or do too many...just a few select front windows. You could always have architect add them to your drawings look at the two drawings and pick. Or have him add them to drawings and wait til it's built and decide to add them or not. I'll be so scared when it comes down to us making this same decision...yes or no to shutters and what kind of shutters. aye! Oh the fun!!

• chispa
    10 years ago

Skinny fake shutters will fit on some of your windows, but if you do correctly sized shutters for your windows they will be tight on most of the windows and not fit at all on a few of the windows. I vote NO shutters.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I don't really get nantucket coastal out of the design....I see a little more craftsman....so I vote no shutters. The facade is busy enough as it is.

• LuAnn_in_PA
    10 years ago

No shutters!

• palimpsest
    10 years ago

No shutters. They would only look real on the one non-paired window on the left-hand end of the garage façade.

• athensmomof3
    10 years ago

No shutters. You really shouldn't do them on double windows. The rule of thumb for purists is that the shutter should be half the width of the window and mounted as if it should close and cover the window. I am not a fan of skinny shutters on double windows so I vote no.

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

I agree with the majority here-- I wouldn't do shutters. If it were my house, I'd replace the hipped roof with a gable too. Hipped roofs are trendy now, but I don't think it fits with the rest of your house.

• User
    10 years ago

I agree. No shutters and ditch the hip. And I hope all of the texture shown is either actual cedar shakes or fiber cement ones.

• jsfox
    10 years ago

I'll pile on. I think shutters would look quite silly. They'd be completely out of proportion to the windows and out of character if you're trying to achieve something Nantucket.

There are traditional hip roofs in Nantucket, but not that I know of on shingle style homes and never would they be a continuation of a gable that would leave as much unbroken roof surface, and of two sections, as in your second pic. Yes, ditch the hip, but also pull your two front facing gables in from the edges a few feet so that they are distinct from the main structure.