Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kat81_gw

Help deciding on pony wall divider or an arch

kat81
10 years ago

So currently we have a pony wall divider that is 5' x 1'(including columns)...i am worrying that it is too small to look good, so i am considering just making one big arch separating living and kitchen...
note: cant make the living room any bigger

Please help deciding, thanks

Comments (9)

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago
  • renovator8
    10 years ago

An arch suggests a separation of the spaces rather than actually separating them like the low wall would. You need to decide how much separation you think is appropriate.

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

well to me the problem is in the dimensions of the divider...it seems too small to look good, so i wonder if arch would look more proportional to the space?

• auroraborelis
    10 years ago

I think a low wall is going to look too small, and honestly a bit silly, and dated.

The picture you posted posted would fit the space very well!

Here is the picture so others don't need to click the link

(btw, you can right click on any houzz image and copy the text to embed the photo in a message on garden web). Just copy and paste!)

[Traditional Kitchen[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by Birmingham General Contractor Structures, Inc.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I would decide on rotating the kitchen island only from the functionality point of view...how do you work in your kitchen? Where do you spend most of your time? You are going to want the long side of the island most accessible from where you work. If it were my kitchen, I probably would want to rotate it because I'd want my working side to be closer to the cooktop and further away from the clean-up sink. I would probably also want to face out to the windows in the bkfst nook when I'm working rather than facing the interior space.

Not sure what that appliance is on the lower left, but that's where I'd put the fridge and then add a prep sink to the island so my work triangle is nice and tight and the clean up area is out of my way. In fact, that is exactly how I laid out my kitchen and it works beautifully for us.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Regarding the opening, I think as drawn, it would be too constricting. I might want to borrow from the craftsman design and separate the 2 columns so the center opening is larger. Then add glass fronted bookcases, maybe about 42" high, between the wall and the column on each side to be used for display purposes. It would give the rooms a little visual separation and definition without obstructing the flow and the sense of spaciousness.

The above is not strictly craftsman....they tend to be more of the tapered columns of which there are examples in houzz.... I just don't happen to like tapered columns...

• kat81
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! I slept on it and decided that we will rotate the island and do either cased opening or arch instead... What do you think will look better?

• rosie
    10 years ago

Is the arch echoing or setting a theme? Do you need a straight line there?

Annie's picture is very handsome. You don't say how long the opening will be, but if you're not considering adding short wing walls on each side, solid or semiopen, it might be worth it. They'd be very helpful in arranging furniture comfortably, perhaps for a more inviting chair by the fireplace. If no bookcases, you'd have a nice little wall on the right side long enough to decorate.

It should also actually make the house feel a little larger because there'd be more than a quick swing around the corner separating people coming from the bedroom hall to the kitchen. An illusion-destroying, too quick transition from one world to another only four inches away can be avoided. The cabinet depth is a good start, and adding another couple feet to create a wall long enough to actually do something living-roomish with, a chest topped with art for instance, would continue it.

I agree rotating the island should work much better for you as the cook. It'll also save the people at the counter from presenting their backs to those in the family room and the typical straining around to talk. Looking nice.

• User
    10 years ago

Definitely rotate the island. And don't miss out on the key to making that work: ADD the prep sink to the island. Moving the fridge would be optional for me, as where it's located, it consolidates all of the food storage functions in one spot

The traffic pattern in the kitchen is also rather static and closed off. It could benefit from a doorway to the hall in the lower right corner. With your large pantry, you won't miss the lost storage, but you will appreciate the better flow that it will give you in the kitchen.