Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
living room size

Posted by Glenn_ks (My Page) on
Sun, May 11, 14 at 20:33

Living room size

How small is too small for a living room. Here is ours and I am thinking it will end up being too small. There are only two of us but for company and holidays there just doesn't seem like there could be enough seating. I am also not sure on how to lay out the furniture. Should it be 2 or 4 feet larger?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: living room size

My current living room is 17'x13'. I've had as many as 12 people in here, comfortably, at one time.

I'd put a sectional couch in the top left corner, a chair or 2 in the bottom corner, a few cushions on the hearth for extra seating, and a few ottomans. You can also bring in chairs from the dining room to fill up empty spots if you still have more bums.

o

The problem isn't the room size, it's that all of the traffic paths through it make it about 5' smaller than the room size. And then thaere is that space eating corner fireplace that swallows space in the other direction. It leaves you about 6x6 that's actually usable. Thewhole room needs a redesign.

o

Thanks for your posts and I agree holly. I moved the fireplace to the corner so when you come in the front door it is in line of sight snd also it is visible from the dining area but it takes a lot if room out with an inside flue chase. An inside flue chase is easier to seal in a log home. What is worse is as you suggest the traffic patterns.

o

Could you flip the fireplace to the other side? That might help with traffic patterns...

o

Thanks lavender lass. It would lend better for furniture without changing the size of the room. I guess I need to play with cutout furniture .

o

I'd put the fireplace where the triple window is located. Put a couple large windows flanking the fireplace which will leave the wall on the right open for another item(s) (TV, artwork?).

o

I think Holly is right.

It is a PRETTY room, but due to all of the traffic patterns my hunch is yes, it would feel "small."

Small is ok, by the way. You can make small feel cozy and home-ish, and that room could be wonderful for 2 people. It all depends on how you plan to use it, and whether you've got any other rooms (another family room, maybe) that could help.

o

I don't have anything to add at this point except to say I'll be interested how your project progresses. We built a Lazarus log home last year - it was quite the adventure! Keep us posted, please!

o

Would you consider a wood stove instead? You could put it in the corner formed by the staircase with the stove pipe running up adding heat to the entire building, and then you'd have a large area out of way of traffic for plenty of seating.

They can be quite attractive, far more energy efficient and with glass fronts offer a lovely view if the fire.

We love our wood stove and use it all the time.

Or I suppose you could build a central chimney for a fireplace and wrap the staircase around it....

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, May 14, 14 at 10:58

o

Wow I want to thank everyone for their inputs.I had just found this site and had asked a question about my blue bird houses. The fireplace could be put in the center, I guess one reason I didn't besides the line of site view from the front door is we would loose some of the windows to look out to the woods and the creek. I cleaned up a first floor plan so you can see the complete layout. We are hoping to start this major endeavor next year.

o

There is a loft that the stairs go to. I also hadn't considered putting the fireplace by the stairs.It shouldn't be too bad blocking the view from the loft in that it would be by the stairs. I have seen them like this before but for some reason I never thought of changing the location of it. I do think I would like it there or in the opposite corner better than its current location and that would open the living room up a good deal without changing its size.

o

deleted

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, May 15, 14 at 7:57

o

It looks like this is going to be your primary living room then, correct?

If so, where would your seating go? And if there is going to be a television in this room, I think you're really going to have problems with furniture placement.

Like I said, I think it is a really pretty room - but I know based on the way I live it wouldn't work for me at all. I want a couch, 2 side chairs, and a television in my living/family room and I'm just not sure you have the room for all of that in that pretty but little room. :)

Measure out how length/width of your furniture, and then plan for all the walk-ways too....and I think you'll see the problem.

o

You might also put some "furniture" in the dining room...it's got 4 door ways and if you want a table with chairs in there, you're going to want to be sure to get around them somehow...

o

Hi Annie. Its just a little over 6 foot wide. There are several reasons we had it a little wider. We wanted side glass on both sides of the door to let light in. I had a guest closet there at first but took it out to make the bedroom on the left larger. We will get an antique hall tree to put by the door which will take some room out of the hall. We may put a water feature there also. I didnt want to feel like your in a tunnel when you enter the home. It will also give guests room to take coats off and not feel crowded.

o

Well, your foyer hallway is bigger than your mud room...when building a small house, you want the most efficient use of sq ft and hallways typically are not one of them...

It also looks uncomfortable for me, if I'm in the 2nd bedroom to have to walk by the front door to go potty at night....

o

Thanks again Patriceny and Annie. Yes the living room will be the main room to "live" in. With the foyer being 6' wide instead of 4', I do know what your saying in that its "wasted" space, but we also have an antique table 2' x 5' that will go at the foot of the stairs and that will leave 4' between. I did not want to have a hallway feeling when you entered the home which would be easy to do with this plan. The bedroom on the left, technically will be a quilting room.I will consider everyones input and try some furniture cutouts to see where I will need to make changes. You have given me some good ideas that I didn't think about even after staring at this for many hours it seems.We were trying to keep a small footprint but include some of the things we wanted.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here