Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
white vinyl or natural wood veneer interiors on white cabinets?

Posted by graceshan (My Page) on
Fri, May 4, 12 at 20:15

Our cabinet maker is running a promo whereby we can get natural wood veneer for the same price as white vinyl for our cabinet interiors (they are painted white maple shaker cabinets).

I had originally picked white vinyl because I just thought it would look better. Now that I hear the veneer costs more I'm doubting myself. Any thoughts as to which is better?

Thanks!
Shannon

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: white vinyl or natural wood veneer interiors on white cabinet

I think the natural wood would look better...but maybe that is because that is what is inside my cabs! Not sure which would function better.

o

I've always had stained cabinets, but I've had both white vinyl and wood interiors. Much prefer the wood. The vinyl I had tended to chip, and the vinyl coating would pull away on the edges. I'm sure what I had was probably low end (25 years ago), so that may have been the problem.

o

Neither. Vinyl is a cheap crappy way to finish a cabinet interior. Wood can be problematic with water resistance and roughness. The ideal material for a cabinet interior is high pressure melamine, whether white to match the exterior, or a natural maple as is done on most cabinetry. It's super easy to maintain with just a wipe. It's water resistant, and it's durable. And it's not a high cost either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here