Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
larakbeck

Things to do/plan while waiting on architect

Lara
10 years ago

Hi! I've been a lurker for a while on the forum and have received so many excellent ideas - thank you all! I hope to become a more active participant now!

We are in the beginning stages of building our home - owner/builder style, and we're currently waiting on the architect to complete the plans. I've been trying to make good use of the time by doing research on permits, gathering design ideas, starting the budget sheet, identifying contractors for bids, putting our project plan together, etc - I'm a project manager by day in the software industry so of course that's the first thing I did. :) (if anyone wants a copy of the draft project plan that I have so far in MS Project, I'm happy to share. I created it by combining bits and pieces from all different sources. And I can export to Excel if you don't have MS Project).

Anyway, I wanted to see if any of you have any input on what other things I can be working on while we're waiting on the architect. Any gotchas that we can start planning for now to save us pain later on?

Thanks again!!

Comments (25)

• zone4newby
    10 years ago

If you're going to be borrowing money, it would be good to get in touch with your banker, and work on putting together the paperwork for that.

• virgilcarter
    10 years ago

Yep, get your financing--pin down how the construction loan will be pegged to the construction cost, usually based on the lender's appraisal. And how the temporary construction load will be rolled to a permanent mortgage.

Good luck with your project.

• zkgardner
    10 years ago

Hi!

I'm in the same boat as you so no real advice, but can't wait to hear what you get.

Would you mind sharing your plan with me? If so, I'll message you my email.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

There are only about a zillion decisions ahead of you, so the more you can make sooner, the better off you will be. A lot of them will have to be somewhat flexible given budget constraints or physical constraints, but having them made will give you some direction and goals.

I started a "blue book" early on and it was a life saver. It was a notebook with tabs in it and plastic pocket pages. One tab was exterior, one was kitchen, one was family room, etc. etc. In it went drawings, sketches, dimensions, paint chips, fabric samples, inspiration pics from magazines, business cards, supplier quotes and anything else having to do with the specifics of each room. I never went to a meeting or to the building site without it as it had so many answers in one place. It was the communication tool with the builder and trades.

The most critical factor to getting the house done right is communication, and this tool was invaluable.

• Kathy Harrington
    10 years ago

Hi, I agree with all of the suggestions above, as well as we also found a builder we really liked at around the same time as the architect and together the three of us have been working on a plan that we like and can afford to build. It's a little unusual to do that, but in this case, it has worked out well for us. Have fun, it's such an exciting time

• qbryant
    10 years ago

I would love to see your plan sheet, I am getting started in the planing phase also.
    Quintonjenn@yahoo.com

• Lara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you so much everyone! I have now starting putting several of these ideas into action.

qbryant and mrsfireman - I sent you the plan via email.

• scrapbookheaven
    10 years ago

I second the idea of a book to keep things organized. Although, by the end of my house building project, I think I ended up with five notebooks. (Project ideas, building info, financial information, e-mail print outs, and pictures that I took. Now I have a separate one for landscaping.)

Take notes at every meeting. That saved my bacon several times. My builder stopped taking notes because I did a better job at it and just asked me to e-mail him my notes. As I went along, I printed out every e-mail and put it in a separate binder.

Make a list of what you will need to take pictures of along the way. (Site, excavation, footings, etc. Make sure you take pictures of plumbing and electrical before the wall are covered up. It can be a real big help later on.)

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

dreamhome-I'd love to see it too. You can email me through my link on here. I have started a large expandable folder but right now it's all ideas and nothing concrete while we wait for plans as well.

• s_dipity
    10 years ago

I am in a similar situation right now. I am also a PM in IT in my 2nd job. The 1st job is building floor plans :). I will appreciate if you could please email me your MS Project file. Good Luck.

• Renee0829
    10 years ago

Dreamhome - I would love to see your plan sheet, I am getting started in the planing phase also. renee.pingel@gmail
    Thanks!

• nancy.ramos
    10 years ago

Dreamhome - I would like to see your project plan as well. My email: nancyramos98@hotmail.com

Thanks!

• davejayme
    10 years ago

Hi Dreamhome 2013
    I am in a similar stage as many of those who responded. Can you email me a copy of your draft project plan. (excel if possible)

• Lara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good afternoon to those of you who recently requested the plan. I will be sending it shortly... :)

• DLM2000-GW
    10 years ago

Can you please add me to the list Dreamhome? I appreciate it so much. You can email through the link here. Thanks so much!

Deb

• Candy2014
    10 years ago

@Dreamhome - May I also get a copy of your plan via email please? It sure would be helpful. Thanks.

• pwanna1
    10 years ago

I'd love a copy too if you'd be willing to share with me as well. :)

• jenniekehr
    10 years ago

Dreamhome, can yo also send me the link? jenniekehr@yahoo.com

• Lara
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi all - for those of you who provided your email address in the body of your response, you've got mail. If you didn't provide your email, please provide it in the body of your response to the post. With so many people asking for this, it's a lot of extra work for me to go into each person's profile to look up their email address. If you just put it here, I can quickly copy and paste and send everyone one email. Thanks!

• davejayme
    10 years ago

Hi dreamhome2013

My email address is daveljaymel@aol.com. thanks for all your effort!

• davejayme
    10 years ago

Hi dreamhome2013

My email address is daveljaymel@aol.com. thanks for all your effort!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

dreamhome- I didn't think of that...mine is lrtheo4 at gmail dot com.

Thanks!

Lisa

• indydcomp
    9 years ago

dreamhome2013 - would you mind sharing your excel plan with me at compton.derrick at gmail dot com

thanks,
    Derrick

• IWillLiveThroughIt
    9 years ago

I would love a copy of your plan (in excel please).

anewhomeforsteph@gmail.com

Thanks!

• Aims
    9 years ago

I would like a copy of your plan. In Excel if possible. Thanks! I_love_jesus82@yahoo.com.