Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_4_gw

Elevation balanced - but busy? Opinions

autumn.4
10 years ago

We are scheduled to meet with the house designer in a couple of weeks and he recommended we bring any photos of elevations that we like to get a feel for our taste in homes.

I stumbled across this one from Garrell (it's the Boulder Brook Lodge) linked below. Big picture I like it. When I start looking at the pieces of it I feel it's busy or 'too much'.

I guess I'm just soliciting opinions. The 'look' in words that we are hoping to achieve is somewhat cottage but without frills and fancy? I like quaint and welcoming but not overdone and yet not plain jane. The home setting is wooded.

Likes: I like that is feels balanced to me with the bump out or one story wing on the side balancing out the angled garage. I also like the dormers but would prefer they be REAL and not just for looks. I prefer shed dormers and like those on the garage but we will not have a bonus room so likely a wasted cost.

Concerns: I cannot find it anywhere built with an actual photo of it but for I am thinking it could be really busy or fussy. I think the peaks with the beams is too much and there are too many elements - shake, siding and stone, double door, too many columns? It's hard for me to visualize as an image like this. It is a bit on the larger side so our home will be smaller from the get go by about 3-500 square feet.

Any thoughts on how to simplify this without losing the balance and cottage feel that my eye is drawn to?

Thank you for your time and thoughts.

Here is a link that might be useful: Boulder Brook Lodge by Garrell & Assoc.

Comments (3)

• jennybc
    10 years ago

I agree on the peaks being busy but not horribly so. Do you like the exterior or the layout within?

When I saw the picture I thought of this: http://www.simplyeleganthomedesigns.com/Excelsior_Farmhouse_Cottage_House_Plan.html

Love their clean lines.

• bridget helm
    10 years ago

it's definitely busy. a few too many rooflines.

is your lot wide enough to have a side entrance garage? if so, i would definitely do that rather than front entrance. garage doors are so big, that they never look quite right and throw the balance off. our lot is not wide enough, but i tried and tried to get a side entry, but it was too forced. as to the angled garage, i don't like it. it looks awkward

here are a few craftsman styled homes that are a little less fussy

{{gwi:1448586}}

{{gwi:1448588}}

{{gwi:1448589}}

not craftsman, but simple and warm. wood look nice on wooded lot

totally different, but if you like a southern cottage look. well, this is bigger than a cottage, but it's got that southern cottage charm

• autumn.4
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I forgot to add - one reason we are drawn to it is because it doesn't have a definite defined 2 story look from the outside. We kind of like the look of a ranch but have it actually be a 2 story with possibly a shed dormer or something out the back. Hard to explain. I like the is it a 2 story or not from the road look where you really can't be sure until you are in it. I really like Annie Deighnaugh's elevation too (4th image down) but with a 2nd floor under the roof somewhere, simple right? Ha!

jennybc-I found it while looking for exterior pics but the layout is similar to what we are envisioning but we will need 2 beds and a bath upstairs as well. Overall I do like the positioning of most of the rooms in the layout (but don't prefer the living, dining, kitchen all in a row). The master bath/closet area is huge though - definitely too large for what we are thinking. Thanks for the link! This forum is great for jogging others memories of things they have seen that are similar and very helpful!

bmh-as far as lot size, yes and no. We probably DO have the space but aren't willing to clear the trees needed to do it. Our thought right now is to have the house somewhat secluded from the road and as you drive up you veer to the right where the garage would be so as you approach you see the house and not just garage. That is sort of a sticking point - do not want people to pull up and see only the garage in front of them. With the way the existing drive is that is what would happen with a side load garage. We also have a couple very large oaks that we are trying to keep. Thank you for the images! I like the first one and then the yellow one and the all brick one even though they are visually definitely both 2 story homes.

Thank you! I am getting nervous/excited to get started. We are putting our current home on the market this week as well - exhausted from that process too!

Anyone else?