Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

My whitewash saga..

pps7
13 years ago

I'm just going to start a new thread about this since I've been obsessing about this forever. That way I can document the process here and those of you who are sick of hearing about it can just skip this thread :)

We did a few samples. I ordered the whitewash from U.S. Heritage. They have a "white" but I was worried it would be too bright white, so they made an ivory as a custom color. They were super nice.

Here's the white:

Here's the ivory:

Here they are next to each other:

I definately prefer the ivory. But this is only one coat!!! It's obviously on too heavy- we definately want more of the brick to show through. I don't think the brick was wet enough either. Live and Learn. We are going to continue to play around with it. Put it on real thin and rag some of it off.

The look we are going for:

Comments (25)

• nutherokie_gw
    13 years ago

Oh, the ivory is pretty! Much softer and more aged looking than the pure white. Do the U.S. Heritage people have any advice as to how to let more of the brick show through?

• User
    13 years ago

Thanks so much for posting this. I have 3.5 gallons of the US Heritage white lime wash waiting to go on my rental property. I have been waiting for several consecutive days of 70 degree weather without rain or lacrosse games so I can get this done.

I also prefer the ivory with the single coat but can't say for sure without seeing more coverage. Do you think the white actually has a grey appearance?

I think US Heritage said 3-8 really thin coats are better than thicker coats. Also you use your hose to unevenly wear sections to give the impression of age. Good luck and keep posting. Someone on the paint forum has been waiting for me to get this done. I will direct them over here.

• User
    13 years ago

I just realized it was you on the paint forum when I went over there to leave a link.

See, now you are the one giving me information. I am happy to see how great the coverage is. Maybe I only need 2 coats after all. Although I don't have a lot of brick to do, the chimney is really high and I need my husband to hold the ladder. So in addition to waiting on weather, I need his presence as well.

Thanks for showing the samples. Do you think the white would go with weathered cedar?I wasn't expecting it to look as grey. Cedar shakes are on the rest of the house.

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm having trouble explaining to my painter that I want an uneven/aged look. He keeps applying the whitewash too heavy so that you cannot see any of the brick. This weekend DH and I tried to experiment a bit on our own.

I like the way the inside of this pony wall turned out.

This section needs a better transitions from the heavy to lighter areas so we went back and added some more. We'll see how it looks tommorrow. It is really hard to judge as you're applying since it doesn't turn white until a few hours later.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Another tip I read from an architect talking about whitewash is that they like to apply it so it looks like it has washed away with age, so areas hit by rain / sun lighter than those that arent, and horizontal surfaces (sills, jut outs of chimney) lighter to reflect the weather patterns and give an immediate patina.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1448424}}

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i have a friend who sandblasted his brick after it was over painted. i know nothing about this, so in the even i sound like an idiot, please forgive! ...anyway, his looked really good. he could control the amount of white wash that was left. i can't wait to see your brick!

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just wanted to post a follow-up we've done a light 1st coat of whitewashing. Some touch up needs to be done(we ran out, I ordered more) for areas missed but I don't think we're going ot do a 2nd coat. It was immpossible to get exactly the look of my inspiration picture so we decided to just whitewash it lightly and let nature do it's thing. Over the next few years it should wear off unevenly on it's own. Now that the house is all white, the landscaping definately needs to be done. Hopefully we will start that next week. A few questions:
    -I left the headers clean, without any whitewash, I like it. DH think we should white wash.
    - shutters? The architect had drawn shutters into our plan and I think it will add to the cottage look.

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

Love the following house which is now on the market in Atlanta, inside and out! It was an inspiration for our house for sure. The jack arches over the windows are less whitewashed than the overall house but I think they still have some whitewash. I think you can right click on an individual picture to stop the virtual tour and look more closely. . .

Here is a link that might be useful: Argonne Drive

• Kathy Beebe
    13 years ago

pps7,

I like your style. I love the idea of a new old house and I'm going to do my best to get the look and feel in my new build. Very cool and excellent job on the house.

How many acres do you have? I've seen some window shots of your lot and it looks great but it's just a tease. Would you mind posting here or on a seperate thread some wide angle shots of your home on your lot? Thanks and great job on your home!

• homeagain
    13 years ago

pps7,

Love your garage doors. What brand are they? Are they wood or wood-look?

Thanks!

• allison0704
    13 years ago

Great job, pps7. The link athensmom supplied does look whitewashed slightly on the front of home. But on back veranda shot, above the window was not done.

I like yours as is, but if you decide to whitewash, I would dilute, dilute, dilute. You can always practice on an end (not easily seen) window. Look at it for a few days, and add more if desired. Easier to add, then delete.

The brick we used around windows, bottom of doors/windows and brick arches came with a whitewash/old look. I like the way it looks on our home. We used stone above the windows/doors.

• juddgirl2
    13 years ago

I haven't seen pics of the outside of your house before - I really like your style!

I'm looking for exterior lanterns similar to yours but having trouble finding some that aren't overly ornate. Where did you get yours?

• deegw
    13 years ago

It looks great. As far as doing the window trim in whitewash, it would be nice to see a long view of the house to get the whole effect. From close up, I like how it emphasizes your windows but from the street it might appear busy or distracting.

Plus ... I'd love to see more pictures of your house!

• athensmomof3
    13 years ago

As far as the shutters go, I like shutters and think they can add a lot to a house if they are done properly (i.e., at least look operational, will cover the windows when closed, etc.). These requirements meant that we put shutters only on the second story, for the most part (we have one on a tiny square window on our garage). We have window width narrow french doors with panels at the bottom and shutters of the proper width just did not fit so we eliminated them - it looks fine on paper but I hope this is the right decision!!!

• pps7
    Original Author
    13 years ago

homeagain, they are real cedar. We purchased them from a local garage door place.

juddgirl2, the lanterns are Maxim, Madison collection. I really like them but I wish I had gotten them in the bigger size for the garage. I ordered them from lightingdirect.

As far as shutters, we would only use them on appropiate windows. Any ideas on colors? We are leaning towards a nice green-gray, like BM fieldstone but darker or F&B french gray but darker. The architect drew the front elevation with shutters. Will post more pics one the whitewash is complete and landscaping done. Hopfully in the next 2 weeks.

Here is a link that might be useful: maxim lantern

• chiefneil
    13 years ago

Apropos of nothing, your post reminded me of my previous house where our landscaper used some beautiful recycled mexican brick to separate our yard from a common area in the HOA.

It had the nice aged whitewash look you're looking for, which is why I thought of it. Sadly, a few months later our HOA decided all common areas must be separated by extruded concrete borders, so they came and tore out my beautiful (and expensive!) brick and poured cement!

• ljeff2
    10 years ago

HELP! I'd like to use the ivory color limewash that pps7 shows in the post. However, when I contacted U.S. Heritage they said I would need to either get permission from pps7 to use that color or would need to get the USHG#.

PPs7, if you see this could you post or send me that info if you have it? Or, could you call Ty at US Heritage and tell him it's OK for Linda J. in Arlington VA to use your ivory color?. Please let me know that you've contacted him so that I can follow-up. If anyone else sees this that knows the formula for the ivory color please post it.

Thanks so much!

• autumn.4
    10 years ago

ljeff-try emailing pps through the site by clicking pps7 that is underlined in the post....or start a new thread calling out pps7.

• pps7
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Got your message. I'll try and dig up the number.

• ljeff2
    10 years ago

Great!!! Thanks so much pps7. And thank you also Autumn.4.

• bostoncaroline
    9 years ago

I have an old brick fireplace made from reddish used bricks.....they have BLACK mortar, and lots of character ......paint, black marks etc.
    I'd like to white wash but the black grout is challenging. Thoughts?

I have not started the fireplace but the second picture shows my attempt at whitewash. Need some feedback before I continue.....I would prefer whitewash to paint but not sure I like the look!

• bostoncaroline
    9 years ago

Here is the second pic.....

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

Caroline, am I mistaken, or have you just painted the faces of the bricks and left the mortar black?

Or is your issue that you painted everything, but the dark grout is absorbing too much and still looking black?

If you have painted the grout as well as the face of the bricks, what about painting the grout with paint, wiping off anything that gets on the face of the brick. Then do the whitewash over top?

• bostoncaroline
    9 years ago

I did whitewash face of brick first and then the grout. It is very black and porous/ rough. With heavier paint it didn't rub off well and looked quite white painted. With the 1/1 mix it lightened slightly as in the pic .

I will try your suggestion and post thanks