Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seeking Feedback on Home Plans

Posted by CRHBobby (My Page) on
Thu, May 15, 14 at 19:48

Hello,

I am in the midst of building a home this fall. Currently, I am working on getting 4 acres of farm land subdivided out of a 40 acre tract.

I have been lurking for the last couple of months - reading all sorts of topics on here about home building.

We have narrowed our home plans to two. One is a ranch...and one is a 2 story. Either will have a walk out basement foundation (unfinished). The ranch is 2661 square feet, and the 2 story is 3,050. The builder quoted both houses in brick for the same price (within 1K). (rough estimate) Either way we go, the garage will be a 3 car.

I am curious to hear people's opinions on layout of these two plans.

Ranch: http://www.homeplans.com/plan-detail/HOMEPW06839/sweet-dreams

2 Story http://www.homeplans.com/plan-detail/HOMEPW12862/strikingly-spacious

We are looking to make a change to the 2 story... The laundry room would become a large walk in pantry. The laundry room would then be put into bedroom 4 upstairs. This would cause us to delete the bathroom for bedroom 4.

The ranch home plans feature a large kitchen, which I like. It seems like the house is vary centralized - however, it seems there is a lot of space wasted in hall ways.

I am curious to hear your feedback and questions. Thank you everyone for your time.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seeking Feedback on Home Plans

Oddly enough, my home is very similar to the ranch home plan you attached. Many on here will not like the plan because it has a very complicated and expensive roof line. We love our home. A few items:

1.) No coat closet when you walk in the front door. This may not be an issue where you are at. Your plan has a very small closet near the garage entrance which may help but that appears to be a VERY small closet

2.) The plan does not show basement stair access so you will need to find a spot for that. We put ours between the garage and laundry room.

3.) the plan (and our house unfortunately) does not provide much garage entrance room/drop zone. When you walk in from the garage with big bulky items/groceries its a bit of a tight squeeze.

4.) We deleted the 2nd island in the kitchen. We found it completely unnecessary and more of an obstacle then anything

5.) we increased the size of the covered patio which has postitives and negatives. Our patio goes all the way to the bathroom in BR 2. This did decrease the amount of natural light however

6.) the master closets are smaller then you think. We changed the entire layout of the bath/closet area. We only have one closet but its larger then the 2 in this plan

7.) may be a non-issue for you but take a look at the bedroom window configurations. The plan does not allow for much large BR furniture placement without placing it infront of a window. This can be alleviated if you are using smaller windows but we have larger windows that go down below the height of most of our furniture and we are not a fan of seeing the backs of dressers/head boards/chests through the window.

Here's a few pictures:
Patio:
 photo photo11.jpg

Kitchen/Nook:
 photo kitchen.jpg

o

Another picture:

photo photo9.jpg

o

mjwkr - your house is lovely!

CRHBobby - I like mjwkr's ideas about the ranch - here are my questions/suggestions..
1. do you need 4 bathrooms?
2. the bedroom closets are super small.
3. the hallway by the 3 bedrooms needs to be wider.
4. I wouldn't want my pwdr room in the entry to my master.
5 agree about bed placement in the bedrooms with windows.
6 although i love the large kitchen - i like a window above the sink
7 the master bath and closet need a makeover. I wouldn't want the potty to be the first thing i pass by every time i need to go into the bathroom or closet. do like it that there is a separate water closet with the window tho!!

o

Thanks for the comments... Upon dwelling on these ranch plans....I think there is just too much wasted space in the form of hallways. So back to searching for another plan. I found a slightly smaller plan that seems to be more efficient with space.

See it here: https://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan_details.cfm?PlanNumber=61271#top

It isn't perfect...the master needs more closet space. The pantry is small. I am considering possibly taking some space from the dining room to make a second closet. There seems to be no hall closets or other storage closets. The living room/theater room would be a den for us. We will be building it with a 3 car garage. I also noted the laundry room didn't have a place to do any folding. I am considering bumping out the master bath out even with the 3rd car garage....and expanding the laundry room and add some room to make larger master closets. We are deleting the garden tub and putting in a large 2 person shower.

What are your thoughts?

This post was edited by CRHBobby on Sat, May 17, 14 at 21:38

o

Here is my .02. You addressed one of your concerns but this plan has many of the same items I listed as your first ranch plan.

1.) No basement stairs and no real good place to put them
2.) No front entry closet
3.) You already mentioned it but master closet needs work
4.) The garage entrance will be tight (The closet door and garage door look like they would hit if the closet is open when someone is walking in).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here